Anyone has a GTX 1070 with a monitor without G sync?

LyricalRain018

I just wanted to know is there any noticeable screen tearing with a gtx 1070 and a 1440p to 144hz monitor without g sync. Mostly aaa games.

Any reply will be appreciated.

Not 1070, but i have a 1060, and tried 144/165 Hz without G-Sync 2 Months ago, when i had my first 1440p, 27" 165 Hz Monitor.

If visible Tearing on a 60 Hz Monitor is a 10, 

and Visible Tearing with G-Sync is a 0,

then i would say, Visible Tearing with 144 Hz (and no GSync) is around.. 2-3, maybe 4. maybe 1. Depends on the Game engine.

Some games give you very noticeable Tearing, others don't tear much. CS:GO for example should not tear that much

But anyway, if you're not someone who is looking for every little piece of Tearing, you would be fine.

Otherwise.. i would recommend G-Sync, because it works so well.

I am using a GTX 1060 right now with a new Dell s2417dg 1440p Monitor and 165 Hz, and set Rise of the Tomb Raider and Witcher 3 to put out 45-60 fps each~.

if you want, i can disable G-Sync, and try them both without again, and maybe evaluate how strong the remaining Tearing is.

But keep in Mind: You did spend 400, maybe 500 € for a GTX 1070. A GPU, that WILL be replaced in 2, 3 or maybe 4 years. depending on if you need ultra settings, or if you're fine with High / Medium after a few years.

A good Monitor can last you more than 5 years, maybe up to 10. So i would not save 100-200 bucks and not have G-Sync ^^

28 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Not 1070, but i have a 1060, and tried 144/165 Hz without G-Sync 2 Months ago, when i had my first 1440p, 27" 165 Hz Monitor.

If visible Tearing on a 60 Hz Monitor is a 10, 

and Visible Tearing with G-Sync is a 0,

then i would say, Visible Tearing with 144 Hz (and no GSync) is around.. 2-3, maybe 4. maybe 1. Depends on the Game engine.

Some games give you very noticeable Tearing, others don't tear much. CS:GO for example should not tear that much

But anyway, if you're not someone who is looking for every little piece of Tearing, you would be fine.

Otherwise.. i would recommend G-Sync, because it works so well.

I am using a GTX 1060 right now with a new Dell s2417dg 1440p Monitor and 165 Hz, and set Rise of the Tomb Raider and Witcher 3 to put out 45-60 fps each~.

if you want, i can disable G-Sync, and try them both without again, and maybe evaluate how strong the remaining Tearing is.

But keep in Mind: You did spend 400, maybe 500 € for a GTX 1070. A GPU, that WILL be replaced in 2, 3 or maybe 4 years. depending on if you need ultra settings, or if you're fine with High / Medium after a few years.

A good Monitor can last you more than 5 years, maybe up to 10. So i would not save 100-200 bucks and not have G-Sync ^^

You have a gtx 1060, so the 1070 would experience less tearing at 1440p due to it being closer to 144hz, right? Also, if i buy a g sync monitor, i will be stuck to nvidia. But if i buy a freesync monitor, i won't be stuck to either as i have not paid extra for any feature, right?

I would appreciate the results, with and without g sync, but only if you wouldn't mind.

BTW, thanks for the extensive reply. Most people would reply in 5 lines and be done with it ☺

i wouldn't say that. Tearing occurs, when the Pictures, your GPU puts out, and the Pictures your Monitor displays are NOT Syncronized.

Even, if you get 144 fps on a 144 Hz monitor, without syncing, it's possible to still have Tearing, when the GPU gives out a new Picture right between 2 refresh cycles of the Monitor (then he will always display half screen the old frame, and half screen the new one).

And i don't think, that higher fps gives less tearing, at least i never experienced something like that.

What gives less tearing, is the 144 Hz. It refreshes more often, so the differences between 2 Pictures are much smaller --> Tearing is smaller

Freesync Monitor: Well, you are "stuck" to AMD, if you want to use it.

But if you don't care about Freesync/G-Sync, you can get a Freesync Monitor (as Freesync comes almost for Free anyway), and JUST benefit from 144+ Hz.

okay, Rise of the Tomb Raider: G-Sync is off, V-Sync is off, unlimited fps, no limiter or anything. At that spot i honestly had difficulties, to see any Tearing at all. I had to look up, if Gsync really was off.

However.. it felt a bit less smooth. As if it had a tiny little framedrop from time to time. Nothing special, but yea. still perfectly playable.

Witcher 3: i see veeeeery minimal tearing, if i look out for it. But smooth motions, and very good playable. 

So yea, for reducing Tearing, going from 60 to 144+ Hz already does the most part. having G-Sync will most likely be a small Bonus for the last bit that still remains.

21 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

i wouldn't say that. Tearing occurs, when the Pictures, your GPU puts out, and the Pictures your Monitor displays are NOT Syncronized.

Even, if you get 144 fps on a 144 Hz monitor, without syncing, it's possible to still have Tearing, when the GPU gives out a new Picture right between 2 refresh cycles of the Monitor (then he will always display half screen the old frame, and half screen the new one).

And i don't think, that higher fps gives less tearing, at least i never experienced something like that.

What gives less tearing, is the 144 Hz. It refreshes more often, so the differences between 2 Pictures are much smaller --> Tearing is smaller

Freesync Monitor: Well, you are "stuck" to AMD, if you want to use it.

But if you don't care about Freesync/G-Sync, you can get a Freesync Monitor (as Freesync comes almost for Free anyway), and JUST benefit from 144+ Hz.

okay, Rise of the Tomb Raider: G-Sync is off, V-Sync is off, unlimited fps, no limiter or anything. At that spot i honestly had difficulties, to see any Tearing at all. I had to look up, if Gsync really was off.

However.. it felt a bit less smooth. As if it had a tiny little framedrop from time to time. Nothing special, but yea. still perfectly playable.

Witcher 3: i see veeeeery minimal tearing, if i look out for it. But smooth motions, and very good playable. 

So yea, for reducing Tearing, going from 60 to 144+ Hz already does the most part. having G-Sync will most likely be a small Bonus for the last bit that still remains.

Thanks for your response. I will get the freesync monitor.