Do I really need a anti-virus?

Hi,

so I only use my computer for games and doing school project and that it all. I don't go on fishy web site, i don't download illegal stuff with it.

ao do I really need one and should Microsoft built in one be fine?

thanks!

No Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender) is more than enough.

i9-11900K @ 5.1ghz;   RTX 3090 FE @ 2ghz;   ROG Maximus XII Hero;   4266mhz G.Skill 16GB DDR4;

Windows defender is not an anti-virus software, but it's quite effective against malware.

I haven't used any anti virus software in years, but since you have to ask I guess you're not 100% confident, maybe it's wise to install something, there's some really good free ones like Avast.

Does you mum know you're here?

Windows Smart Screen is enough. Just be sure to be careful when windows smart screen can't verify the publisher.  

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

1 minute ago, auraofjason said:

No Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender) is more than enough.

Yeah... no. I had old pcs years ago that straight up died because MSE didn't stop any viruses or harmful programs.

Most viruses come from ads, so in this day in age adblock is a requirement. You can still whitelist some sites and youtubers that you want to support.

Adblock and malwarebytes = no viruses

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

As long as you don't "have fun" on shady websites then you'll be fine. Just make sure when you are exploring websites that you don't click on a bad one. As for me, I'm just sticking with Windows Defender.

Desktop:  Intel Core i5-6400 | Zalman CNPS9500AT CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 1050 SC GAMING 2GB | 1x8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Gigabyte H170N-WIFI | Intel 600p 256GB SSD | Seagate Firecuda 1TB SSHDCorsair CX450M (Gray Version) PSU | Thermaltake Core V1 Mini-ITX Case |

Just now, Inception9269 said:

Yeah... no. I had old pcs years ago that straight up died because MSE didn't stop any viruses or harmful programs.

Most viruses come from ads, so in this day in age adblock is a requirement. You can still whitelist some sites and youtubers that you want to support.

NoScript

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Common sense goes a long way

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

Common sense goes a long way

Do you have a link? Cant seem to find it on the chrome store.

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

Never hurts to install a free anti-virus as well.  I personally like Bitdefender -- it runs in the background and doesn't bombard you with ads and offer (*cough* AVG *cough*).

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

13 minutes ago, IrshaadH said:

Never hurts to install a free anti-virus as well.  I personally like Bitdefender -- it runs in the background and doesn't bombard you with ads and offer (*cough* AVG *cough*).

I had Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. I think I deleted Malwarebytes because I think it detected stuff but didn't quarantine it. Windows Defender did do that and a handy notification that tells you to scan your computer when it detects something.

42 minutes ago, Inception9269 said:

The battlefield has changed a lot since back in the days. Today, most people wouldn't even notice if their PC had malware running on it in the first place.

[ Intel i7-6700K ][ Asus TUF Sabertooth Mk1 Z170 ][ Gigabyte GTX 780ti ][ 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z ][ Corsair Obsidian 900D ]

[ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80+ PLATINUM ][ 1x512GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 (OS) ][ 3x512GB Samsung 850 Pro RAID 0 ][ 1x5TB WD Black ]

IF YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET YOU SHOULD HAVE SOME FORM OF PROTECTION, I don't care where you go or don't go, several MAJOR websites (like sites people use for homepages) have been infected with Mal-ware and virus's that infected users computers from opening the site. if you are on Windows 10 you can probably get by with just the built in stuff but anything prior to 10 NEEDS ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE. Also run Adblock like stating a good bit of Mal-Ware comes in through the adds.

just use SMADAV 2017, light software use but effective.