Hard vs Soft Tubing

What should I do?

I know hard line is harder to install, but looks better. I just wanted to know if there is any risk because soft tubing is softer so it could break more easily.

Any advice, ideas, or pros and cons lists would be so helpful!

Hard tubing is riskier. Soft tubing is thick and very bendy, it won't break from bending.

Hard tubing is way riskier because it involves heating and bending a rigid material, as well as you run more risks from the fittings leaking if not done properly, as you have joints, etc, fitted on all throughout

EDIT: By way riskier I mean it still isn't problematic if you do it correctly, just way riskier unless you understand how it all properly works

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Well I would agree, hard line does look better. However, it is more costly and is MUCH more challenging. So for a beginner I would strongly recommend soft tubing. Learn how everything works and is put together. Naturalize it. Once you do that first build and feel comfortable with, then go hard lined. It has a big learning curve when bending the tubes.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Just now, Orangeator said:

Well I would agree, hard line does look better. However, it is more costly and is MUCH more challenging. So for a beginner I would strongly recommend soft tubing.

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

Glasstubing4lyfe! There shouldn't be any risk with soft tubing assuming you put it together correctly.

1 minute ago, Statik said:

Hard tubing is riskier. Soft tubing is thick and very bendy, it won't break from bending.

Hard tubing is way riskier because it involves heating and bending a rigid material, as well as you run more risks from the fittings leaking if not done properly, as you have joints, etc, fitted on all throughout

EDIT: By way riskier I mean it still isn't problematic if you do it correctly, just way riskier unless you understand how it all properly works

Ok, thanks guys. I was considering hardline but I have never done a custom loop before, so this should be interesting.

Thanks again!

Just now, boltoflightning said:

@Orangeator @RGProductions @Statik 

This is slightly more off topic, but should I get a pump reservoir combo, or separate units?

I wouldn't know. My only experience with liquid cooling is through video.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

10 minutes ago, boltoflightning said:

@Orangeator @RGProductions @Statik 

This is slightly more off topic, but should I get a pump reservoir combo, or separate units?

I would say Pump Combo.they usually look better and takes 1 item off your list to check for compatability.

15 minutes ago, Statik said:

Not neccarily. Just spend 400 on 90 degree fittings

My life

12 hours ago, Statik said:

There's nothing inherently risky about bending itself. It's not easy, getting it to look perfect if that's the goal, but "heating and bending a rigid material" such as PETG is just fine, no risk at all unless you count the fact you're working with high heat and might burn yourself. PETG doesn't break from bending. I've bent more tubes than I've had hot dinners, and I've never had a single tube break. Sure, bends that look terrible, deformed and don't fit, but break, no.

Hard tubing scares some people off, but it's not rocket science... the tricky bit is knowing how long to heat the tube and how much of the tube surface area to cover. Once you get the hang of that, it's pretty straightforward. Then all you need to do is measure accurately, chamfer tube ends to avoid damaging o-rings, and then ensure tubes are fully inserted in to your fittings. Job done! Soft tubing is undoubtedly a quicker (and cheaper) process, but I don't think it necessarily helps someone prepare for the job of going hard line... they're quite different processes really apart from the basic fundamentals, which you should have a solid grasp of before you even attempt watercooling anyway. Half your job is done with adequate planning and research before you even pick up a tool.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

Hard pipe looks better and you can cut out buying a lot of 90's, 45's, and other offsets, but it will take you some time and pipe to learn how to do it right. Soft tubing is easy and quicker to get up and running with.

Hit the Funny Button!    :D     The more you press it the funnier you get  :)

---------------------------------------------->

Projekt Wasserturm  Office/Game Room Remodel

On 3/11/2017 at 10:27 PM, boltoflightning said:

A Res/Pump combo will save you a couple fittings and the tube run from one to the other.

It might also save you some space.

If you go this route, consider a tube res over a bay res as a tube res will be easier to fill than a bay res.

---

+1 for res/pump combo, definitely easier to deal with. Only reason for separates is for aesthetics or if you were really limited on space and had to split them apart.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti