i3-6100 vs i5-6400 at gaming... which is more worth to get?

2 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

since the i5 costs around 50-70$ more and has lower clock speeds, at gaming, their frames are almost the same...

You can get a brand new i5 7400 for $168.

since the i5 costs around 50-70$ more and has lower clock speeds, at gaming, their frames are almost the same...

And no, their frame rates are not almost the same in most games.

17 minutes ago, samocamo123 said:

Wait for Ryzen, once R5 and R3 launch you might have a much better cpu for your money.

It's not called R5 or R3 It's called 5 or 3.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Dawson Wehage said:

It's not called R5 or R3 It's called 5 or 3.

Well if your going to be that specific, it's not called 5 or 3 it is called Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 3.

Any particular reason to go with skylake when we have Kaby Lake and Ryzen on the picture already, since all newer games will use the 4 cores the i5 will be better than the i three but the best budget CPU from intel is the G4560

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, TomR said:

And no, their frame rates are not almost the same in most games.

looked some testing on games such as bf1 and witcher 3, the 6400 beats 6100 for 5-10 fps...

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

looked some testing on games such as bf1 and witcher 3, the 6400 beats 6100 for 5-10 fps...

With what GPU? 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

32 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

1060 6gb

That's why, the GPU is probably the bottleneck. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

39 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

Was that the average fps or the minimum fps? The minimums are where the i3 will kill you...

1 hour ago, Blackhole890 said:

There are many other factors that creates lag other than FPS :P

I had 80 fps all the time in BF1 with my i5, and I was getting lag big time, cpu reachin 100% usage create a lot of stuttering and this is as bad as having 15 fps...

Anyway, buying now is a mistake. Wait only 2 weeks to see REAL Ryzen performance, and then price adjustement, new anouncement from Intel , etc...

Should wait 1 month before building a new PC IMO or you are going to either waste money or regret it in the very near futur like 3 months :P

13 hours ago, smokefest said:

Anyway, buying now is a mistake. Wait only 2 weeks to see REAL Ryzen performance, and then price adjustement, new anouncement from Intel , etc...

Should wait 1 month before building a new PC IMO or you are going to either waste money or regret it in the very near futur like 3 months :P

im not getting a new rig, just wondering which one of those is more powerful at gaming :P 

13 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Was that the average fps or the minimum fps? The minimums are where the i3 will kill you...

almost the same, the minimums were around 3-4 fps difference

13 hours ago, Megah3rtz said:

That's why, the GPU is probably the bottleneck. 

ikr, but since 6400 clocks are too slow and i3 ones are pretty fast, i dont think that 6400 is worth getting unless you're spending a bit more for 6500 or 6600k, no?

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

im not getting a new rig, just wondering which one of those is more powerful at gaming :P 

almost the same, the minimums were around 3-4 fps difference

ikr, but since 6400 clocks are too slow and i3 ones are pretty fast, i dont think that 6400 is worth getting unless you're spending a bit more for 6500 or 6600k, no?

not correct. the 6400 is still worth over the i3....

Check per example GTA V benchmark.. you will get 25% more FPS in average just by having 4 real cores instead of 2 cores 4 threads...

Threads does not = cores...

the i5 wins in every sapects, some not heavy cpu games will run just as good on the i3 but some heavy cpu games will get lot less fps with the i3

Of course I would agree with you, better get the 6600k and overclock the shit out of it for the price difference xD but that means you need a more costy MOBO, so in the end, its all about money...

No money ? get a 6400 and cheap mobo,

got money ? go for the goddamn i7 7700k,

Got brain ? Wait to see Ryzen real life results and intel price adjustment / annoucements

3 minutes ago, smokefest said:

not correct. the 6400 is still worth over the i3....

Check per example GTA V benchmark.. you will get 25% more FPS in average just by having 4 real cores instead of 2 cores 4 threads...

Threads does not = cores...

the i5 wins in every sapects, some not heavy cpu games will run just as good on the i3 but some heavy cpu games will get lot less fps with the i3

amm, no...?

42 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

-snip-

You do realize that all you've "proved" in that video is that both CPUs are bottlenecked by the 380x right?

I couldn't find any i3-6100/i5-6400 comparisons with a better GPU but I did find one with an i3-6300/i5-6600 comparison which is still valid as they're currently $70 apart from each other in price as in your i3-6100/i5-6400 comparison. These results are with a GTX 970 which is what most would consider a mid-range GPU.

Notice how the GPU Usage overlay on the i5 side is mostly pegged between 97-99% whereas the GPU usage on the i3-6300 drops into the 80s numerous times? This is because the i3 is bottlenecking the 970 and can't feed it information quickly enough to keep it at constant load.

Moral of the story is if you're going to compare two CPUs with a lower powered GPU then your results for both will be nearly equal as the GPU can't keep up with the CPUs.