4G LTE questions

MusicMayne

Howdy,

I live in a rural area and currently on Frontier DSL which is getting worse and worse.  No other internet options are in my area besides satellite and that's definitely a no no.  

Main thing this would be for is multiplayer PC gaming but how would the ping/latency be?  Decent?

I'm guessing certain phones only work w/ 4g lte and not backwards compatible correct?

Help a newb out!

You can actually buy proper 4G internet modems but the ping is going to be pretty bad.

Just did a speedtest on my phone, I live in the City Centre (where you'd expect amazing 4G coverage) and it's 3AM too which helps. Ping is 34ms which isn't really amazing or terrible. Thing with all mobile internet is that it's variable, so at some parts of the day you could be getting 100ms ping and sometimes 10ms. In the country, expect worse.

Sometimes my internet is 60ms and I'm fine with that, sometimes its 200ms and I'm still okay with it.  When its 500ms+ that is when I rage.

Everyone suggestions are welcome - cause I know nothing on phones or 3g/4g lte.

Ping310.png

im on a 4G modem and my ping is 60ms but in my area ADSL is also 60 on gaming servers. 4G is shit loads faster than the local ADSL and 1/2 the price so it works out for me

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

@SCHISCHKA

What name brand modem?  I might look into that.

If 4g ran at a solid 150ms at all times I would be well satisfied.

11 minutes ago, MusicMayne said:

@SCHISCHKA

What name brand modem?  I might look into that.

If 4g ran at a solid 150ms at all times I would be well satisfied.

Its a cheap huawei provided by the ISP

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

22 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

im on a 4G modem and my ping is 60ms but in my area ADSL is also 60 on gaming servers. 4G is shit loads faster than the local ADSL and 1/2 the price so it works out for me

Usually ADSL is fast enough for gaming but anything else like streaming or updating games. Nope. 

Magical Pineapples

15 hours ago, MusicMayne said:

Howdy,

I live in a rural area and currently on Frontier DSL which is getting worse and worse.  No other internet options are in my area besides satellite and that's definitely a no no.  

Main thing this would be for is multiplayer PC gaming but how would the ping/latency be?  Decent?

I'm guessing certain phones only work w/ 4g lte and not backwards compatible correct?

Help a newb out!

It comes down to a few things. Up until recently in the US Tmobile was the only one to have Unlimited data. So you need to check what limits you might have a data. Also, you need to pick a provider with the best coverage and speeds. 

Keep in mind most wireless providers do throttle speeds after so much data has been used. T Mobile deprioritizes data of top users, However I did see a Tmobile customer post over 200Gigs used in a month. I follow John Leger T Mobiles CEO on twiter, he retweetd it. Just be aware of any limits. Pings on Wireless wont be great or bad, all depends on relation to you and the tower. 

Most if not all phones today have LTE radios in them. The only ones that dont tend to be cheap pay as you go phones. The only other advice I can give you, is stay the fuck away from Sprint, their customer service and network suck ass. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.