So I broke down and did something I normally wouldn't do I feel like a PC Snob

Misanthrope

I got a mechanical keyboard.

This one specifically:

61To3d9WMlL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/TOMOKO-Mechanical-Keyboard-Water-Resistant-Anti-ghosting/dp/B01DBJTZU2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488934566&sr=8-1&keywords=TOMOKO+MMC023

As you can see this was really cheap just 35 bucks (got it from Amazon Mexico but it was the equivalent plus a bit of import tax so maybe 40 bucks) along with a KVM switch since I'll be doing home office from now on from work I figured I'd be handy to not fiddle around ackwardly with the laptop on the desk and just have one of my monitors switch between work and play so to speak so I can keep an eye on both without much issues.

Plus is fairly small the 10 keyless layout works out good for the tiny desk I have here. Mechanical keys feel....like clicky. Very very clicky this thing has Kali blues and even though I feel like I'm bottoming the keys out specially on the space bar (which is way more stiff than the rubberdome keyboards I have) I think I am getting a bit more speed and such when typing (Though nowhere near my max speed my hands are very numb and stiff, medical condition)

But I still feel like a bit of a PC Snob: I always advocated for saving money where it doesn't matters as much but now that I'm going mechanical I might change my mind specially with this cheap cherry knock offs that seem to perform rather well, durability remains to be seen however.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Mechs, especially coming from chiclet, are really unusual and satisfying. I play TF2 far better on MX Reds than I do Razer switches and chiclet. 

It's definitely not a bad idea to go for a mechanical keyboard if you wanted to go for one. Not to mention you got some pretty decent switches too. 

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

But I still feel like a bit of a PC Snob: I always advocated for saving money where it doesn't matters as much but now that I'm going mechanical I might change my mind specially with this cheap cherry knock offs that seem to perform rather well, durability remains to be seen however.

I wouldn't feel too bad about it...  When you think about it, the keyboard, mouse and monitor are how you interact with your computer so if the user experience on the interface sucks, it makes the day worse and lowers productivity.  

I got a bit frustrated since I needed a smaller keyboard for my desk and there really isn't many (a.k.a. almost none at all) membrane 10 keyless. I had a previous bluetooth one that I got for like 4 bucks but well it's just shit it looses connection randomly even when fully charged and right up against the bluetooth receptor.

But I might stay on mechanical keyboards from now on for the keys and not just for the fancier tiny sizes and such. Do we have LTT keycaps for escape or such or that hasn't been done?

-------

Current Rig

-------

There is only one way it will make you a PC snob.  Is if you constantly brag like a mainstream idiot about your mechanical keyboard and the fact you built your own computer.  Man...  I hate those people, they act like they know it all, and like they are better just because they use a keyboard with mechanical keys and they know how to put pieces together without breaking anything. 

So don't worry... you're not a snob. 

Just now, Cool Guy said:

There is only one way it will make you a PC snob.  Is if you constantly brag like a mainstream idiot about your mechanical keyboard and the fact you built your own computer.  Man...  I hate those people, they act like they know it all, and like they are better just because they use a keyboard with mechanical keys and they know how to put pieces together without breaking anything. 

So don't worry... you're not a snob. 

My rig is usually dusty, on a shitty small desk, etc. I am a very utilitarian kinda guy and did build myself but just because I was too cheap to actually buy prebuilds for gaming or consoles xD

Maybe thats the PC Master Race secret: overcompensating for being cheap bastards.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Maybe thats the PC Master Race secret: overcompensating for being cheap bastards.

Shhhhh....  You'll let the secret out....  Then how am I supposed to lord my cheap - ergh, superiority over everyone else. ;)

Just now, Misanthrope said:

My rig is usually dusty, on a shitty small desk, etc. I am a very utilitarian kinda guy and did build myself but just because I was too cheap to actually buy prebuilds for gaming or consoles xD

Nothing is wrong with having a good PC, or building your PC, or buying expensive things.  But there is a problem with acting like your better than everyone else because of it.  And claiming your smart because you can put some pieces together.   The whole "PC master race" thing is a pile of crap.  It's crap to make people without jobs and who spend all their time gaming on a computer they spent 2 years wages on better. 

9 hours ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

How do you people function without a numpad?!

That's a good question. I used to think it was heresy myself. But since I got my last job they told me "Oh, your position needs a laptop" (which turns out to be true since I travel often and also need to visit several people on other departments and buildings for extended periods of time) and the laptops they have given me none of them have a numpad.

Turns out that believe it or not you do get used to type numbers with just the main numerical keys. In fact I do think I could do without the arrow keys as well but the keys I do wanted are page up, page down, home and end (They are fairly useful for excel to move around in very big workbooks and sheets) and while some smaller keyboards have em the 10 keyless also have them and are more commonly found (for example at this bargain prices vs the other smaller keyboards that because are less popular are ironically always more expensive)

-------

Current Rig

-------

11 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Mechs, especially coming from chiclet, are really unusual and satisfying. I play TF2 far better on MX Reds than I do Razer switches and chiclet. 

It's definitely not a bad idea to go for a mechanical keyboard if you wanted to go for one. Not to mention you got some pretty decent switches too. 

you know, i went from rubber dome budget office keyboard to G810 Orion, night and day difference

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

14 hours ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

Some people never use it, so I guess in that case you wouldn't miss it. Personally I work in accounts and use the numpad all day, and even at home I feel like I've had a limb sawn off if I don't have one, even on laptops.

16 hours ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

I don't punch in enough numbers to make the numpad worth it, so to me the numpad is virtually useless. It's very personal whether you need it or not

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, Minibois said:

I don't punch in enough numbers to make the numpad worth it, so to me the numpad is virtually useless. It's very personal whether you need it or not

17 hours ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

8 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

That's a good question. I used to think it was heresy myself. But since I got my last job they told me "Oh, your position needs a laptop" (which turns out to be true since I travel often and also need to visit several people on other departments and buildings for extended periods of time) and the laptops they have given me none of them have a numpad.

Turns out that believe it or not you do get used to type numbers with just the main numerical keys. In fact I do think I could do without the arrow keys as well but the keys I do wanted are page up, page down, home and end (They are fairly useful for excel to move around in very big workbooks and sheets) and while some smaller keyboards have em the 10 keyless also have them and are more commonly found (for example at this bargain prices vs the other smaller keyboards that because are less popular are ironically always more expensive)

3 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

Some people never use it, so I guess in that case you wouldn't miss it. Personally I work in accounts and use the numpad all day, and even at home I feel like I've had a limb sawn off if I don't have one, even on laptops.

Having worked in a job involving a lot of numeric data entry, a 10-key is just about required to perform the task with any ease.  That being said, if I needed the desk space provided by a 10-keyless board, I would probably pick up something like this Cherry Numpad (or cheaper equivalent) just to use on when I had large data entry tasks.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=14

cant say anything about this given that I play games on a $600 laptop.