Blue LED DIMMABLE Strips

Go to solution Solved by TVwazhere,
On 4/8/2017 at 2:29 PM, lolimpol said:

yeah, that would work, split the dc jack end, get out a multimeter, check ground and +12v 12v to red, ground to black

for the led strip you could just get the two wires and solder it to the blue and +12v pad, cable or no cable it's the same thing

So I bought all that stuff and while checking out I saw what I think I was really looking for, a barrel to 4 pin connector  which sadly only came in pairs so I probably spent too much on it, but I bought this and the Single Light kit @lolimpol originally suggested....

It worked! I got everything in today. I didnt even try previously mentioned idea of using the 4 pin to bare wires and hooking them up to barrel adaptors, just went straight for the last minute find. 

The controller designed for a single LED strip works, all I needed was that barrel to 4 pin adaptor and I had a working DIMMABLE led strip (plus the controller comes with some effects) but for the most part I got what I needed. And it costs less than $10 for all the adapters I needed

To reiterate:

From psu->

Molex to DC barrel -> 

Barrel SINGLE LED dimmer controller ->

Barrel to 4 Pin adaptor ->

Into @CableMod LED strips/ 4 pin single color strip

I'm very happy this all worked out. Now my friend will be able to dim or turn off the lights remotely with the flick of a switch!!! Thank you guys very much for helping me out with this project. I will post photos when everything is done.

*Edit* This project is for a friend who lives far away

I've seen a few like the NZXT 2m sleeved led cable but the LED spacing is very large and doesnt look as good as a strip. Sadly I'm not using an Asus motherboard or any motherboard with an RGB header either. I dont care about how it's powered or how it's dimmed, it just need to be dimmed as this PC is going into a bed room. I saw one from Darkside strips but they're not linkable and theyre not very used. I'm considering using an RGB strip as a VERY LAST RESORT but I want to ponder my other options (build is a blue theme after all) Price is not an obstical.

SOLVED SOLUTION:

Molex to DC barrel -> 

Barrel SINGLE LED dimmer controller ->

Barrel to 4 Pin adaptor ->

Into Cablemod LED strips/ 4 pin single color strip

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

This is the same one as he said he had discounted, however I'd like to mention that I have the equivalent of this strip in white, if you were worried about the light being too patchy, look at mine and see if you think it's too patchy or not (this is on full brightness, btw). I think it's fine but each to his own:

Spoiler

Sorry about the reflections, just snapped this quickly and I'm too lazy to take another

663a012c16.jpg

CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 @4.4GHz Motherboard: Intel DX79TO | Graphics Card: XFX RX 480 RS RAM:  16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR3 @ 1600MHz Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: 1x Kingston UV400 120GB | 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 1x WD Green 1TB | PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W | Case: NZXT S340 White | Cooling: NZXT Kraken x31

18 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I've seen a few like the NZXT 2m sleeved led cable but the LED spacing is very large and doesnt look as good as a strip. Sadly I'm not using an Asus motherboard or any motherboard with an RGB header either. I dont care about how it's powered or how it's dimmed, it just need to be dimmed as this PC is going into a bed room. I saw one from Darkside strips but they're not linkable and theyre not very used. I'm considering using an RGB strip as a VERY LAST RESORT but I want to ponder my other options (build is a blue theme after all) Price is not an obstical.

soldering? 
https://www.nzxt.com/product-overview/hue-plus-features
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-RF-Wireless-Remote-Led-Dimmer-Controller-For-Single-Color-Led-Strip-Light-SMD5630-SMD5050-SMD3528/32658761275.html

something like that would work even though the controller says white.

Why the aversion to an RGB strip? It's probably cheaper to go the full RGB route than to find a rarer single-color controller, especially since single color strips are usually unterminated, so you'd have to crimp connectors yourself.

You can use an adapter like this to power the LED's from your PSU, then plug a normal remote-controlled RGB strip in.

51 minutes ago, Oscargot said:

This is the same one as he said he had discounted, however I'd like to mention that I have the equivalent of this strip in white, if you were worried about the light being too patchy, look at mine and see if you think it's too patchy or not (this is on full brightness, btw). I think it's fine but each to his own:

I mean it definitely works, but the lighting doesnt feel even to me and feels patchy. Plus this build isnt for me, and I've always been taught when you do a job for someone else you make it sure its to the absolute best of your ability. Thought like you said, everyone has their own personal tastes, but my person in mind is very aesthetic driven who also suffers from a bit of OCD. Do you have any issues with the controller being too close to your Mobo btw? I've seen alot of posts about that.

43 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

I'd rather a full kit that didn't need to be created together (Ironically this is all going in a s340 elite case) so I might go with the Hue +, though it seems overkill. Also I'm not the absolute best with soldering. Plus I should mention this is for a friend very far away so if something happens I wont be able to fix it... Id rather use that as my very last resort (the last resort after an expensive rgb system :P)

33 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

Why the aversion to an RGB strip? It's probably cheaper to go the full RGB route than to find a rarer single-color controller, especially since single color strips are usually unterminated, so you'd have to crimp connectors yourself.

