Spotify Is Launching A "Hi-Fi" Option

Guest Kloaked
Go to solution Solved by RGProductions,
18 hours ago, ApolloFury said:

That video has been in my liked videos since it came out LOL.

6 minutes ago, ApolloFury said:

a good starting point for people who came from budget consumer cans

me in a nutshell

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

who uses tidal? xD 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Have Spotify finally allowed choosing of the output device on windows yet, without having to constantly flipflop your default audio output through windows?

15 minutes ago, crowy said:

Have Spotify finally allowed choosing of the output device on windows yet, without having to constantly flipflop your default audio output through windows?

Nevermind a quick google finds that it hasn't been fixed. https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Allow-user-to-select-default-sound-device/idc-p/1596370#M106352

2 hours ago, shadowbyte said:

you can select high quality as a premium user, but I've not idea how much of a difference it actually makes

High quality on Spotify is still Ogg @ 320kbps which is decent actually considering it's streaming and people generally have crap headphones

...on mobile it's 160kbps

256kbps and higher is the point where compression artifacts in the high frequencies start to dissappear. Stereo field and punch is still much worse than CD-Quality. To me it makes a big difference but I only have premium headphones and speakers.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, crowy said:

there's another way you can change output device, but requires separate software 

oh god finally, but I wonder how good the masters are.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

nice, still buying CDs and ripping them myself though 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 hours ago, shadowbyte said:

you can select high quality as a premium user, but I've not idea how much of a difference it actually makes

Quite a bit, I think. Listening to Spotify in the webclient over a mediocre connection where it is automatically set to lower quality, it sounds like absolute arse.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

I personally always buy files I can download, instead of using streaming services. Partly mobile data restrictions and partly reliable high-quality. Even regular 320Kbps MP3 files from bandcamp are a step up, I think.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

8 hours ago, ApolloFury said:

Not ripping on you, but just know in the audio enthusiast world the M50X is the most overrated headphone that isn't Beats.

It is a step up from Beats and it is a good starting point for people who came from budget consumer cans but it has that stigma of "atleast it is a M50X and not beats", which is not exactly a confident endorsement. It gets good reviews from many people probably because they are only comparing it to cheap headpones they previously own or Beats. 

8 hours ago, ApolloFury said:

A lot of better alternatives for the same price or under $100. Even my lecturer for music production didn't recommend these but recommends the Senheisser HD280 which I hate lol. 

Zreviews is flaky, but I do agree that the M50 models are not worth the money unless you can get them sub $100. 

I would agree with your lecturer. The HD280 is my go to studio headphone still, even after owning an M50. Well, my dog chewed up my 280 cable so I gotta fix that but yeah.

I don't think this is worth the cost since I personally can't tell the difference, and judging by the test I did before neither can most people.

Lossless is great for editing and archival purposes, but Spotify doesn't allow for either so who cares? Seems like it's 5 dollars down the drain ever month.

I've been thinking of redoing the audio codec comparison thread I made a few years ago. Maybe it's about time now that more and more people are talking about audio quality.

10 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

IMO Lossless should be included with Spotify premium anyway. (but obviously it should be opt-in)

I'm not paying $20 for lossless audio just like Tidal 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I run all my audio files on 320kbps. I dont see the point of lossless unless for conversion sake. Even when i'm running CIEM and HE400i

18 hours ago, ApolloFury said:

That video has been in my liked videos since it came out LOL.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro