Taking apart & painting G.Skill TridentZ DIMMs

Go to solution Solved by W-L,
50 minutes ago, rjfaber91 said:

-SNIP-

The Tridents are quite easy to take apart and paint they are just held in place by the top plastic cap.

004.JPG

Hello guys,

I've been working on-and-off on a build project for a while now, the premise of which has been to upgrade my main gaming rig and make it much more aesthetically pleasing. I've done a lot of the latter already, but the former rather depends on AMD getting off their arses for once and releasing their Zen-architectured chips already. When Zen was first announced I had good hope that it would have DDR3 support and so I could keep using the white HyperX Fury DIMMs that I bought last year, but we've known now for a while that Zen will be DDR4 only, and so I'll need some new RAM.

Up until now I've only ever used Kingston RAM, and I do love the fantastic reliability that you get with their memory, but I find their lineup of DDR4 models a bit lacklustre, so I've been looking elsewhere, and that made me quite quickly move towards the idea of buying some of the fantastic-looking G.Skill TridentZ sticks. You can get these in black and white, which would fit my build rather neatly, but I'd really like to do a bit more modding of my components than I have been doing so far, so taking the heatsinks of the TridentZ sticks and painting the outer parts with the metallic blue that I'm already using on my GPU backplate seems like a great idea.

Here's my question; has anybody here got any experience taking the heatsinks off of TridentZ DIMMs, and if so, is it comparatively easy or difficult to do so? I'm by no means afraid of the risk that comes inherently with component modding, but if it takes so much effort to take the heatsinks off that I end up accidentally ripping off a memory chip in the process, that would obviously be less than ideal.

If it should turn out to be very doable to disassemble and paint TridentZs, I'll probably end up buying a set now, rather than waiting for the actual Ryzen chips to release, and RAM prices to increase even further than they have done already recently. If not, then I might have to consider whether I'm willing to settle for TridentZs in stock colours, or would instead switch to other RAM that I know I can reasonably paint.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

2 hours ago, W-L said:

The Tridents are quite easy to take apart and paint they are just held in place by the top plastic cap.

Thanks, mate... That one picture does a better job at explaining it than everything I managed to find on the topic myself. :)

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --