RYZEN Vs Intel for streaming and 1080p 60fps gaming

13 minutes ago, Ahajha said:

So hypothetically, with an i7-7700 and a GTX 1050Ti, could they get simultaneous 1080p/60fps gaming and streaming? They would likely start with only a 60Hz monitor, so maybe an average of 50fps would be acceptable, and not a lot of fancy graphics affects like MSAA and the like. 

Unfortunately, what games they would decide to play are totally up in the air, though for starters they would probably play Destiny 2, as Destiny is their primary game on PS4 at the moment.

I urge you to go for a RX470 instead of a 1050Ti

it's way more powerful for the same price.

1 minute ago, Ahajha said:

To keep upfront costs low, we may forgo a GPU at first if possible. This was one of the big points of Intel, is that they're going to have graphics with the CPU.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

To keep upfront costs low, we may forgo a GPU at first if possible. This was one of the big points of Intel, is that they're going to have graphics with the CPU.

But don't you need to be able to run a game before you can stream a game?

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

11 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

I urge you to go for a RX470 instead of a 1050Ti

it's way more powerful for the same price.

I don't know too much about the AMD side of GPUs, but I will definitely look into the RX470.

But don't you need to be able to run a game before you can stream a game?

They're on PS4 at the time being, but at some point (I hope) they will start mixing in PC games.

11 hours ago, Ahajha said:

They're on PS4 at the time being, but at some point (I hope) they will start mixing in PC games.

so... why stream from a PC at all?

you can capture and stream video from a PS4 IIRC.

my point still stands. you can't stream a game from your PC, if you can't run the game on your PC in the first place.

therefore the rig should include a GPU

11 hours ago, Ahajha said:

I don't know too much about the AMD side of GPUs, but I will definitely look into the RX470.

It's slightly lower than 1060 3GB performance, and can be had for as low as $115

Desktop:

Laptop:

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

so... why stream from a PC at all?

you can capture and stream video from a PS4 IIRC.

my point still stands. you can't stream a game from your PC, if you can't run the game on your PC in the first place.

therefore the rig should include a GPU

I forgot a key detail lol. They want overlays, which the PS4 can't provide, and currently all they have is an older Macbook air (I forget a lot of the specs, but it's something like a dual core at 1.6 GHz).

And the PC will at first just be for adding those overlays, then adding a GPU later on will allow PC games to be played and streamed. I hope that clarified things.

Just now, Ahajha said:

I forgot a key detail lol. They want overlays, which the PS4 can't provide, and currently all they have is an older Macbook air (I forget a lot of the specs, but it's something like a dual core at 1.6 GHz).

And the PC will at first just be for adding those overlays, then adding a GPU later on will allow PC games to be played and streamed. I hope that clarified things.

ah ok.

might be difficult to do that in realtime though.

Desktop:

Laptop:

ah ok.

might be difficult to do that in realtime though.

Please explain "difficult to do that in realtime"

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zNPbr7

Here's a list I threw together with all of your input. If they start without the GPU, they're looking at about $600.

Please critique.

5 minutes ago, Ahajha said:

Here's a list I threw together with all of your input. If they start without the GPU, they're looking at about $600.

Please critique.

Better PSUs for cheaper: 

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/4Vzv6h/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii430b

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/fZyFf7/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii520bronze

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/nB3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii620bronze

This is actually cheaper than your build and you get around 15% more performance from the RX 480:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($295.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($104.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 480 4GB Dual Video Card  ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($46.89 @ Newegg)
Total: $822.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-11 02:43 EST-0500

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Better PSUs for cheaper: 

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/4Vzv6h/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii430b

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/fZyFf7/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii520bronze

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/nB3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii620bronze

This is actually cheaper than your build and you get around 15% more performance from the RX 480:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($295.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($104.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 480 4GB Dual Video Card  ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($46.89 @ Newegg)
Total: $822.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-11 02:43 EST-0500

While it's not of dire importance, I think a semi-modular power supply would be nice, though if it's going to be an additional $50 just for that feature then it can be forgotten.

I think the build you put out should be pretty much ideal, thank you for your help.

Just now, Ahajha said:

While it's not of dire importance, I think a semi-modular power supply would be nice, though if it's going to be an additional $50 just for that feature then it can be forgotten.

I think the build you put out should be pretty much ideal, thank you for your help.

This is $50, fully modular:  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Well, let's be really lazy here and start with https://pcpartpicker.com/user/paulshardware/saved/rMgK8d?ref=paul

The reason I say Ryzen is it has room to expand into productivity if they decide they want to do anything with editing or video creation for every benchmark I've seen.

I'm not super up to date on the boards however, there might be a better board to run with, and I'd personally go for a better cooler and more Case fans...

1 minute ago, Mothballs said:

Well, let's be really lazy here and start with https://pcpartpicker.com/user/paulshardware/saved/rMgK8d?ref=paul

The reason I say Ryzen is it has room to expand into productivity if they decide they want to do anything with editing or video creation for every benchmark I've seen.

I'm not super up to date on the boards however, there might be a better board to run with, and I'd personally go for a better cooler and more Case fans...

I appreciate the reply, but $1000 without even including the mobo is very likely going to be out of their budget. I've somewhat settled on a $600 build without GPU, ~$800 with. The main benefit of Intel is the integrated graphics, meaning they don't have to bear the cost of a discrete GPU upfront, and it's a touch cheaper. If they go with a GPU upfront, we may consider Ryzen.

Just now, Ahajha said:

I appreciate the reply, but $1000 without even including the mobo is very likely going to be out of their budget. I've somewhat settled on a $600 build without GPU, ~$800 with. The main benefit of Intel is the integrated graphics, meaning they don't have to bear the cost of a discrete GPU upfront, and it's a touch cheaper. If they go with a GPU upfront, we may consider Ryzen.

