How Do I Interpret This Notation?

straight_stewie

For fun, I'm trying to calculate the sum of all non abundant positive numbers. I have successfully done this by calculating factors, then summing factors and determining if a number is abundant or perfect, then summing the ones that aren't.

However, that runs a little slow. I was searching for more information and I found this gem of a Wolfram page: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/AbundantNumber.html

The page gives a hint that would make this easy to accomplish with sets:

Every positive integer n with (modn)60 is abundant.

I am familiar with congruence, but I can't figure out how to read this notation, and a lengthy google search only turned up results about the "%" operator, and information about congruence.

Does anyone know what this quote is saying?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

As I understand it. Abundant numbers are those where: The divisor function of that number minus that number is greater than that number. That being said, the divisor function is the sum of all of the powers of that numbers divisors.... Wheww... Interesting!

So mod, modulus, %, modulo, is an operation that returns the remainder of a division. It is used quite a bit in programming typically when learning to convert to different bases, because you divide by the base and use the remainder as the digit. 

That being said I'm not sure what the quote means with (modn)60 <- this part i don't understand.

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

Btw what language are you programming in?

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

3 hours ago, VicBar said:

That being said I'm not sure what the quote means with (modn)60 <- this part i don't understand.

That's the part I'm hung on too. 

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I think this is your answer.

I'd never seen this notation. 

So that means that this: 

3 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

Every positive integer n with (modn)60 is abundant.

Means:
Every positive integer n is abundant if n - 60 is a multiple of n?

EDIT:: That can't be right.

What Languague tho? Maybe you can post it and we can help you optimize it.!

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

[OLD]

1 hour ago, VicBar said:

What Languague tho? Maybe you can post it and we can help you optimize it.!

I don't believe OP is asking about a programming language (unless you count whatever Wolfram Alpha uses)

2 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

Means:

Every positive integer n is abundant if n - 60 is a multiple of n?

EDIT:: That can't be right.

No, I think what they're saying is every positive integer n is an abundant number if it's a multiple of 60.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

No, I think what they're saying is every positive integer n is an abundant number if it's a multiple of 60.

I think you're right. Which means this fact is useless for my needs.

14 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

This isn't quite so. If you look at the list of abundant numbers they do not start at 60. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abundant_number

What is True is that every multiple of 60 is an abundant number. But not the other way around.

And sadly yeah it doesn't help you code @straight_stewie...

14 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I don't believe OP is asking about a programming language (unless you count whatever Wolfram Alpha uses

His post is because he finds his program a tad slow and was looking for a more optimal solution, such as using the mathematical function that defines abundant numbers.. seeing as we can't figure out quite how to interpret what he found on Wolfram Alpha, I was proposing we can optimize his code another way by looking at it.. Maybe the algorithm can be redesigned or the data structure he uses... That's why I ask what language he did it in. I don't know all programming languages.

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

[OLD]

10 minutes ago, VicBar said:

What is True is that every multiple of 60 is an abundant number.

That's what I said.

10 minutes ago, VicBar said:

His post is because he finds his program a tad slow and was looking for a more optimal solution, such as using the mathematical function that defines abundant numbers.. seeing as we can't figure out quite how to interpret what he found on Wolfram Alpha, I was proposing we can optimize his code another way by looking at it.. Maybe the algorithm can be redesigned or the data structure he uses... That's why I ask what language he did it in. I don't know all programming languages.

OP is only describing a design, not an implementation. The programming language is irrelevant (more or less).

I have successfully done this by calculating factors, then summing factors and determining if a number is abundant or perfect, then summing the ones that aren't.

However, that runs a little slow.

@M.Yurizaki, he is definitely talking about some implementation he has done. And this is Programming, so I thought it would offer to help with whatever code he has been running.

No, I think what they're saying is every positive integer n is an abundant number if it's a multiple of 60

What this says implies is that no multiple of 60 is an abundant number. 12, 18, 20, 24, 30, 36, 40, 42, 48, 54, 56, 60 .... are abundant numbers.

Sorry for being so anal about this but I'm actually in Descrete Math class right now :P

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

[OLD]

A number such that the sum of all its divisors (except itself) is greater than the number itself. Thus 12 is an abundant number, because its divisors, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 = 16, which is greater than 12.

You basically add up all the divisions and if that is more than it is abundant. 

20 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

For fun, I'm trying to calculate the sum of all non abundant positive numbers. I have successfully done this by calculating factors, then summing factors and determining if a number is abundant or perfect, then summing the ones that aren't.

However, that runs a little slow. I was searching for more information and I found this gem of a Wolfram page: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/AbundantNumber.html

I am familiar with congruence, but I can't figure out how to read this notation, and a lengthy google search only turned up results about the "%" operator, and information about congruence.

Seeing as you have done that task and looking to optimise it maybe you should post your solution. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 hours ago, VicBar said:

What this says implies is that no multiple of 60 is an abundant number. 12, 18, 20, 24, 30, 36, 40, 42, 48, 54, 56, 60 .... are abundant numbers.

Sorry for being so anal about this but I'm actually in Descrete Math class right now :P

If I said "every positive integer n is an abundant number only if it's a multiple of 60", then what you're saying would be correct.

I mean, I could word it as "every positive integer n if it's a multiple of 60 is an abundant number."

EDIT: I do realize that also implies an exclusive set, but eh, English is rampant with confusing syntax.

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

Seeing as you have done that task and looking to optimise it maybe you should post your solution. 

I'll post it in a while. I'm in the middle of optimizing the function that determines whether or not a number C can be written as the sum of two numbers in an array A, such that      A+ Aj = C. Initially I had implemented the solution the naive way, try every possible sum.

5 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

I'll post it in a while. I'm in the middle of optimizing the function that determines whether or not a number C can be written as the sum of two numbers in an array A, such that      A+ Aj = C. Initially I had implemented the solution the naive way, try every possible sum.

Are your numbers sorted?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

On 2017-03-06 at 0:49 PM, straight_stewie said:

mod partitions the set of real numbers. In first year math we used that notation. the set [6, 9 15] would satisfy (mod_n)3