Teaching Tech to Disability

gibbsy81

Hi Everyone,

I have been given the opportunity to Teach Tech to someone with a Disability as my Employment.

I am asking what are somethings that i should Teach so far my thoughts are:

• Using Microsoft Word to Write Letters to Friends and Family
  • Using Skype to talk to Friends and Family

For now i want to try and find what he is good and where his ability's are at and what he enjoys from general conversation they seem to be Quite low not extremely low but still not massively high (trying to come up with a nice way to put it) 

What are the expectations from the employer?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 hour ago, gibbsy81 said:

Basic introduction to Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook), then I guess it depends on the needs of the said person

Edited by TheRandomness
Unnecessary (and offensive) joke removed

Using Microsoft Word to Write Letters to Friends and Family

Using Skype to talk to Friends and Family

I'm not sure what you are specifying here by disability. It depends on how disabled they are as some disabled people can easily build a computer. 

I would recommend asking the person and getting to know what they are capable of at the start. 

I wouldn't want to personally start out with this. 

It really depends on the person though and their skill level. 

33 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

What are the expectations from the employer?

Nothing Really as long as he gets something out of it is all that they care about.

27 minutes ago, Generallee said:

What does a blind person and an overclocked cpu have in common 

They both have C-state disabled

xWcl1LVy.jpg

inb4 b&

Basic introduction to Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook), then I guess it depends on the needs of the said person

Wow that joke tho lol.

Yeah thats what i was thinking i want to start off from the basics rather than start off any further along and have them feel as if they are useless and have self doubt about his abilitys.

14 minutes ago, e23 said:

Using Microsoft Word to Write Letters to Friends and Family

Using Skype to talk to Friends and Family

I'm not sure what you are specifying here by disability. It depends on how disabled they are as some disabled people can easily build a computer. 

I would recommend asking the person and getting to know what they are capable of at the start. 

I wouldn't want to personally start out with this. 

It really depends on the person though and their skill level. 

Im talking about mainly disability's such as learning and lack of verbal communication.

The reason i suggested that as starting topics as i want to work the skill level up slowly as i get to understand his abilitys then i can work into the things that would keep him engaged and motivated rather than throwing him in the deep end where he will drown and get nothing from it and have self doubt about his abilitys making things worse.

4 minutes ago, gibbsy81 said:

Nothing Really as long as he gets something out of it is all that they care about.

Wow that joke tho lol.

Yeah thats what i was thinking i want to start off from the basics rather than start off any further along and have them feel as if they are useless and have self doubt about his abilitys.

Im talking about mainly disability's such as learning and lack of verbal communication.

The reason i suggested that as starting topics as i want to work the skill level up slowly as i get to understand his abilitys then i can work into the things that would keep him engaged and motivated rather than throwing him in the deep end where he will drown and get nothing from it and have self doubt about his abilitys making things worse.

That is probably the best way to go. Specifying it person to person and learning what they need to learn to move onto the next chapter. 

1. It's hard to know what to bring to the table going in unless you have knowledge of the person and their skill sets. This is because person A to person B will be different. I wouldn't recommend over doing it if you don't have a great knowledge of the person or what is expected here. You might be wasting your time on some aspects and others might be a great idea. Did they give you a plan to work with? 

2. I would focus on the patience level of the person and how quick they are to getting frustrated with different types of technology. I think that could serve you well here and again person A to person B won't be the same. 

3. If you are working with someone with a disability you have to let them teach you as well how to best work with them over time. This might take a while to learn and some people better than others. 

If you can figure out their quarks it may help as well. 

Both Skype and Word would mean person already knows how to type and generally use computer. Which makes wonder why wouldn't they already have basic familiarity with Word/Office. Skype is good one, maybe social media sites, YT and other video sites... It would all depend on what kind of disability person has. Like learning difficulties are whole other thing than motorization skill issues or hearing difficulties or being visually impaired.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

IMO, the best way to find out what they're capable of is to let them do what they want. Have a few program icon from different categories on the desktop, and go from there.

Don't know if there is a way to record their habits, maybe windows built in parental control, can do it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 2/14/2017 at 9:50 PM, e23 said:

1. It's hard to know what to bring to the table going in unless you have knowledge of the person and their skill sets. This is because person A to person B will be different. I wouldn't recommend over doing it if you don't have a great knowledge of the person or what is expected here. You might be wasting your time on some aspects and others might be a great idea. Did they give you a plan to work with?

Yeah i understand his ability's with a Academic aspect but with Technology i have no idea his not exactly high functioning.

No i didn't get any sort of plan.

If I were you I'd go in and see what he wants to learn on the first day. Brainstorm a little with them here and I don't know if you have to get it cleared with your higher ups, but I'd just run it by them if you have to. 

Gather a few ideas and work on one or two for the next time. Teach what you can also on the first day especially if you have some pools of knowledge on topics. See what they know how to do and look where they can grow from there. 

The first time you do something like this I wouldn't worry if it isn't anywhere near perfect. You'll grow over time if you keep up with it. 

Remember you're also going in with a few things he needs to show you. Such as skill level and knowledge. I'd recommend the plan after the first meeting if you can gather enough information. 

Go in more as an introduction is what I'm saying here.