What's a good, well-priced DAC amp?

Swiftfeather

I just recently realized that my main's computer audio output is far quieter than my laptops, and figured it's time to get a DAC amp. What would be a good DAC amp to buy? I have a pair of Sennheiser HD439's that I use as my daily drivers but sometimes I'll use my HD 599's. Another thing that would be really awesome is if it can be sold by Best Buy since I've got a gift card for them.

CPU: i7-7700K | GPU: ASUS RTX 2080 Super | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Motherboard: MSI M5 Gaming | SSDs: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo + 120GB Kingston SSDNow + 500GB SK hynix SL308 500GB  | HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB 

The Schiit Fulla 2. I can't imagine Best Buy sells external DAC/amps worth owning, if they have any at all.

37 minutes ago, SSL said:

The Schiit Fulla 2. I can't imagine Best Buy sells external DAC/amps worth owning, if they have any at all.

First time I've seen the fulla 2, it''s caught my attention, I'm currently using the Magni/Modi 1 stack, do you think the fulla will be around the same performance level. The reason I'm asking is because it takes up A LOT of space on my desktop and I need something of a smaller footprint.

8 minutes ago, Brynjar said:

First time I've seen the fulla 2, it''s caught my attention, I'm currently using the Magni/Modi 1 stack, do you think the fulla will be around the same performance level. The reason I'm asking is because it takes up A LOT of space on my desktop and I need something of a smaller footprint.

Easily. I have to note that you will lose maximum output power, but you're probably not making use of 1W into 32 ohms anyway.

Schitt Jotunheim it's $499 for DAC / AMP combo and $399 for AMP only.

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

3 hours ago, Xsinar said:

Schitt Jotunheim it's $499 for DAC / AMP combo and $399 for AMP only.

Don't you think that is a bit overkill for 125-200$ headphones? :D 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

6 hours ago, Brynjar said:

a lot of space? Magni/modi are pretty small...

though fulla is about half the size.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

On 3/11/2017 at 2:33 PM, Dackzy said:

Don't you think that is a bit overkill for 125-200$ headphones? :D 

Sure but you won't need any other DAC / AMP when you plan to upgrade in the future. No need to worry about it ever... :)

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

7 minutes ago, Xsinar said:

Sure but you won't need any other DAC / AMP when you plan to upgrade in the future. No need to worry about it ever... :)

a lot of people don't ever even plan to get anything better than what OP already has :D 

I would personal prefer the Audio-GD NFB 11 over the Jotunheim

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

27 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

a lot of people don't ever even plan to get anything better than what OP already has :D 

I would personal prefer the Audio-GD NFB 11 over the Jotunheim

nod-yes-contemplating-agreeing-Jack-Blac

Fulla 2 all the way. It is small, compact, affordable and it sounds great.

Got one and I did not regret it :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2017 at 11:55 PM, SSL said:

Easily. I have to note that you will lose maximum output power, but you're probably not making use of 1W into 32 ohms anyway.

I'm using the Magni/Modi stack to power up my HE400s and my AKG K7XX. The fulla should be plenty, right ?

46 minutes ago, Brynjar said:

I'm using the Magni/Modi stack to power up my HE400s and my AKG K7XX. The fulla should be plenty, right ?

Should be fine.