How much to Undervolt i5 7500

So, I would like to drop the i5 7500 temps a bit and want to undervolt this a bit and see if temps will drop. Has anyone tested this and know how many volts I can safely undervolt by?

What temperature are you getting? 

Try dropping it by 0.02V at a time until 5 minutes of Prime95 causes it to crash.  After that, return it to the last stable one and drop the voltage by 0.01V.  If it works, run Prime95 for 20 minutes to double check.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Using the stock cooler, rig is idling at 40C or so and under gaming load at 60C.

Using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, CPU Stress test for 10 minutes brought Package Temp to 62C. I remember my Xeon X5460 was undervolted enough to bring temps 10C lower so I just cranked the i5 7500 undervolt by -0.080 and ran the same stress test for 10 min. Results showed package temp at 58C. Before I crank it even lower, just wondering if anyone has done this and can give a ball park. Don't want to spend too much time at 0.02V increments lol. Just want a relatively good drop, no need to get to the limit. Any safe suggestions?

4 minutes ago, mealto said:

Using the stock cooler, rig is idling at 40C or so and under gaming load at 60C.

Using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, CPU Stress test for 10 minutes brought Package Temp to 62C. I remember my Xeon X5460 was undervolted enough to bring temps 10C lower so I just cranked the i5 7500 undervolt by -0.080 and ran the same stress test for 10 min. Results showed package temp at 58C. Before I crank it even lower, just wondering if anyone has done this and can give a ball park. Don't want to spend too much time at 0.02V increments lol. Just want a relatively good drop, no need to get to the limit. Any safe suggestions?

If you're having issues with the temps, I'd recommend getting a better cooler..

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

3 minutes ago, mealto said:

those temps are well within margins to the point you shouldnt bother. they are actually surprisingly good for a stock cooler, if anythin.

@manikyath, thanks for the heads up. Good to know these temps are good. Must be the case set up and fans. For sure a better cooler will be best but knowing I can undervolt and do it safely to bring temps lower is just a cool thing to try and it's free. Pushing it to -1.05 now!

5 minutes ago, mealto said:

60C at load is amazing, especially with a stock cooler. Your idle temperature is a little high but it's not hurting anything.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, mealto said:

@manikyath, thanks for the heads up. Good to know these temps are good. Must be the case set up and fans. For sure a better cooler will be best but knowing I can undervolt and do it safely to bring temps lower is just a cool thing to try and it's free. Pushing it to -1.05 now!

seriously man, it's a stock cooler, they're quite literally made to stay below 95°c :P

My 6600 is at -158mv with the stock cooler. HUGE drop in temps under load and the fan doesn't work as hard. It's not really effort and it's cooler and quieter. It helped me especially because I sometimes have ambients of 38C :P 

That's an F in the profile pic

@JoostinOnline and @manikyath, well, dropping it by -1.05V is getting stress temp at 57C. Looking promising. I wonder if Kaby Lakes can be undervolted similar to your 6600. Anyone know?

3 minutes ago, mealto said:

@JoostinOnline and @manikyath, well, dropping it by -1.05V is getting stress temp at 57C. Looking promising. I wonder if Kaby Lakes can be undervolted similar to your 6600. Anyone know?

I'm pretty sure an undervolt of 1.05v is impossible. I have a good undervolt and it's -0.156v 

8 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

I'm pretty sure an undervolt of 1.05v is impossible. I have a good undervolt and it's -0.156v 

Typing too fast, it's supposed to be at -0.105. Getting down to -0.130 and temps have dropped quite a lot. Not sure I want to go any lower but just one simple tweak brought load temps from 60-62C (average 61C) to 52-56C (average 54C). That is an 11.5% temp drop at load! Just as nice as my Xeon X5450 undervolting. Not bad for a stock cooler?

At load and based on my custom fan curve, case fans spin at same speed as no undervolting but CPU fan speed is now below 50% even at load where as before, it was just above 50%. Much nicer!

Anyone else loving their undervolt like @Froody129?

There really isn't any point in lowering it. You aren't extending the life of it at this point. As long as it stays under 90 during stress tests you'll be okay. 

12 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

There really isn't any point in lowering it. You aren't extending the life of it at this point. As long as it stays under 90 during stress tests you'll be okay. 

Whether it extends the life of the CPU, having run at lower temps means lower fan speed and less noise. That in itself is a good point to drop temps. 

• 2 weeks later...

So since undervotling the i5 7500 by -0.130, idle temps dropped by 1-2 degrees. Most amazing this is gaming when CPU under load saw a rather significant drop in temps. Normal gaming would bring temps to 60-61C. Today, Monitored CPU and all 4 cores was being used equally in a game. When cores were between 50-60% usage, 7500 temp was at 52 C or so. When CPU usage jumps to 90%+, temps hung around 56C and peaked at 57C just one time. This is great! Anyone else undervolts to drop temps?

4 hours ago, mealto said:

So since undervotling the i5 7500 by -0.130, idle temps dropped by 1-2 degrees. Most amazing this is gaming when CPU under load saw a rather significant drop in temps. Normal gaming would bring temps to 60-61C. Today, Monitored CPU and all 4 cores was being used equally in a game. When cores were between 50-60% usage, 7500 temp was at 52 C or so. When CPU usage jumps to 90%+, temps hung around 56C and peaked at 57C just one time. This is great! Anyone else undervolts to drop temps?

Me, I have a stable -0.160mv and I'm seeing 62C under y-cruncher at a pretty high ambient 

1 minute ago, Froody129 said:

Me, I have a stable -0.160mv and I'm seeing 62C under y-cruncher at a pretty high ambient 

I love it. Its actually nice to see temps never surpassing 57C even after an extended period of gaming. In fact, during actual game play, temp was hovering around 52-53C. Pretty good for an i5 7500? And i did not even push the limit. Never bothered to push and test. 

On 3/2/2017 at 11:16 PM, Froody129 said:

My 6600 is at -158mv with the stock cooler. HUGE drop in temps under load and the fan doesn't work as hard. It's not really effort and it's cooler and quieter. It helped me especially because I sometimes have ambients of 38C :P 

Going to have similar ambients in a few months too, with my 7700k running 65C playing Witcher 3 on an h115i 60% fan at 4.7ghz/1.27v right now with 13C ambient. Not looking forward to the summer.

7 hours ago, mealto said:

Yup, undervolted my 4590 to 1.008v, it helps me keep a steady temp at fairly low RPM under my 24/7 Prime95 workload.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Sounds like I should be able to safely take undervolting to -0.145 to -0.150?

Just did some more testing and looks like system is still stable under stress using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Got it to -0.140 and temps are stress hovered between 49-53C! I would say average is 51.5C for 5 minutes of stressing. Original temps were 61C so by just dropping voltage, load temps dropped by 10C (or roughly 16%). That is pretty remarkable. This is the the i5 7500. If you do share your voltage drops and temps, please also include your CPU. I love this!

CPU: i5 7500

Undervolt: -0.140

Original load temp - undervolt load temp: 61C - 51C (16.3% drop)

On 3/14/2017 at 0:58 AM, mealto said:

Anyone else undervolts to drop temps?

I undervolted an FX-9370 to make it viable in a no-so-beefy motherboard. It defaults to 1.545, which is insane and unnecessary (I believe they just set the same for 9590 and 9370). I got it stable at 1.3875v, then added 100MHz and still stable. Can't say what the temps would be at stock voltage, since I had to stop most tests ran at that voltage to prevent overheating. I can tell the VRMs went from >100C to 75C (with undervolting+small fan on their heatsink).

12 hours ago, mealto said:

Sounds like I should be able to safely take undervolting to -0.145 to -0.150?

Undervolting is very safe, it'll just crash if it doesn't have enough voltage. If anything it'll make the lifespan of your CPU longer

49 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Undervolting is very safe, it'll just crash if it doesn't have enough voltage. If anything it'll make the lifespan of your CPU longer

I am only afraid of crashes that take Windows with it. Already got one crash after dropping it to -0.150. Leaving it at -0.140. Happy with results.