Stuttering and low framerate GTA5

FrigidNinja
Go to solution Solved by FrigidNinja,

I took the clock speed from 3.5 to 4Ghz, and adjusted my fan curve so it ran cooler overall. The game ran perfectly with no stuttering.

Thanks for pointing out it was a CPU issue rather than a GPU issue guys.

My System:

Gtx 980ti

i5 6600k

16gb DDR4 Ram

all at stock clock speeds

im using a 2560x1080 ultra-wide monitor, but for the sake of experimentation, i took the resolution down to 1280x800 and the problem persisted (it may have worsened)

im using the minimum settings.

what the hell am i doing wrong?!?

GTA update has fucked the performance. I see that with my 1070 and latest patch but I don't have old patch to verify this

idk

Well, my 970 does perfectly fine on rather high settings and double the resolution, so it's definitely not a power problem. 

I'd say reinstall your GPU drivers. Maybe even clean them of with DDU. 

Also check ingame how your CPU and gpu are boosting/temps/usage

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Is VSync on? When i had my R9 390x Vsync made the game stutter like crazy

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

I'm actually here to ask, is GTA5 still worth it to buy. Want to play online with friends but everyone who hasn't played it don't want to buy it because of the generic "game's gonna be boring, you're just gonna do the same thing over and over again"

What is the CPU and GPU usage like? I just started playing back the games yesterday and stuttering only happen when i'm driving fast.. like very fast. 
Try verify the game files and make sure your CPU and GPU is not throttling. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Any OC?

Update your gpu drivers?

Ensured that your monitor's cable is connected to your gpu port and not your mobo's igpu port?

Does this happen with other games?

Also gta v can become unoptimized at times too but of course ensure the things above first

6 hours ago, phongle123 said:

I'm actually here to ask, is GTA5 still worth it to buy. Want to play online with friends but everyone who hasn't played it don't want to buy it because of the generic "game's gonna be boring, you're just gonna do the same thing over and over again"

I have a solution for you m8:

XL7cCAJ.png

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

19 hours ago, phongle123 said:

Im having fun on my first play through, despite the issues. Get it on sale, play it once, and dump it like a side chick IMO.

21 hours ago, FrigidNinja said:

My System:

Gtx 980ti

i5 6600k

16gb DDR4 Ram

all at stock clock speeds

im using a 2560x1080 ultra-wide monitor, but for the sake of experimentation, i took the resolution down to 1280x800 and the problem persisted (it may have worsened)

im using the minimum settings.

what the hell am i doing wrong?!?

20 hours ago, Droidbot said:

GTA update has fucked the performance. I see that with my 1070 and latest patch but I don't have old patch to verify this

i5's

20 hours ago, FloRolf said:

Well, my 970 does perfectly fine on rather high settings and double the resolution, so it's definitely not a power problem. 

I'd say reinstall your GPU drivers. Maybe even clean them of with DDU. 

Also check ingame how your CPU and gpu are boosting/temps/usage

i7

really they make a lot of difference in some games, FPS doesn't really change, it's frame times aka stutter which most "reviews" don't cover, they just show max and average FPS

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 hour ago, stealth80 said:

i5's

i7

really they make a lot of difference in some games, FPS doesn't really change, it's frame times aka stutter which most "reviews" don't cover, they just show max and average FPS

so it is an issue with my setup?

went through a couple hours of playing, with MSI afterburner running. temps never went above 70'C and the boost clock never went down

3 hours ago, FrigidNinja said:

so it is an issue with my setup?

went through a couple hours of playing, with MSI afterburner running. temps never went above 70'C and the boost clock never went down

Your gpu isn't the issue it's a great card. Try running it with a usage utility open like Aida 64 or something and see how cpu usage is whilst playing, could be the update, but I know GTA v is one of the few games at the moment that likes i7s and cores along with rise of the tomb raider and battlefield one

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

is there any way to tell the game to decrease the quality in order to tax the cpu less?

I took the clock speed from 3.5 to 4Ghz, and adjusted my fan curve so it ran cooler overall. The game ran perfectly with no stuttering.

Thanks for pointing out it was a CPU issue rather than a GPU issue guys.