Cpu cooler smells like fire

unseenblade
Go to solution Solved by unseenblade,

okay guys my ram was loose and also some other wire. it stopped the burning smell.

i just want to ask if its possible that loose ram / wire can cause burning? my issue is fixed

I reset my BIOS using the CMOS jumper and after I did that my monitor would not display anything so I reset the bios again and then my CPU Cooler start to smell like fire everytime I turn it on my computer is a little bit over 1 month old and never had any issues like this I'm too scared to turn my computer on do to it probably catching on fire

disassemble, inspect. REMOVE POWER.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

4 minutes ago, unseenblade said:

-

I would turn it off and inspect the surrounding area...

The real question here is what does fire smell like...?

I think you mean smoke...
Make sure there aren't any screws or anything shorting connections on the motherboard, and make sure everything is plugged in securely.

Try cleaning the cooler and surrounding areas off with some canned air.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

There's nothing ther I checked everything everything looks clean there's no dust in certain areas this happen after I reset my BIOS twice my Ram starts a smell like burn and my CPU Cooler smells like burn

Just now, unseenblade said:

There's nothing ther I checked everything everything looks clean there's no dust in certain areas this happen after I reset my BIOS twice my Ram starts a smell like burn and my CPU Cooler smells like burn

Mind taking a picture or two (of the motherboard, cpu cooler, and ram) and sending it so we can see?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I reset my BIOS using the CMOS jumper and after I did that my monitor would not display anything so I reset the bios again and then my CPU Cooler start to smell like fire everytime I turn it on my computer is a little bit over 1 month old and never had any issues like this I'm too scared to turn my computer on do to it probably catching on fire

12 minutes ago, unseenblade said:

please tell me you took the plastic off the cooler? some people only notice it after a while but it will go horribly wrong!

You have a lot more issues than just uploading pictures.

Maybe start by giving your parts list otherwise nobody can help.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Mark17 said:

please tell me you took the plastic off the cooler? some people only notice it after a while but it will go horribly wrong!

yea I took it off a while back

4 minutes ago, unseenblade said:

I have issues uploading pictures

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You have a lot more issues than just uploading pictures.

Maybe start by giving your parts list otherwise nobody can help.

I'm more curious of how you take pictures of smell....... 

1 minute ago, unseenblade said:

yea I took it off a while back

it can not be your cooler that smells please take out your cpu and check if there is nothing near the pins around them take a close look the whole area.

Just now, SenorDonut said:

Inspect every inch of the machine. Are you able to take pics?

I can show you on Skype or something

G

tx 1070 pny xlr8

I7 6700k

Ddr4 gskill 16gb ram

Asroxk z170 pro 4s

H5 universal CPU cooler 

Nzxt case

256gb ssd

1tb ssd

500watt evga 

Did you check CPU temps when it was on? or touch the CPU cooler after turning it off to see if it was warm to the touch? 

Edited by NotTayyeb
Quoted something, no clue why.

Can you take the cooler off and make sure that's what smells?

27 minutes ago, SenorDonut said:

Is it possible for loose ram or wires to cause this smel?

okay guys my ram was loose and also some other wire. it stopped the burning smell.

i just want to ask if its possible that loose ram / wire can cause burning? my issue is fixed

Yes, that's possible. Glad you fixed it, I wouldn't have thought of that!

UPDATE: i just noticed i have 8gb out of 16gb ram. i believe my ram died or the slot. what should i do? change slots?