C# Messenger API

MikiPCMan

Hi,

So a little bit of background info:

I'd like to create a program that could run 0-24 and would do the following: receive a Facebook message with a YouTube URL, download the video and finally send it back as a reply.

It is because my data plan includes unlimited data for Facebook, which I never use, and this way I could get unlimited YouTube.

I've only started programming recently, and I can use C++ and C#, although I'm not very fast or experienced in either of them.

After a bit of searching, I found that the Messenger API uses Javascript, but I haven't used Java or Javascript ever.

So: 

• Is there already a bot/program that could do this (kinda like IFTTT)?
  • If there isn't where how I start writing this program, should I use C# or should I learn Javascript?

Thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, MikiPCMan said:

It is because my data plan includes unlimited data for Facebook, which I never use, and this way I could get unlimited YouTube.

I don't believe it works that way, because you're still downloading from YouTube's servers, which your ISP or whomever will count against your data usage.

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I don't believe it works that way, because you're still downloading from YouTube's servers, which your ISP or whomever will count against your data usage.

I meant it in the way that this program would run on a Raspberry Pi at home, or a VPS and would send the videos to my phone over Messenger.

So the video-watching flow would be: In YouTube app click share -> Send to bot via Messenger -> Bot downloads video and sends it over Messenger -> Phone receives video and I can watch it for free. :)

BTW: I know the received video would be of potato quality, but still, it's free.

On 09/02/2017 at 7:12 PM, MikiPCMan said:

I meant it in the way that this program would run on a Raspberry Pi at home, or a VPS and would send the videos to my phone over Messenger.

So the video-watching flow would be: In YouTube app click share -> Send to bot via Messenger -> Bot downloads video and sends it over Messenger -> Phone receives video and I can watch it for free. :)

BTW: I know the received video would be of potato quality, but still, it's free.

Sounds to me like you should learn JavaScript.

I've had bad experiences with APIs - I have intermediate knowledge in multiple languages (including C#), but APIs just annoy the hell out of me as they never work the way I want them to work.

This sounds really interesting though, make sure to contact me if you need help or reach success in this project - I would love to see the final product!

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold ||