i7-7700k with 6GB 1060 vs. i5-7600k with 8GB 1070??

I am currently weighing up the pro's and con's between two potential builds.  I'm going to mostly be doing gaming on the rig, however at times there will be rendering (although the rendering speeds without hyperthreading I can put up with).

I am wanting an Intel and NVidia build, and I can't decide whether or not to go for a i7-7700K with a 1060 6GB, or to go with a i5-7600K with a 1070.  

Please give me your ideas and thoughts on where I should go.  Price wise, it is £7 more expensive to go with the i7 and 1060, than it is for an i5 and 1060.  I can't really afford to go more than I am with both a 1070 and i7 so need a bit of compromise!

What resolution will you be playing at? 

1080p = i7 + 1060

1440p = i5 + 1070

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

The i5 and the 1070 sounds like a good idea. I have an i5 and it has lasted me well.

I'm only getting a 1080p monitor, but if I'm DSR'ing, then usually 1440p

Keep in mind that i5's are already starting to struggle in games, they arent going to fare too well in games moving forward. Theyre fine now, but if building new I STRONGLY recommend an i7, which can usually be added for not much more than the sacrifice of an AIO cooler (that can be added later) - See my sig (purple text) 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

i5 1070 unless youre doing some soft of media work or streaming.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

Keep in mind that i5's are already starting to struggle in games, they arent going to fare too well in games moving forward. Theyre fine now, but if building new I STRONGLY recommend an i7, which can usually be added for not much more than the sacrifice of an AIO cooler (that can be added later) - See my sig (purple text) 

This whole bottleneck discussion with older chipsets and  i5's is getting out of hand. If you look at benchmarks between the newer i5's and the i7's, the difference in fps is usually <1%

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

7 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

This whole bottleneck discussion with older chipsets and  i5's is getting out of hand. If you look at benchmarks between the newer i5's and the i7's, the difference in fps is usually <1%

Its not about FPS, its Frametimes, I have a picture in an other thread (cant access IMGUR from work) that shows the difference in frametimes as well as FPS, and the i7 (same clock speeds with a titan XP) is a hell of a lot smoother. Remember I said an i5 is fine now, but aren't building a PC just to swap the CPU out in 18 months time, most people want it for 4 years, so advising an i5 (imo) isnt the best advice we can offer, especially if an i7 can be added at the expense of an AIO (like i said, can be added later) 

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

9 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

7 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

The issues with Haswell and later i5's being bottlenecks only really apply at 1080p. Running higher resolutions, internal or native, and the i5's aren't bottlenecks. At 1440p, an i5 won't bottleneck a 1070, and if it bottlenecks a 1080, it'll be insignificant. At 4K, an i5 can drive a Titan XP well.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

13 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

What games?

Its not about FPS, its Frametimes, I have a picture in an other thread (cant access IMGUR from work) that shows the difference in frametimes as well as FPS, and the i7 (same clock speeds with a titan XP) is a hell of a lot smoother. Remember I said an i5 is fine now, but aren't building a PC just to swap the CPU out in 18 months time, most people want it for 4 years, so advising an i5 (imo) isnt the best advice we can offer, especially if an i7 can be added at the expense of an AIO (like i said, can be added later) 

The cost of not putting in an AiO isn't enough to get him to a 1070, its like £100 difference between the cards

3 minutes ago, Russboy360 said:

The cost of not putting in an AiO isn't enough to get him to a 1070, its like £100 difference between the cards

Theres like £40 difference if you drop the AIO. If Op gives a link and budget for his build maybe we could look into a little further.

4 minutes ago, TomR said:

What games?

BF1, Rise of the Raider actually wants 6 cores in some parts of the game (was LTT news) GTAV prefers cores, and REMEMBER THIS IS NOW, not in 18 months time, as I said, an i5 is fine for now, so please stop quoting about how theyre doing now, im speaking about moving forwards as this is a now build :)

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The issues with Haswell and later i5's being bottlenecks only really apply at 1080p. Running higher resolutions, internal or native, and the i5's aren't bottlenecks. At 1440p, an i5 won't bottleneck a 1070, and if it bottlenecks a 1080, it'll be insignificant. At 4K, an i5 can drive a Titan XP well.