I suppose. I do really suggest Ryzen if they are even thinking about productivity tasks however.

Also, be Aware that that Intel board is on the B250 chipset. It's more of a business orientated board with no frills, no room for expansion, and no overclocking potential. One PCI-e slot, two RAM slots. Also only Supports DDR4 2400/2133 non-ECC, un-buffered memory. It might be okay in the short term, but if you decide to upgrade at all, your path is "Buy a New Motherboard and Ram."

10 hours ago, Mothballs said:

I suppose. I do really suggest Ryzen if they are even thinking about productivity tasks however.

Also, be Aware that that Intel board is on the B250 chipset. It's more of a business orientated board with no frills, no room for expansion, and no overclocking potential. One PCI-e slot, two RAM slots. Also only Supports DDR4 2400/2133 non-ECC, un-buffered memory. It might be okay in the short term, but if you decide to upgrade at all, your path is "Buy a New Motherboard and Ram."

Most of the things you're suggesting aren't really concerns. They're both full time teachers, they wouldn't have time to edit videos. I don't really think they're going to overclock, especially since they're both new to PCs. From the looks of it, the board has a 16x PCIe slot and two 1x slots, so one GPU and a capture card, should they go with a PCIe form, would fit. I also don't think multiple graphics cards are going to be a concern of theirs. 

Obviously I'm going to consult with them about pretty much everything I pick out, but for their current upgrade path their doesn't need to be much headroom past a basic gaming PC.

Though I would like to ask, what speed RAM should I look at? Are streaming builds going to be a little more picky with RAM speed and features in terms of performance?

10 minutes ago, Ahajha said:

Though I would like to ask, what speed RAM should I look at? Are streaming builds going to be a little more picky with RAM speed and features in terms of performance?

With Kabylake, the B250/H270 support up to 2400MHz.

The Ryzen motherboards support as far as the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) can go... as do the Z-Series Intel boards.

Skylake (H110, B150, H170) support up to 2133MHz.

16 minutes ago, Ahajha said:

Most of the things you're suggesting aren't really concerns. They're both full time teachers, they wouldn't have time to edit videos. I don't really think they're going to overclock, especially since they're both new to PCs. From the looks of it, the board has a 16x PCIe slot and two 1x slots, so one GPU and a capture card, should they go with a PCIe form, would fit. I also don't think multiple graphics cards are going to be a concern of theirs. 

Obviously I'm going to consult with them about pretty much everything I pick out, but for their current upgrade path their doesn't need to be much headroom past a basic gaming PC.

I suppose not. I tend to think in terms of overall longevity and possible upgrade paths, so my concern is always that first and foremost.

If just straight gaming is the goal, with no plans for Youtube, The build should be fine. Though one should be aware that there are many teachers and others that do Edit and upload Youtube content as a hobby, so much agreement with talking to them about it. One can assume too much.

12 minutes ago, Ahajha said:

I'm not entirely sure on that to be quite honest. I know that RAM speed doesn't have too terribly much of an impact on games (But can impact productivity related tasks.) I believe in the long run the internet connection will be more of a bottleneck then the RAM, however. Once again, I look at things from a "How much can I get out of this system for how long" view.

9 hours ago, Ahajha said:

Please critique.

This build has already been critiqued, but you can get an RX470 for WAY cheaper.

Also, you could get a slightly cheaper cooler, because you won't be overclocking.

you could also go for a $25 case, because looks probably don't matter all that much.

Desktop:

Laptop:

54 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

This build has already been critiqued, but you can get an RX470 for WAY cheaper.

Also, you could get a slightly cheaper cooler, because you won't be overclocking.

you could also go for a $25 case, because looks probably don't matter all that much.

Even at that link you sent me, the price shows at $169.99, I don't know where you're getting that price.

Also they do want a case with a side panel, and the NZXT one actually looks great for a pretty decent price. 

6 minutes ago, Ahajha said:

Even at that link you sent me, the price shows at $169.99, I don't know where you're getting that price.

Also they do want a case with a side panel, and the NZXT one actually looks great for a pretty decent price. 

Read the rest of the post.

it says that if you use the code Triple15 at checkout, you can get 15% off.

then, you can go to ASUS's website and get a $30 MIR.

Desktop:

Laptop:

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

Read the rest of the post.

it says that if you use the code Triple15 at checkout, you can get 15% off.

then, you can go to ASUS's website and get a $30 MIR.

They do have a small amount of cash saved which can be used for "really good deals", do you think this is good enough of a deal to give the go-ahead?

They do have a small amount of cash saved which can be used for "really good deals", do you think this is good enough of a deal to give the go-ahead?

Eh. not really.

you can consistently find RX 470s going for about $130 including rebate.

Desktop:

Laptop:

10 hours ago, stconquest said:

lol, I only stream for my niece... she liked MC.  So I streamed from early stage to dragon.

My sound was messed up on the first stream.  I was talking to her on the phone. 

I forgot I am running this on a server, on the same PC... so that is another core gone.

@ivan134  I set it to the dragon fight... the 40 minute dragon fight... lol... if you are tremendously bored.  xD

Lol, I don't play Minecraft. Thanks anyway

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

12 hours ago, Ahajha said:

The Graphics wont be nearly enough. The main performance boosters I have currently ONLY for gaming are the GPU and SSD (SSD for loading times but also for general purpose computery stuff) If you want to stream you need to spend big on a CPU.

Just now, Ru5h said:

The Graphics wont be nearly enough. The main performance boosters I have currently ONLY for gaming are the GPU and SSD (SSD for loading times but also for general purpose computery stuff) If you want to stream you need to spend big on a CPU.

Like I said before, the PC will just be for streaming until they can afford a graphics card, after which it will be used for PC gaming AND streaming.