Best Audio Format for Archiving and Listening?

EChondo

Hello all, sorry if this was posted before, but I couldn't find anything exactly to what I was looking for.

I have a HTC DNA, 16GB internal, and I want to put a lot of songs onto it, but I wanted to go the right way about it. So which format has the best compression, but still overall sounds great? Is there any programs you prefer to use when converting formats/bitrates?

I personally use FormatFactory, I've been using it for a couple of years now and it works great when I have to convert small videos from 1080p to 720p, or when converting from mp3 to AAC, but if there is a better conversion tool out there, I'd like to try it out as well.

Thanks guys!

I find MP3 at 320 setting is more that OK for me... but if you wanted to swap to a lossless format such as FLAC then I cant see why not (FLAC files are huuuuuuuuuge though)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I use MP3 at 320 for my phone. 256 if using crap equipment. All my music on my desktop is in FLAC. It really depends what kind of equipment you have to tell a huge difference between MP3 @ 320 and FLAC. I couldn't hear a difference on $5 Big Lots earbuds. It's clear as crystal on my HD 650s.

Spoiler

Hello all, sorry if this was posted before, but I couldn't find anything exactly to what I was looking for.

I have a HTC DNA, 16GB internal, and I want to put a lot of songs onto it, but I wanted to go the right way about it. So which format has the best compression, but still overall sounds great? Is there any programs you prefer to use when converting formats/bitrates?

I personally use FormatFactory, I've been using it for a couple of years now and it works great when I have to convert small videos from 1080p to 720p, or when converting from mp3 to AAC, but if there is a better conversion tool out there, I'd like to try it out as well.

Thanks guys!

First off, there's no need to "upgrade" an MP3 to anything better, as the information lost in the MP3 can't be recovered.

I'm fine with high bitrate MP3. Most people complaining about the quality of high bitrate MP3 is suffering from placebo ;) So I can't really recommend any other formats.

FLAC if storage is not an issue (aka PC). 320 MP3 for mobile

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

First off, there's no need to "upgrade" an MP3 to anything better, as the information lost in the MP3 can't be recovered.

I'm fine with high bitrate MP3. Most people complaining about the quality of high bitrate MP3 is suffering from placebo ;) So I can't really recommend any other formats.

Well I was using the mp3 as an example. I will be converting mostly from WAV anyway.

Well I was using the mp3 as an example. I will be converting mostly from WAV anyway.

Ah, I see! :P Why on earth do you have .wav files? Those are silly big, I would start by converting all of those to FLAC :P

I can't really recommend anything based on personal experience, but I've heard good things about (.ogg) Vorbis files ;)

For lossless files I prefer WavPack for its compression ratio and FLAC for its compatibility (which may not be an issue for many people but unfortunately it is for me). If the file is lossy, I tend to just leave it as is.

If you're absolutely sure that WavPack will be compatible, it will probably be the better choice. Don't bother reencoding lossy files to a lossless format, though.

Edit: I'm stupid.............................

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I use 320 MP3 for everything.

The difference between FLAC and 320 MP3 is so small that I can't justify using FLAC at the cost of filling up the drive spaces.

But FLAC could be nice for archiving

Two revolutionary dance tones

Archive in the least lossless file you can get, because why not, but for listening there's little difference.