Poor Grammar Caused Amazon's Outage This Week. Sad!

Guest Kloaked
Go to solution Solved by AlexGoesHigh,
1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Oh lel, and that's why Grammar Nazis should exist in workplaces :P 

/s

If you're formatting the C drive (assuming it's the OS drive), wouldn't the OS be unable to continue formatting once past a certain point as it no longer exists? 

It would still format because all the necessary components are in RAM, it wouldn't have to load anything from the drive to run.

I am talking of course at the OS level, if it was a high level program it would trow errors. Also if it wasn't possible to format the OS, then deleting system 32 manually shouldn't also be possible but well its still a prank trow around in multiplayer games.

As someone who works with enterprise technology, including custom wrote programs, linux kernels, etc. it is VERY possible to mistype a syntax. Especially as we mature the application or the process, this also gets more complex when running servers on a node were a shutdown command affects the entire node instead of a single server.

Yes, it's entirely possible to mistype a command. having done it myself on more than I'd like to admit.  

Do you even fanboy bro?

On 3/4/2017 at 2:09 PM, SCHISCHKA said:

have you ever looked at a terminal command? it was human error. they will asses it and put in place measures so it doesn't happen again. You want to bash the employee for making a mistake that anyone could make; I would criticize Amazon for allowing one single employee the authority to take down so many web services

I guess since the guy is (or was lol) in the debug team, he had to have the authority so he could do his job. 

But then it's human error. The system can be programmed to prompt the users to answer "Y" ten times but mistakes still can happen.

I am just curious how many seconds of void the poor guy had in his head between the typo and the panic lol.

I hope that the folks in this thread that are kicking this employee while he's down have never, ever made a single mistake in their lives.  Because, as it turns out, we humans do make mistakes.  It happens.  The important thing is: how quickly can the company recover from the mistake and what lessons do they learn from it.  Firing the person isn't the right answer unless it's a pattern with him or her.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

@Kloaked as entertaining as ever. Thanks for the laugh bud.

For a second there I thought, "its to bad folks can't see the humor", then it hit me. Their inability to understand sarcasm is what makes their reactions so good. Glorious.

Keep it up. Ya know, for the greater good  B|

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

That Amazone employee must have thought he was alone in room so he could do any shit he can do without others present

and starts imaginating about Skynet. So, ye, outage!

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

On 3/3/2017 at 11:07 PM, zMeul said:

- are you sure you want to format drive c: ? [Yes/No]

- [yes]

- formatting 100%

- wait .. what?!

rm -f -a