Desktop or laptop?

So I'm currently a student in 7th grade and I am considering buying a new PC soon which will hopefully be my first "gaming" pc which will actually have non-integrated graphics and be able to run Minecraft over 30 fps. 

But I face a problem. Desktop or laptop? Now I know all of you will probably say get a desktop you get the best "bang for your buck", you can upgrade, you can customize your peripherals and it's just better in general. And as much as I really want to get a desktop I face a problem. Portability.

I usually travel by plane to other places and stay there for a pretty long time. It's not a "vacation" since it's not like 1-2 weeks long but  I stay a few months there and if I get a desktop I'll probably not be able to take it there making it unusable for the few months of vacation which I am there and the only thing I'll be able to use is an old laptop which really can't run much.

I know laptops really are shining these days with their pascal "full desktop grade" graphics cards. But first, they are 10% slower than their desktop counterparts which makes a big difference. Second, peripherals. I'd like to be able to customize peripherals for example if the laptop comes with a 1080p60hz monitor I'd like to change it to like 1080p120hz monitor in the future but with a laptop that's hard without sacrificing the portability of the laptop.

Keep in mind this will be for the next 3 years which is why this is a really stressful choice to make and that's why I'm here to see people's opinions to get to a final answer.

Also, laptops with the desired graphics card (GTX 1060) will cost around 1300$ but if I would get  a desktop it'd cost around 800$-1100$ including peripherals and I'd get a better performing, cpu, ram, graphics card by 10% and just overall experience.

So yeah, any opinions on what I should get?

Laptop bro, if you travel that much for that long. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

A small mini ITX travalable desktop

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

yea but that doesnt include a monitor keyboard and mouse. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Just now, Mohenjo said:

yea but that doesnt include a monitor keyboard and mouse. 

Plus a TKL kb and some ghetto mounted monitor to the case

First, could a msi gtx 1060 fit into that.

Second, the customs in the airport really aren't that knowledgeable and the amount of security checks is really high so if they take the mini ITX desktop there's a 90% chance I probably won't get it back.

Third, wouldn't it be damaged even if I got it through the customs if I put it with the cargo won't there be a high chance for it to get damaged?

Plus a TKL kb and some ghetto mounted monitor to the case

at that point wouldn't a laptop make more sense? Yea its not up gradable but still. He could get a beefy desktop 3 or 4 years in the future.

Just now, Mohenjo said:

at that point wouldn't a laptop make more sense? Yea its not up gradable but still. He could get a beefy desktop 3 or 4 years in the future.

But will a laptop graphics card (Gtx 1060) hold up with the newest titles for 3-4 years?

Just now, DarthVader61425 said:

But will a laptop graphics card (Gtx 1060) hold up with the newest titles for 3-4 years?

i imagine it will play them just fine at 1080p. 

Just now, Mohenjo said:

i imagine it will play them just fine at 1080p. 

Maxed out? And thanks for your help.

Maxed out? And thanks for your help.

i honestly have no idea, i cant see into the future lol. for all we know some new magical tech can come out that makes both desktops and laptops useless. 

Since you're traveling a lot, it's better to get a laptop. Plus budget gaming laptops (like Dell's Inspiron 15 7000) are getting a little hard to beat to get a matching desktop.

3 minutes ago, DarthVader61425 said:

If you set your expectations too high, it won't last two years. Even for the desktop version.

7 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I can't take the desktop out at an airport/airplane and start using it.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Since you're traveling a lot, it's better to get a laptop. Plus budget gaming laptops (like Dell's Inspiron 15 7000) are getting a little hard to beat to get a matching desktop.

If you set your expectations too high, it won't last two years.

I can't take the desktop out at an airport/airplane and start using it.

So let's just say I can max out games for the next 1-2 years it'll at least be able to handle high or at worse case medium at 1080p right?

Also, what should I do if one of the keyboard keys broke? They're bound to break after a few years and I really don't fancy getting a keyboard and having the laptop a mile away just to be able to use a working keyboard?

So let's just say I can max out games for the next 1-2 years it'll at least be able to handle high or at worse case medium at 1080p right?

If you were aiming for 60FPS across the board, then the GTX 1060, even the desktop version, won't manage that. Otherwise yes.

Also, what should I do if one of the keyboard keys broke? They're bound to break after a few years and I really don't fancy getting a keyboard and having the laptop a mile away just to be able to use a working keyboard?

If you break your keys after a few years, I think you're doing something wrong. I've never had a laptop key break on me, key cap or otherwise.

Just now, Mohenjo said:

i honestly have no idea, i cant see into the future lol. for all we know some new magical tech can come out that makes both desktops and laptops useless. 

Is there a chance I could buy like a gtx 1050ti laptop like those Dell Inspiron laptops everyone is talking about and if I end up staying in one place in the future sell it then buy even an entry gaming desktop and start upgrading it? Or even sell the laptop and buy a new better one if I'm still moving around a lot?

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

If you were aiming for 60FPS across the board, then the GTX 1060, even the desktop version, won't manage that. Otherwise yes.

If you break your keys after a few years, I think you're doing something wrong. I've never had a laptop key break on me, key cap or otherwise.

So 60 fps won't be possible on maxed out with the Gtx 1060 even with an overclock?

If airport security lets you take a PC on board, I would just get a mini itx PC. You can carry it around with your peripherals and just use whatever monitor/TV you have where ever you stay.

Runescape player  II  Civ 6 and LoL noob  II  

On 3/2/2017 at 0:01 PM, DarthVader61425 said:

Is there a chance I could buy like a gtx 1050ti laptop like those Dell Inspiron laptops everyone is talking about and if I end up staying in one place in the future sell it then buy even an entry gaming desktop and start upgrading it? Or even sell the laptop and buy a new better one if I'm still moving around a lot?

If you do end up choosing a laptop, know I generally don't recommend the Inspiron 7567 due to the significant screen quality issues (noticeably poor contrast and viewing angles). I would recommend the Eluktronics/Clevo N850HK1 for $899.