Quad Core CPU only using 2 Cores

Matt8445

So odd thing I have here and hoping someone can give me some insight.  I have a laptop, Dell Precision 7510, computer with a Intel Core i7-6820HQ CPU.  This is a quad core cpu at 2.7GHz.

My issue is that I use a program that is super CPU heavy on thing and I was noticing it running a little slower.  I look at my task manager in the performance tab to check out its cpu usage.  I notice in there it is only showing that windows is only seeing it as having 2 cores, not 4.  Same with the logical processors.  This does not seem at all right to me. Attached is a screenshot of what I am seeing

I also have HWinFO installed to view my system setting.  On there it shows that there are 4 cores, and 4 logical cpu's. Another screen shot attached.  If you look at the usage on the monitors there you can see it is only using 2 of the available 4 cores.

I guess my question is what is going on with that and does anyone know why this is happening or how to fix this so I can use all 4 cores?

I had a very strange thing that basically knocked out my machine around Christmas.  It is a Dell machine that booted with an error and launched in a weird recovery thing that summary of it all caused me to have to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows.  I am not sure if my problem is in some way related to this because I do not ever remember seeing this issue prior to that.  Just a random thought with that. 

CPU Cores.PNG

hwin 2.PNG

The thread was moved to the Troubelshooting section.

Try to check if the core are disabled in the BIOS, that might be the case?

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

It seems like HT + some cores are disabled from the BIOS. However, your HWinfo shows 4 logical cores while your CPU should have 8 if I'm not mistaken... And I think no matter the BIOS settings, hardware monitoring software are showing the default layout of the cores, so it should show 8 threads even though some are deactivated in the BIOS

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

You don't have Hyper-Threading enabled as well by the looks of it.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Check the setting in msconfig -> startup -> windows 10 -> advanced settings -> amount of cpus.

It should be unticked.

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

Attached is what was checked in the msconfig - boot - advanced boot options tab.  I have now unchecked.  Going to restart and peek around in the bios and see what happens.  

Thanks for the guidance.

Matt

msconfig 2.PNG

Now look at this, thanks for the suggestions.  Unchecked the box in MSCONFIG.

Looked through bios and there was a setting for enabling cores. It had radio buttons and it was checked at 2. I checked the all option.

Also noticed I did not have hyperthreading enabled.  Not sure why or how all of this got adjusted.  There was a bios update on my machine a few weeks about maybe it happened then.  Not sure but either way thanks for the help everyone.

Matt

CPU 3.PNG

42 minutes ago, Matt8445 said:

Now look at this, thanks for the suggestions.  Unchecked the box in MSCONFIG.

Looked through bios and there was a setting for enabling cores. It had radio buttons and it was checked at 2. I checked the all option.

Also noticed I did not have hyperthreading enabled.  Not sure why or how all of this got adjusted.  There was a bios update on my machine a few weeks about maybe it happened then.  Not sure but either way thanks for the help everyone.

Matt

CPU 3.PNG

Woohoo! Problem solved :)

i blame the flaky BIOS for the 2015 precisions, it's still not stable, does your 7510 by any chance boot up sometimes to a black screen once windows loads ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Yes I get that maybe once or twice a week. Overall I like the machine, but boy it is a bit buggy with certain things.  Dell support on it is hit or miss too.

Okay so this may not actually be resolved.  The cause of the problem is resolved. I go into the bios and adjust some settings.  Main two options are in photos attached.  However I am noticing that the bios don't seem to be holding.  Sometimes it is every reboot, some time it is every two or three reboots, but it is a bit sporadic.

Since people were right on with what to look for last time I am hoping someone might have some great idea as to why this is happening too.

Thanks,

Matt

2017-03-13 08.54.00 (Large).jpg

2017-03-13 08.54.19 (Large).jpg

• 5 years later...

I see this is a old thread but I'm hoping to get a reply to my worry. My pc is about 6-7 years old by this point and I have just seen this on my pc now. If I change it from within windows and for some reason it starts to crash my PC as the cpu is old by this point. Can I revert to my 2 cores from my BIOS or? Because I can't afford a new CPU or computer at the moment haha. My motherboard is a gigabyte board my bios is American Megatrends from 2015 damn Thats old ayy