Compatibility Fears and Questions

Cav3Johnson

Hey, Im kinda new to the whole pc upgrade thing. I bought a prebuilt pc a few years ago and finally decided to get a new graphics card. My current one is a GT520 and i found out it was the reason Ive had so many troubles as of late. Im planning on getting a AMD RX-480, as i found one on newegg for $180 with a $20 rebate, and want to be absolutely sure that my pc is compatible. I also have no experience with replacing cards or anything in a pc for that matter (I'm more of the software kind of guy). Since I know you need specs and stuff to check compatibility, here is the list. If you need anything else, I'll be happy to help.

Current Card (GT520, planning to switch to a RX-480)

CPU: AMD FX-4100 (3.6 GHz)

MoBoard: AMD 760G

Power Supply: 500W 120/230V

8 Gb Ram

1 TB Hard drive

Expansion Slots: 1(0) x pci express x16

2(2) x pci express x 1

2(1) x pci

2(0) x dimm 240 pin

windows 10 | 64 bit

Thank you for your help. 

Yes your PC is compatible. In the future, consider using pcpartpicker.com. It will automatically compatibility check your system.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

44 minutes ago, Cav3Johnson said:

Since I know you need specs and stuff to check compatibility, here is the list. If you need anything else, I'll be happy to help.

Yes it should all be compatible, the chipset on the otherhand doesn't really support the cpu (there was a bios update years ago so it should work out of the box no problems) what I mean is there isn't chipset support for all the features of the FX chip, or 1600 or 1866 memory speeds. Depending on the mobo some get over this with oc settings.

A 970fx or 990fx board should be able to be found in the same price range as the older ones.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige