Replacing GTX 1080 TIM need help ASAP!

Benb96
Go to solution Solved by WkdPaul,

what's on the side doesn't really matter, just make sure the core itself is clean.

Hey,

I'm in the middle of replacing the TIM of my Asus STRIX GTX 1080 OC graphics card as it was running way too hot

One quick question:

Do I need to bother getting all the thermal paste that has over spilled the sides when the manufacturer applied it? Or can I leave it.

either way what's the best method

image.jpg

How hot was it running?

Idle 60'c load 85'C.

thats beside the point now I've got it opened up 

what's on the side doesn't really matter, just make sure the core itself is clean.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, Benb96 said:

Idle 60'c load 85'C.

you can leave the surronding. apply it the same way like you do with cpu, a straight small line should do

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

Would I get better performance if I replaced the thermal pads as well?

1 minute ago, Benb96 said:

Would I get better performance if I replaced the thermal pads as well?

no, and you shouldn't mess about with those as they can all be different thicknesses 

Just now, 8-Bit Ninja said:

no, and you shouldn't mess about with those as they can all be different thicknesses 

Cheers. I'll let you know the results

7 minutes ago, Benb96 said:

Hey,

I'm in the middle of replacing the TIM of my Asus STRIX GTX 1080 OC graphics card as it was running way too hot

One quick question:

Do I need to bother getting all the thermal paste that has over spilled the sides when the manufacturer applied it? Or can I leave it.

either way what's the best method

image.jpg

i suggest watching some of linus´s videos or jayzwtwocents as u kinda want a good mount to fill it all up 

Just now, Markthebeginner said:

i suggest watching some of linus´s videos or jayzwtwocents as u kinda want a good mount to fill it all up 

but also not to much that it will insolate the heat 

TIM on the substrate is fine. The core itself doesn't look thoroughly clean in the picture, though. Did you use isopropyl alcohol?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Just now, MegaDave91 said:

TIM on the substrate is fine. The core itself doesn't look thoroughly clean in the picture, though. Did you use isopropyl alcohol?

Yeah I used the ArctiClean 2 part kit. Just applied some Arctic Silver 5 and now putting it back together 

16 minutes ago, Benb96 said:

Idle 60'c load 85'C.

Ya know... You won't see a lot of improvements because the card is probably designed to run at 60°C idle to keep the fans off... 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

36 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Ya know... You won't see a lot of improvements because the card is probably designed to run at 60°C idle to keep the fans off... 

Well unless the thermal interface material they used in the first place was very poor, you wont see much improvement, if anything at all.

That being said, it can't hurt to try. (Besides breaking something).

Test it and let us know the results.

After some very short testing, the GPU temperature after 30 minutes of BF1 was 64'C with fans no higher than 45%.

I'm saving up for a custom EKWB loop which will be awesome :D

9 hours ago, Benb96 said:

After some very short testing, the GPU temperature after 30 minutes of BF1 was 64'C with fans no higher than 45%.

I'm saving up for a custom EKWB loop which will be awesome :D

No thermal paste change in the world would give you a 21°C drop in temps. You could use toothpaste and get similar results to 'bad' TIM.

Pretty sure the test conditions changed.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

49 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

No thermal paste change in the world would give you a 21°C drop in temps. You could use toothpaste and get similar results to 'bad' TIM.

You are probably right, but it I'd definitely cooler and quieter. So I'm happy

I'm shocked your strix card ran that hot. Does anyone know if the manufacturer could have put on excessive thermal paste or didn't seat the heat spreader evenly. I have the same card in my office and Ive never hit temps even close to that. The highest Ive ever gotten it too was 71C and that was after hours of being maxed out.

1 hour ago, FloRolf said:

Enjoy your loop, but be warned. Those who venture into the realms of custom water cooling have trouble going back to air.

3 hours ago, John_Adams said:

I'm shocked your strix card ran that hot. Does anyone know if the manufacturer could have put on excessive thermal paste or didn't seat the heat spreader evenly. I have the same card in my office and Ive never hit temps even close to that. The highest Ive ever gotten it too was 71C and that was after hours of being maxed out.

There was ALOT of thermal paste on the GPU. Custom water cooling is just my next step I want to take :D

• 1 month later...

Any idea what the stock thermal pad thicknesses are?

On 3/7/2017 at 3:38 PM, deXxterlab97 said:

you can leave the surronding. apply it the same way like you do with cpu, a straight small line should do

Holy shit you're back!!!! :D 

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