Is i5-7600K an overkill for me?

midix

I'm building a mATX system because I don't want big ATX boxes anymore.

The system will be used for work - programming, running virtual machines, and also for watching movies and occasional gaming (mostly simulators at 1080 resolution).

Currently my main CPU choice is i5-7500 and some H or B series motherboard. But I'm also thinking about being futureproof, as I rarely change PCs (I'm on i3-2120 now, have been rock stable for 6 years).

So, I'm considering - maybe I should pay more for i5-7600K and corresponding components (Z series board, better power supply, better cooler) and also do a slight overclock; at least as sanely and safely (don't want to get a BSOD during software debugging session) possible in a mATX case with modest size&price cooler (e.g. Noctua NH-U12S).

From my calculations, total price increase for a i5-7600K system would be about 25% of the price of an i5-7500 system.

The question is - will this 25% price increase yield me at least 25% of additional CPU performance, considering all the limitations (mATX, medium cooler, modest overclock)?

Even non-overclocked difference between i5-7500 and i5-7600K seems noteworthy - 400 MHz and I'm sure that even in mATX case I could add at least 200 MHz more, but is it worth it and will it run stable enough?

I don't think it is worth it. TBH you get only overclocking ability. If you did upgrade get an i7 instead

To answer your question,

No. You will not see a 25% difference, and in most cases you wont see a noticeable difference at all between a 7500 and a 7600k. For cost and return on performance where you aren't doing anything crazy hard on the PC, I would recommend the 7500.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

7500 System (theoretical)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DyNfGf

Swap JUST CPU to 7700, ACTUAL ~25% CPU gain (not per core, but you will love the extra cores when running VM')

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dV87d6

7600K, bare minimum (with decent quality) to update, higher price than i7

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s6fJPs

Personal opinion? go with i7 over i5 unlocked because the i5 is more gaming only, especially K series CPU, where core speed>core count... typically. 

Swap JUST CPU to 7700, ACTUAL ~25% CPU  gain

Hmm, thanks, you got me thinking... maybe indeed I'll be able to rearrange my budget to get 7700.

5 minutes ago, midix said:

Hmm, thanks, you got me thinking... maybe indeed I'll be able to rearrange my budget to get 7700.

A 7700 would be by far the better idea for you.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED