[Upgrade log] Carolus Rex's first venture into PC gaming

I made a thread a while back about if i should upgrade the machine i have or build an entirely new one, i've decided to upgrade and i thought i would make a little thread about it. First build/upgrade log, so here it comes. Please be kind and gentle.

Here's what i have:

y4cs.jpg

In this case:

ulp4.jpg

(It's using a 430w PSU that's rated below 80 plus)

The upgrades

A cheap gold rated powersupply, with more than enough power to spare.

Alot cheaper than the 770 and with better or same performance.

What can i say, good ventilation and most importantly sound proofed. Also, the graphics card won't fit properly so that's why the new case, besides it would probably get pretty hot in there. 

Will post some more pictures when it's done!

Paintball, my anti-drug. Because when you play paintball, how could you possibly afford drugs?!?

I made a thread a while back about if i should upgrade the machine i have or build an entirely new one, i've decided to upgrade and i thought i would make a little thread about it. First build/upgrade log, so here it comes. Please be kind and gentle.

Here's what i have:
y4cs.jpg

In this case:

ulp4.jpg

(It's using a 430w PSU that's rated below 80 plus)

The upgrades

A cheap gold rated powersupply, with more than enough power to spare.

Alot cheaper than the 770 and with better or same performance.

What can i say, good ventilation and most importantly sound proofed. Also, the graphics card won't fit properly so that's why the new case, besides it would probably get pretty hot in there. 

Will post some more pictures when it's done!

Good build, but is the R9 280x really still cheaper than the 770 in other countries?

(AMD is always more expensive here, just curious)

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

Good build, but is the R9 280x really still cheaper than the 770 in other countries?

(AMD is always more expensive here, just curious)

With about 50 bucks or so, there are some features i will miss with Geforce Experience like Shadowplay. But with AMD comming out with mantle and BF4 having mantle support, i decided to go with the red team since BF4 is a game i will play alot.

Paintball, my anti-drug. Because when you play paintball, how could you possibly afford drugs?!?

I would upgrade your RAM speed, maybe to 1600Mhz? 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Btw thanks for showing me that system spec software, downloaded it and it's really nice. 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

I would upgrade your RAM speed, maybe to 1600Mhz? 

Just be aware that speccy shows half of your memory frequency, so it's actually 1033mhz, which is fine in my book. Some day i'll tweak it to 1333mhz.

Just be aware that speccy shows half of your memory frequency, so it's actually 1033mhz, which is fine in my book. Some day i'll tweak it to 1333mhz.

I actually just noticed that after I installed it, I had to go to my BIOS to check.

My bad.

I actually just noticed that after I installed it, I had to go to my BIOS to check.

My bad.

No worries.

I have this oh so funny story for you. I ordered the graphics card and the power supple last monday, they arrived the next day. Mom said she would order the case on wednsday, which she did. Only problem is, she ordered to the wrong adress. So it ended up at her house. She lives 380 miles from me. So she has to ship it back to Inet and they have to ship it to me. Ain't that a pincecone in the fruitsalad.

Anyway. Do anyone know where i can find the pinout for the I/O ports on my motherboard. I guess i can figure it out by trial and error and by looking at where the wires go on the old case. But it would save alot of time. I've been seacrhing around but found nothing, any help is appreciated. The front panel I/O connector on the old case is one connector only, simmilar to Asus' Q-connector but without the regular seprate connectors.

So it begins....

b8ds.jpg

• 2 months later...

So things didn't work out as i intended. The PC simply wouldn't boot and i really couldn't figure out why. But i started saving money to complete this build. That time has come and on friday i will buy the rest of the components i need. So all in all, these are the components that i will use in my build:

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43

CPU: 4670k

PSU: Corsair RM 650w

GPU: Asus R9 280x Directcu2

Case: Fractal Design Define R4

Storage: 1,5 TB WD Harddrive

RAM: Crucial Ballstix Sport 8GB 1600mhz

That will be it for now, it will be rather barebones but it'll have to do. 

Things that will be purchased later down the line:

CPU cooler: Probably something like an Noctua NH-D14. There is no window on my case and it will stand under my desk anyway so i don't care about the awful colour scheme

SSD: Depending on what i feel like spending. Either the cheapest Kingston SSD or the cheapest Samsung Evo SSD

But i feel like it would be better to prioritize the periphials first. A good mouse, a mechanical keyboard as well as either a headset or a headphone + standalone microphone setup.