How should I get rid of this virus? (Screenshots)

CobbleWalker
Go to solution Solved by Jade,

If your system is compromised and you value privacy, you should really just reinstall Windows. It's absolutely plausible that that virus has installed other viruses -- if not added more, alternative ways to access your system.

Hi guys,

So not to long back, I was up at around 1:30 on the weekend and I was playing tomb raider 2013. Was getting kind of board so I figured I mess around with it in cheat engine a little. I wasn't really thinking and spammed next until it installed. I managed to get rid of 90% of the crap through malware bytes and hunting down processes, but one thing still remains. It's this weird windows update windows that tries to take control of your screen, and it's not very good at it. It only opens when I've been away for a while and can be easily closed by task manager. Whenever I try to delete the host file though, it says I don't have the rights to delete it. This is what I tried (along with anti malware).

(Screenshots)

What it looks like: 

Spoiler

Screenshot (4).png

Spoiler

Screenshot (5).png

Spoiler

Screenshot (7).png

Spoiler

Spoiler

Screenshot (6).png

Screenshot (8).png

Try updating Windows, but through settings (there should be an update feature somewhere). If it stops showing up, it really needed an update. Otherwise, IDK.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Windows Defender (if updated) can get much hard on the so-called virus. Try it before engaging in any advance methods.

If you want to clean it without reinstalling windows you will have to use http://combofix.org/

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Try updating Windows, but through settings (there should be an update feature somewhere). If it stops showing up, it really needed an update. Otherwise, IDK.

Windows is fully updated. 

6 minutes ago, Saurabh Sharma said:

Windows Defender (if updated) can get much hard on the so-called virus. Try it before engaging in any advance methods.

Windows defender is ok but does nothing to help me here. 

6 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

System restoration?

Haha... Because I set a restore point.... *Cries*

If your system is compromised and you value privacy, you should really just reinstall Windows. It's absolutely plausible that that virus has installed other viruses -- if not added more, alternative ways to access your system.

1 minute ago, Jade said:

*sigh* Yeah, I know. I just have massive amounts of driver problems with my rx 380 and it can take me months to work them all out. I had to reinstall because of the drivers about 4 months ago so it's going to be pretty rough, but It's what I'll do :/

1 minute ago, CobbleWalker said:

Windows defender is ok but does nothing to help me here. 

This can happen. Go to settings and to windows defender and then to the exclusion list and make sure there is no exclusion. some of the viruses tend to make an exclusion for themselves.

2 minutes ago, Saurabh Sharma said:

This can happen. Go to settings and to windows defender and then to the exclusion list and make sure there is no exclusion. some of the viruses tend to make an exclusion for themselves.

Nope. Nothing there. 

2 minutes ago, CobbleWalker said:

Farewell, I hope to see you all in another life install of windows. 

come on man don't just give up. but we can help you with driver issues on the other hand.

1 minute ago, Saurabh Sharma said:

come on man don't just give up. but we can help you with driver issues on the other hand.

@Jade Is right. There could very well be other things on the system that I don't know about. I will never know if I get everything. Additionally, it makes no sense for a virus to install its self only to need to be clicked on to deliver the payload. I bet it's already at work. 

6 minutes ago, CobbleWalker said:

Farewell, I hope to see you all in another life install of windows. 

right click, force close, then delete the file before it starts back up again

1 minute ago, ZeusXI said:

right click, force close, then delete the file before it starts back up again

Look at the final screen shot. I don't have the elevated rights to delete it even though I'm admin. 

1 minute ago, CobbleWalker said:

Look at the final screen shot. I don't have the elevated rights to delete it even though I'm admin. 

safe mode

this is why i image my PC's boot drive once a month, i'm way too cavalier with opening sketchy exe files from kickass

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64