New lenses or lights?

arvark

I just bought a Canon EOS 1300D / Rebel T6, it comes with a 18-55mm DC III lens. I want to make youtube video, I like the quality, but I'd also like to shoot when it's night and there's no light coming from the outside. Should I invest in a Canon EF 50mm STM Lens? Or should I buy some cheap lights? Also a noob question, is it possible to zoom with that lens? If you know other c.a 100€ lenses I should buy tell me. Thanks!

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

9 minutes ago, arvark said:

I just bought a Canon EOS 1300D / Rebel T6, it comes with a 18-55mm DC III lens. I want to make youtube video, I like the quality, but I'd also like to shoot when it's night and there's no light coming from the outside. Should I invest in a Canon EF 50mm STM Lens? Or should I buy some cheap lights? Also a noob question, is it possible to zoom with that lens? If you know other c.a 100€ lenses I should buy tell me. Thanks!

You mean zoom with a 50mm prime lens?  Sure you can, just take a few steps forward or backward.

I'd get lights first.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Id get a light. Some sort of LED panel probably. Another option to the 50 1.8 would be a 35 1.8 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Prime lenses only offer one focal length, so no you can't zoom.

Something else you are likely not to know is that your camera has an APS-C sensor, which has a 1.6x crop factor. What that means is that to get the actual focal lenth you are at, you multiply by 1.6 s.t. the 50mm is actually an 80mm equivalent lens. 

Also, the f stop is how wide your lenses aperture is, which in turn determines how much light the lens lets through (as you correctly assumed), but it also means that at wider apertures, i.e. smaller numbers, its basically a fraction so the larger the number you see the smaller it actually is, you will have a shallower depth of field. What that means is your background will be out of focus, which is great for subject isolation, but not that great when you want some depth into your shot. 

Also, that is also affected by your camera's crop factor so it is effectively at 2.8 instead of 1.8. 

Therefore, no do not buy the 50mm 1.8 just so you can take shots in low light, invest in lighting instead. 

Small piece of advice, there are countless people on Youtube explaining how these things work in tandem, watch a lot of them before you start buying stuff you might not even need, perhaps think of taking a couple of courses as well, these are not hard concepts, but you might still benefit, especially if you are going to be posting videos on youtube with the possibility of a dislike bar resembling a sith lightsabre. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

I currently have a canon 5d mk ii with a 50mm 1.8 lens. However I have decided that i would like to invest in a new lens.

Should i get a:

canon ef 17-40mm f/4L 

Canon 16-35mm f4/L

Canon 24-104mm f/4L

I would like to say that the reason I am getting an L lens is because I have a professional camera and would like to compliment it with the best lenses.

I currently do a lot of urban photography.

I will also be buying these lenses from a reputable second hand dealer so they will be slightly cheaper. Thanks

2 hours ago, BoldNoble1 said:

I currently have a canon 5d mk ii with a 50mm 1.8 lens. However I have decided that i would like to invest in a new lens.

Should i get a:

canon ef 17-40mm f/4L 

Canon 16-35mm f4/L

Canon 24-104mm f/4L

I would like to say that the reason I am getting an L lens is because I have a professional camera and would like to compliment it with the best lenses.

I will also be buying these lenses from a reputable second hand dealer so they will be slightly cheaper. Thanks

The 17-40mm and 16-35mm are both wideangles, I'd go with the 16-35 if I could afford it. It has a slightly better image quality and I believe IS.

The 24-105mm is also a great lens, but it depends on what you do with the camera. What do you mean by urban photography? Cityscapes or street photography?

Where do you find yourslef in comparison to the 50mm you already have? Do you find it too wide or too tele? 

Why didn't you start a new thread with this issue btw? 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

3 hours ago, BoldNoble1 said:

Should i get a:

canon ef 17-40mm f/4L 

Canon 16-35mm f4/L

Canon 24-104mm f/4L

If you want a wide angle the 16-35 is the best option but if its to expensive the 17-40 isn't bad. Just that the 16-35 is slightly better.

The 24-105 is very versatile, but lacks in sharpness at the extreme ends of the zoom from what I have read where as the 24-70 would be sharper but that one is more expensive. 

However you said you did a lot of urban exploring I would propaply rather go with a wide angle. I feel those are more used in those scenarios but that depends on your style. Would also invest in a solid travel friendly tripod as urbex usally happens at night where you will need either a fast lens, lights or a long shutter speed. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"