Does multitasking use multiple cores and threads?

Wondering if multitasking uses multiple cores and threads so that I could make the decision of whether to get Ryzen 7 1700x or Intel core i7 7700k.

2 minutes ago, BinaryWiz said:

Wondering if multitasking uses multiple cores and threads

yep. Most definitely

depends though, benchmarks show that the 1700x/1800x do better than the 7700k and sometimes the 6800k and 6900k in multi threaded apps like video editing and streaming - for gaming, higher clock speeds are better - 

if you will be doing lots of rendering or any type of artistic thing (music, videos, streaming) then go for ryzen, for gaming and production the 6800k is probably a safer bet

1 minute ago, BinaryWiz said:

What about heavy programming?

well define heavy, i do a lot of database stuff (sql, php, my sql, sql lite,) lots of vms and some angular js and other stuff for web apps and etc - i have a 6800k and i can use up to 100 percent of it while using 3 vms, and running a whole bunch of queries, so i would say that the 1800x is a safe bet - the 1700x should work roughly the same - so i would go for more cores and threads if you are dealing with hardcore languages, especially db

By heavy I mean like 10 tabs open in chrome, my text editor, maybe a reference pdf book, and multiple other programs running