[RyZen] - Will we need to reinstall Windows 7?

BaalRunz

So I was googling if AMD users upgrading to Intel motherboards would need to re-install their OS. A lot of results basically said 95% of the time you will need to, but you could try. They mostly stated because of the new drivers for the chipset is not updated so a reinstall would be likely, or you could update windows yourself, but that fuck that.

So, with that said.. Do you think I'd need to do a fresh install of W7 on a new RyZen board? And please don't push the W10 agenda, yes I know I'm on W7, I am not upgrading to 10, sorry.  I'm just curious if you think we'll need to re-install or not as I want to start xfering my files :)

1 minute ago, BaalRunz said:

And please don't push the W10 agenda, yes I know I'm on W7, I am not upgrading to 10, sorry.

http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-confirms-there-will-be-no-ryzen-drivers-for-windows-7/

That may present a problem, unless it works "unofficially" or something.

Speaking in general terms it's usually a good idea to reformat with a major system change like that. But if you can diligently eradicate and reinstall all of your pertinent motherboard drivers, it would probably work alright. Personally I think a clean install is easier, though.

2 minutes ago, typographie said:

http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-confirms-there-will-be-no-ryzen-drivers-for-windows-7/

That may present a problem, unless it works "unofficially" or something.

Speaking in general terms it's usually a good idea to reformat with a major system change like that. But if you can diligently eradicate and reinstall all of your pertinent motherboard drivers, it would probably work alright. Personally I think a clean install is easier, though.

I thought that it will work on W7 but we just cannot get access to "Special CPU" features or something? Which I'm kind of fine with, there is no way I'm going to 10 unless it's some type of godly performance increase :o

But yah. I have no prob re-installing you're right fresh install is prob better

1 minute ago, BaalRunz said:

I thought that it will work on W7 but we just cannot get access to "Special CPU" features or something? Which I'm kind of fine with, there is no way I'm going to 10 unless it's some type of godly performance increase :o

Just to clarify: AMD has validated that ryzen works on windows 7 but will not be providing any support if there is any glitches or crashes due to something not being stable.

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Just to clarify: AMD has validated that ryzen works on windows 7 but will not be providing any support if there is any glitches or crashes due to something not being stable.

Yah that's fine I think. I mean if it really bugs out and causes crashes I guess it's time to upgrade. I'm just going to hold onto 7 as much  as possible -- its my baby

Most probably no but sometimes you may need to upgrade to Windows 10 or latest windows version. Well that's what intel did with Kabylake but AMD is less likely to do that.

Tag me @redblade .