Op never said what res, again I completely agree, for now, I speaking of a 1 year + away when DX12/Vulkan become more common place

Ryzen Ram Guide

2 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Theres like £40 difference if you drop the AIO. If Op gives a link and budget for his build maybe we could look into a little further.

BF1, Rise of the Raider actually wants 6 cores in some parts of the game (was LTT news) GTAV prefers cores, and REMEMBER THIS IS NOW, not in 18 months time, as I said, an i5 is fine for now, so please stop quoting about how theyre doing now, im speaking about moving forwards as this is a now build :)

Op never said what res, again I completely agree, for now, I speaking of a 1 year + away when DX12/Vulkan become more common place

Battlefield 1 is really the only game... and it's far from "struggling"

4 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

With the i7, do the Hyper threaded core make a lot of difference when in gaming as they are local ones?

2 minutes ago, TomR said:

Battlefield 1 is really the only game... and it's far from "struggling"

Yes NOW it is, its sign that were moving on

Ryzen Ram Guide

B250+i7 7700 + gtx 1070 = win

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£317.39 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£23.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£150.22 @ BT Shop) 
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1070 8GB JetStream Video Card  (£394.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £886.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-02 23:34 GMT+0000

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£219.96 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£107.50 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£150.22 @ BT Shop) 
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1070 8GB JetStream Video Card  (£394.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £872.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-02 23:35 GMT+0000

Ryzen Ram Guide

5 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Yes NOW it is, its sign that were moving on

That is if you don't count Ubisoft games xD
AC Unity gives my i7 a hard time here and there when there's too many NPCs

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

It'll be a while before Dx12 and Vulkan will be utilizing HTT/SMT quadcores well enough to be a significant difference, and OP might be looking to upgrade to the next platform regardless when that time comes.

We also don't exactly know what games OP intends to play, or if OP's rendering can use GPU acceleration.

While it's not exactly hard to give our recommendations, we might not give the best recommendation for a particular use case, even if it's the best recommendation for every other use case.

2 minutes ago, Russboy360 said:

With the i7, do the Hyper threaded core make a lot of difference when in gaming as they are local ones?

Yes and no. It depends on how well the games are optimized to take advantage of certain technologies and API.

There are games now that see advantages of the HTT an i7 offers, and there will be more games that see advantages from adding cores, be they logical or physical. But there will also still be games that don't see the advantage for the next few years as well. How much difference there is, that's another part of it.

GTA V sees an improvement going from the 6700K to the 6800K due to the extra cores, but it's a minor improvement that doesn't justify the additional costs (mostly in the mainboard).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Russboy360 said:

Only in a few games at this time, I'm trying to advise you best for longer than 6 - 12 months, my guess is you dont wanna regret not getting an i7 at the expense of an AIO in a years time

Ryzen Ram Guide

Only in a few games at this time, I'm trying to advise you best for longer than 6 - 12 months, my guess is you dont wanna regret not getting an i7 at the expense of an AIO in a years time

I see, looking long term, rather then being great in the short term.

I'm just putting together the PC Part Picker build.  I will be wanting this for the long term, in terms of games - BF4, BF1, Assetto Corsa, Tom Clancy Rainbow 6 Siege.  It will be a long term build too - so upwards of 2 years + before I want to do any upgrading of any kind

4 minutes ago, Danboy360 said:

I'm just putting together the PC Part Picker build.  I will be wanting this for the long term, in terms of games - BF4, BF1, Assetto Corsa, Tom Clancy Rainbow 6 Siege.  It will be a long term build too - so upwards of 2 years + before I want to do any upgrading of any kind

If you put that up we can have a look and see if can move some things around if needed. Obviously tell us you max budget, if you need peripherals, monitor or windows 

Ryzen Ram Guide

This is the build:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Dan253/saved/jq9wP6

I've got a keyboard, mouse, Windows copy, and speakers.  The maximum I'd like to spend is around £1350 so I'm a tad over at the moment.  If possible I'd like to keep the AIO and the NVME drive for fast boot and coolers temps when OC'ing.