AMD Ryzen for VR?

I am in a class at school the deals with a wide range of technology subjects and we recently received a grant to purchase a grant to purchase an HTC Vive and build a custom PC. This PC will be used to run a few VR apps that are educational and can be used in the classroom so no games and all of this will be on the HTC Vive. Some members of the class and I made a list a few months back listing all the computer parts that we would purchase but since Ryzen and Kabylake just came out, it was outdated. As we updated the list I suggested one of the new Ryzen processors instead of going with a 7700k since I know the performance of the new Ryzen processors was quite adequate compared to some Intel CPUs (Note that we do have a limited amount of money so keeping the cost down with performance is key). When I suggested this I was quickly turned down because of a various number of reasons some I didn't fully understand and didn't want to debate to sound stupid. Some of the reasons include: the school would image the computer and it apparently would not work with the AMD CPU since all other CPUs in the school are Intel, Intel processors had more IPCs which is apparently key when it comes to VR games, all games were designed for Intel processors so they could be glitchy and crash on AMD,  and also there is a stigma among the members of the class members when it came to AMD because their friends had AMD rigs and they were very unreliable. I assume that the one member of my classroom that was heavily arguing me on this had yet to look at the specs of the new Ryzen processors and was just set in his ways. I do not have a preference for either or mind being wrong on this issue but I want to pick the best CPU that will preform best and last for a long time for the purpose we need it for and I don't have the technical knowledge to really prove anything sadly. So are these reasons valid and Intel's 7700K is a better choice and should we stick to that processor or is there a better option? Thanks for enlightening me with your knowledgeable responses :)

Also, it might be helpful to say that we are using an 1070 for our GPU. 

if you do go intel right now, the 6700k has a lot of sales right now and so does the 7700k

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

amd ryzen will help with vr, lots of vr games will need high fps so multicore cpu. WAIT FOR THE BENCHMARKS

So you think Ryzen would be a better option for a strictly VR PC?

Just now, friendlykemper said:

So you think this would be a better option for a strictly VR PC?

yup if you want to futureproof it. 

an i7 would be best if you are trying to play vr because it has higher ipc and can help pump out the 90 fps required for vr. 

Frankly I don't think you'll see much of a difference between them, since VR is still mostly GPU limited with all the physics calculations etc. If you had to buy today I would go for an i7 or even an i5, just because we don't know how well the new AMD chips will perform in these scenarios, they could indeed have some serious bugs to deal with. An i5 is probably enough, especially in a classroom environment, but an i7 would be adequate futureproofing. 

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

an i7 would be best if you are trying to play vr because it has higher ipc and can help pump out the 90 fps required for vr. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

yup if you want to futureproof it. 

Confusing me right here. From my quick internet search, IPC just appears to be some sort of behind the scene process and in that case, wouldn't more cores mean a better IPC?

Confusing me right here. From my quick internet search, IPC just appears to be some sort of behind the scene process and in that case, wouldn't more cores mean a better IPC?

instruction per clock, ryzen will have good ipc. just wait for the benchmarks.

3 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

Frankly I don't think you'll see much of a difference between them, since VR is still mostly GPU limited with all the physics calculations etc. If you had to buy today I would go for an i7 or even an i5, just because we don't know how well the new AMD chips will perform in these scenarios, they could indeed have some serious bugs to deal with. An i5 is probably enough, especially in a classroom environment, but an i7 would be adequate futureproofing. 

...no i5 will bottleneck a 1070 in high fps gaming. 

1 minute ago, friendlykemper said:

so you want to have high single core performance for gaming because it results in higher fps. now you need 90 fps to make sure that you dont get motion sickness in vr. so the ideal cpu for vr is an intel cpu as they have the better single core performance and ensure good frame-rates. its the same reason why if you look at benchmarks the 7700k has much higher fps in games when compared to a 6900k. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

instruction per clock, ryzen will have good ipc. just wait for the benchmarks.

Ok thanks, what an educational experience. My guess is that we will probably go with the i7 now and then I can say I told you so if Ryzen Hype turns out to  be true.

1 minute ago, friendlykemper said:

Ok thanks, what an educational experience. My guess is that we will probably go with the i7 now and then I can say I told you so if Ryzen Hype turns out to  be true.

the ryzen cpu will be great but just not for the specific use case you are talking about. 

what, that sentence made no sense. 

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

No new i5 will be a bottleneck no. An i5 660 would bottleneck a 1070, but given they're talking about new hardware it can be assumed that whatever i5 they picked would probably be perfectly fine. 

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

Just now, tim0901 said:

No new i5 will be a bottleneck no. An i5 660 would bottleneck a 1070, but given they're talking about new hardware it can be assumed that whatever i5 they picked would probably be perfectly fine. 

yup a new i5 will, an i5 will be severely underpowered in a high fps gaming scenario with lots of effect. 

4 hours ago, friendlykemper said:

all games were designed for Intel processors so they could be glitchy and crash on AMD

That is complete bull, game devs don't get to click a "this was made for Intel(or AMD)" button that magically makes game glitch out on any other CPU. If reliability is the concern your classmates should be quoting different concerns.

4 hours ago, friendlykemper said:

the school would image the computer and it apparently would not work with the AMD CPU since all other CPUs in the school are Intel

If you mean the school will be advertising the build to the public, tell them not to as that would be wrongful use of Intel's (or other manufacturer's) image (use of patented and copyrighted material without consent). While I highly doubt Intel (or others) would take legal action, it is a possibility as depending on the use, it could cause harm to their image. If your school uses the Intel or any other logo for advertisement, it would be considered intellectual theft under US copyright laws (as Intel is based in the US) and would provide grounds for a lawsuit.

Also what is the current build, some of us may be able to help when it comes to planning. :)