Help building a home NAS Drive

Please help! - How do you build a home NAS drive that you can access through any device at home with an old PC

Basically i want to make a NAS drive out of an old PC, I want to be able to access it from any device and it to be easy to use once set up.

I have been given an old PC and want to turn it into a NAS drive as is isn't really powerful enough to use for anything else.

What's the best way to do this and what do I need to do this as this is my first attempt at making a NAS drive. Any relevant links would be great or written tutorial.

Thanks

fill it with HDD's and set up a windows share. right click the drive or folder, go to properties, set up sharing, set permissions, then you will be able to see that share in the network tab of explorer on any windows machine on the same network.

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Would that work with apple devices like Mac and Iphone as some of my family use Apple. And is it easy to access.

I need like an all purpose user friendly NAS Drive as my family wont know how to connect with it

3 minutes ago, BH2062 said:

Would that work with apple devices like Mac and Iphone as some of my family use Apple. And is it easy to access.

I need like an all purpose user friendly NAS Drive as my family wont know how to connect with it

yeah OSX handles windows samba shares pretty well now, i think network shares just show up in finder on the left same as in explorer in windows, just need to connect and login. don't think you can permanently map a windows share in OSX though, i stand to be corrected though. But you can map the share in windows so that it's always connected and always in your explorer.

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

5 minutes ago, BH2062 said:

as for iphone, probably not, unless theres a samba/SMB app for that, i'm way out of the loop with iphones

Home PC:

Work PC:

Could this be used as like a cloud storage like Dropbox so I can almost drag and drop from a folder as if a USB was plugged in?

15 minutes ago, BH2062 said:

Could this be used as like a cloud storage like Dropbox so I can almost drag and drop from a folder as if a USB was plugged in?

Yup. if you create a network share, you can add that network share to your local computers as mounted drives.

In windows, they will be assigned a drive letter when they are mounted so that you can use them "LIKE" they are a real drive on your computer (albeit, a slow drive since it's attached via network, so I wouldn't recommend running programs from it)

once you have the drive shared from the server, go to your windows workstation and open a windows explorer window. Type in the address bar "\\<servername>\" (obviously replace <servername> with the actual hostname of the server, or IP address). when you see the list of shares you've made, you can right click on them and select "map network drive"

OSx is a little more difficult to operate in this manner. And neither Android nor iOS can do this. However, if you're willing to learn linux for the server, there are opensource software packages out there that will let you create a "cloud" similar to dropbox that other devices can use via Apps

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

that would be better as I am trying to cater for people who don't know a great deal about how to use a PC

I've never set it up myself, but there are options like owncloud. freenas might have a setup to support it. I'd recommend googling it. probably find a few good guides just by searching "linux cloud server"

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

ok I will give free nas a go and see if its any good

2 hours ago, BH2062 said:

ok I will give free nas a go and see if its any good

Yes, freeNAS is very good.. takes a little bit to get used to it, but worth the effort of finding out how to do stuff. There are tons of guides online about how to go about it, but besically all you need to do is set up the basic stuff like root access during installation, and set a static address for your NIC(s) if you want to. Then you can do the rest of the setup thorugh a webadmin.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini