PC Freeze Up, Becomes Unresponsive, & Requires Forced Restart

Long story short, my PC is custom built, and it freezes up and becomes unresponsive at times of light to heavy load. Literally will freeze up probably while typing this thread. Even when listening or watching a video it will freeze then stutter the audio. Ive reinstalled my OS 3 times, Win10, Win8, and Win7. All the same issue all installed on the same drive, so my SSD could be the issue but i want to rule out everything else first. Tried a RAM test with some software, forgot what it was but it took almost 18hrs to do, so i stopped it. Please help.

Build:
Motherboard:  EVGA 152-HW-E878-KR LGA 1150 Intel Z87 Classified
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz
GPU:  EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB
PSU:  Viotek Standard ATX 140MM Fan 850W Modular
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 2133MHz (Serial:  CMZ16GX3M2A2133C10)
SSD:  Crucial M4 256GB SSD [Factory Recertified] - Possibly The Issue, But Would Like To Rule Out Everything
HDD: WL 3TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0GB/s 3.5" (Serial: WOL240293221)

Any suggestions to testing all of this would be very appreciated. I feel as if i can rule out the HDD, Motherboard, CPU, and GPU... The rest, unsure at this point what it could be. But being that my SSD was factory re-certified could mean something. Thanks for your time!

Run Windows Memory Diagnostic to check for memory defects or incompatibilities. You can also use MemTest86 if that is more accessible for you.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

15 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Run Windows Memory Diagnostic to check for memory defects or incompatibilities. You can also use MemTest86 if that is more accessible for you.

I ran my Win7 default diagnostic software "mdsched.exe" came back with no errors. I tried  MemTest86 before and it took forever since i have 16GB of RAM, this is my default PC basically, i dont use my laptop because its really slow, so my current question is. Can i run MemTest86 through Virtual Machine to test my RAM or should i just blow a day and let it do its thing!?!

18 minutes ago, UnboundGodz said:

I ran my Win7 default diagnostic software "mdsched.exe" came back with no errors. I tried  MemTest86 before and it took forever since i have 16GB of RAM, this is my default PC basically, i dont use my laptop because its really slow, so my current question is. Can i run MemTest86 through Virtual Machine to test my RAM or should i just blow a day and let it do its thing!?!

I don't know the definitive answer, but I would say no because you cannot allocate all of your installed memory to a virtual machine.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

10 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I don't know the definitive answer, but I would say no because you cannot allocate all of your installed memory to a virtual machine.

Alright. Ill setup MemTest shortly to run, fingers cross it doesnt take aslong as it did last time. ;3

7 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I ran MemTest86 from USB, i ran a CPU test and RAM bench i guess it was and they came back clean. This MemTest86 was different then before, the one before legit did only RAM i think, but idk what to do now.

Also just so your aware i did another test with BurnInTest and appears the RAM is fine. Any other thoughts to what i should test? 

NDDQk6q.jpg

Since you reinstalled OS 3 times, 3 different versions it's probably a hardware problem. And with everything else rulled out, SSD is the remaining culprit? The best way to diagnose would be having a 2nd pc and testing the ssd with it, if it's fine, put each part of your pc in it and see if the problem replicates. Does the freeze happen on high cpu/gpu usage? Temps are fine? 

8 minutes ago, FiveNine said:

Since you reinstalled OS 3 times, 3 different versions it's probably a hardware problem. And with everything else rulled out, SSD is the remaining culprit? The best way to diagnose would be having a 2nd pc and testing the ssd with it, if it's fine, put each part of your pc in it and see if the problem replicates. Does the freeze happen on high cpu/gpu usage? Temps are fine? 

Temps stay around 30C, Freeze ups occur at any given time, low use, high use, probably happens when its shut down to xD I dont have another rig lying around for me to do this, could it be possible to do on a laptop!?! I could remove both HDD's from my laptop and install the SSD as main. Would this bring any issues if i did this? Or is it not a good idea (I would prefer to not lose data)? Also i was wondering if its not any of the other hardware components, might it be the PSU aswell (Reason i wonder this is its not really a certified PSU, but it should have the power required to deal with my build). But neither really show any signs of error, nothing tbh does. Except that fact that this continues, ever since first build and its just becoming annoying.

I've never heard of that psu brand but i guess it should be able to power your pc normally. It would be best if you could find a secondary pc, from a friend/co-worker or someone to test out your parts individually. Could you try backing up your data, removing the SSD and run the OS from your HDD? That way you would rule out the SSD. If that doesn't work, contact support for the motherboard 

12 hours ago, FiveNine said:

I've never heard of that psu brand but i guess it should be able to power your pc normally. It would be best if you could find a secondary pc, from a friend/co-worker or someone to test out your parts individually. Could you try backing up your data, removing the SSD and run the OS from your HDD? That way you would rule out the SSD. If that doesn't work, contact support for the motherboard 

I dont have another rig to test on, would i be able to test my SSD by just installing it into my laptop and seeing if it freezes?