You can use an adapter like this to power the LED's from your PSU, then plug a normal remote-controlled RGB strip in.

Just because I figured it would be more expensive that way. Figured I didnt need to pay for functionality I'd never use.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, lolimpol said:

Wait, how does the remote work? I see it would work with the adapter mentioned just after this comment but it doesnt split into the normal four pin LED strip connector I'm seeing on many other solutions, unless this would go into a DIY board

5 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Wait, how does the remote work? I see it would work with the adapter mentioned just after this comment but it doesnt split into the normal four pin LED strip connector I'm seeing on many other solutions, unless this would go into a DIY board

The problem is that single color strips are usually unterminated; to use that controller, you'd need to crimp your own barrel receptacle to the ends (or find a terminated strip, though I don't know where to get one of those cheaply). RGB strips use a standard 4 pin connector (even some aftermarket standards like NZXT Hue use the same pinout), so you can get a controller like this and plug a strip in.

2 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

get a controller like this 

Now I'm really liking this! 

So this (sata to barrel)

To this (though it says RGB on it but it doesnt have color changing options? AS long as it works for jsut one color thats what I care about)

And then my choice of 4 pin strip (kinda leaning towards cablemod, maybe 2 60cm to go the full length around the edge of the s340)

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

So this (sata to barrel)

To this (though it says RGB on it but it doesnt have color changing options? AS long as it works for jsut one color thats what I care about)

And then my choice of 4 pin strip (kinda leaning towards cablemod, maybe 2 60cm to go the full length around the edge of the s340)

There's a +-color button that lets you cycle through predetermined colors, and I'd be very surprised if blue wasn't one of those. There are also things like bluetooth and wifi controllers if you want more control over color and brightness. IR controls are cheap and plentiful as well, though I'm not sure I'd recommend them in a case where line of sight might not be there.

46 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

RF, no IR. power goes in, pixies come out. that's all.

19 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

So this (sata to barrel)

use this instead for blue strips:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-RF-Wireless-Remote-Led-Dimmer-Controller-For-Single-Color-Led-Strip-Light-SMD5630-SMD5050-SMD3528/32658761275.html

2 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

Im gonna need one of these black converter cables correct? Where would I get that?

Capture.PNG

7 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

Hmm, is there a 4 pin option? or is that only available for the RGB version? What blue strips would work (and be good quality)

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Hmm, is there a 4 pin option? or is that only available for the RGB version? What blue strips would work (and be good quality)

for one color you only need two pins, all 4 pin controller have the right connectors already. all 5050 smd blue strips will pretty much work(12V though)

4 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

for one color you only need two pins, all 4 pin controller have the right connectors already. all 5050 smd blue strips will pretty much work(12V though)

Well the four pin controllers would work with most PC specific strips correct? Like Cablemod

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Do you have any issues with the controller being too close to your Mobo btw? I've seen alot of posts about that.

Can't say I do, I have it installed along a conventional PCI slot and it lines up to where a card would be along the slot so I don't see any issue with it.

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Thought like you said, everyone has their own personal tastes, but my person in mind is very aesthetic driven who also suffers from a bit of OCD

Aye.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 @4.4GHz Motherboard: Intel DX79TO | Graphics Card: XFX RX 480 RS RAM:  16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR3 @ 1600MHz Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: 1x Kingston UV400 120GB | 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 1x WD Green 1TB | PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W | Case: NZXT S340 White | Cooling: NZXT Kraken x31

36 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Well the four pin controllers would work with most PC specific strips correct? Like Cablemod

yippiaye.

22 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

yippiaye.

Then in that case I should use one of the RGB varieties even though I'm not using the other colors?

Then in that case I should use one of the RGB varieties even though I'm not using the other colors?

nah get a blue strip, much cheaper

Just now, lolimpol said:

nah get a blue strip, much cheaper

I mean use the 4 pin RGB controller with a blue PC specific strip, instead of the single color controller that converts to two pin for generic LED strips

I mean use the 4 pin RGB controller with a blue PC specific strip, instead of the single color controller that converts to two pin for generic LED strips

but then the colour buttons wouldn't do anything that wouldn't look good.

12 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

but then the colour buttons wouldn't do anything that wouldn't look good.

The color buttons dont have to do anything as long as the blue color works. And these pieces look just like what cablemod provides in their kit which is good.

AA6P_131294355368415023XkOjtXFpaN.jpg?w=660&h=500

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2017 at 4:41 PM, lolimpol said:

So, I'm back.

I bought the one you told me not to buy. It functioned, as in it powered the LED's and nothing else sadly. No dim, no fade, couldnt even turn off the lights. Bummer, but not a big deal it was only $2

I do have the molex to barrel adapter though. And I've seen a version of the controller that just has wires , which Im thinking with an adapter I could get the power, and then try using this 4 pin to singles that I just found tonight and play around with this and see if it works, since i only need 2 out of 4 wires. Maybe I'll have more luck with the Cable mod wires. What do you think? Is this a sound idea, or "if it didnt work with the 4 pin RGB header it probably wont work"?