I don't think that would work since you couldn't use it as a boot device (the OS was installed on a different computer). You could try reinstalling the OS when you put the SSD in the laptop but you need an adapter for it (if you want to keep the original drive in your laptop) first and to check if your laptop isn't too old to support it, might also need a bios update. I don't work with laptops, so confirm my information before trying anything.

7 minutes ago, FiveNine said:

I don't think that would work since you couldn't use it as a boot device (the OS was installed on a different computer). You could try reinstalling the OS when you put the SSD in the laptop but you need an adapter for it (if you want to keep the original drive in your laptop) first and to check if your laptop isn't too old to support it, might also need a bios update. I don't work with laptops, so confirm my information before trying anything.

Yea i read that if i were to do this id have to basically reinstall OS since it was installed on a different machine with different hardware and that would result in the laptop not booting up OS. Also i just did a few tests on GPU and CPU, GPU appears fine, CPU temps kicked alot but that appears normal under excessive use. I wouldnt put the CPU to blame for the stalls and such since when my PC is on, all temps are as low as 30C, even with load they stay low. LqOM303.jpg

Is there away to alter the RAM test for MemTest86 to make it test longer, like maybe all night!?! Because if that goes through again with no error then it might be my PSU after all.

I would try removing the ssd and using your hdd as boot device. If no problems, you know what it is. If it keeps going then you can test ram

3 minutes ago, FiveNine said:

I would try removing the ssd and using your hdd as boot device. If no problems, you know what it is. If it keeps going then you can test ram

Will do, gonna do later since CPU just near hit 100C, gonna let it cool down maybe even apply new thermal paste to heatsink.

On 3/7/2017 at 3:04 AM, FiveNine said:

So, removed SSD as bootable, now HDD is bootable also changed Windows from Win7 to Win8. I kept the SSD plugged in though, but so far appears to not have frozen or stalled. But wow speed wise its slower ;< Atleast it gets a 5.9 out of 7.9 for PC Performance Rating. Also it appears my SSD might be making some wine noise of some sorts.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

- Froze once, unsure what it could be, since making my HDD my main drive it hasnt frozen all that time until just last night (Simple stall/unresponsive screen and mouse, didnt even notice it happened at first)

12 minutes ago, UnboundGodz said:

Update:

- Froze once, unsure what it could be, since making my HDD my main drive it hasnt frozen all that time until just last night (Simple stall/unresponsive screen and mouse, didnt even notice it happened at first)

That happens all the time for me because I don't have a SSD on my rig, its kinda normal.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

20 minutes ago, JDE said:

That happens all the time for me because I don't have a SSD on my rig, its kinda normal.

Worries me that this would be, all temps are fine. My laptop is slow but never froze lol. I do keep my SSD plugged, just its nolonger the main drive. Idk, if it freezes once every 2-3 weeks i guess im fine with it but its just annoying because you dont want to be doing something important and then freeze ya know.

If the SSD causes problem as a boot drive i would replace it if it's still under warranty

On 3/5/2017 at 3:04 PM, UnboundGodz said:

Long story short, my PC is custom built, and it freezes up and becomes unresponsive at times of light to heavy load. Literally will freeze up probably while typing this thread. Even when listening or watching a video it will freeze then stutter the audio. Ive reinstalled my OS 3 times, Win10, Win8, and Win7. All the same issue all installed on the same drive, so my SSD could be the issue but i want to rule out everything else first. Tried a RAM test with some software, forgot what it was but it took almost 18hrs to do, so i stopped it. Please help.

Build:
Motherboard:  EVGA 152-HW-E878-KR LGA 1150 Intel Z87 Classified
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz
GPU:  EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB
PSU:  Viotek Standard ATX 140MM Fan 850W Modular
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 2133MHz (Serial:  CMZ16GX3M2A2133C10)
SSD:  Crucial M4 256GB SSD [Factory Recertified] - Possibly The Issue, But Would Like To Rule Out Everything
HDD: WL 3TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0GB/s 3.5" (Serial: WOL240293221)

Any suggestions to testing all of this would be very appreciated. I feel as if i can rule out the HDD, Motherboard, CPU, and GPU... The rest, unsure at this point what it could be. But being that my SSD was factory re-certified could mean something. Thanks for your time!

Try to plug your pc to another power plug . Last time I also experienced this and a pc expert tell me do that, it really works

12 hours ago, AlexanderYaw123 said:

Try to plug your pc to another power plug . Last time I also experienced this and a pc expert tell me do that, it really works

Ill give that a try.