New Server Tower - With Hard drive bays

Good morning LTT Community:

I'm looking to migrate my "Server" from its existing poor configuration. Currently my server is an i5-4570, 8gb RAM, and a unhealthy hodge podge of misc hard drives I've accumulated over the years. All stuffed inside an HP Pavilion case. The server is exclusively used with a CentOS installation, running as a fileserver and Plex server. With the occasional windows VM (that I use to record video from my desktop)

Now, you can all get past the Cringe. This year, my plan is to "rebuild" this server in a more robust, redundant and safe setup. 

I am not looking to replace the hardware just yet (CPU and RAM are more than enough for what I use for).

Your mission, if you choose to accept it is help me pick out the case, and or accessories required.

Requirements: 

1. ATX (I am not looking to replace the motherboard, memory or CPU at this time)

2. 4+ 3.5" front facing drive bays

3. Quiet (the server is in my office. Quiet as possible is needed.

4. Affordable (don't price out $4000000 parts, this is a home server build, be reasonable)

5. Tower - NOT a rack case (Sorry to add this, I do not have a rack as this is a home server)

Thanks Friends!

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

Are you looking for a 19" case then?

I love Small Form factor ITX rigs.

I'm not sure I understand what is meant by front facing 3.5" bays. If it doesn't conflict with this requirement, I went with the Fractal Define R5 for my file server, as it has 8x internal 3.5" bays, as well as two each 2.5" and 5.25" if I ever need to go beyond that.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 minutes ago, fredih said:

Good options, unfortunately, I did miss a requirement earlier that I don't have a rack and a rack mounted server isn't an option.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Ah ok then. I'd go with a case which simply has the space for 4 HDD's, and if you have to change them, you'd have to unplug the cables, etc.. But if you want to build something like Linus did with the 4-drive hot-swap case insert then it'll cost you a lot more. (Remember that video about that storage server for homes he did?)

@porina's suggestion was not bad.. I'd aggree with it.

I love Small Form factor ITX rigs.

Thanks @techmattr  @Dark and @fredih

I think that's the route I'm going to go. Get a normal cheap ATX case and one of those drive bay enclosures. 4 storage drives in the enclosure, and an OS drive can be mounted internally.

The Supermicro drive cages are the best but pretty unattractive. I've always had great experience with the Icy Dock ones as well which will fit a bit better with modern/sleek designs.

How about a Fractal Design Define XL?  8 internal 3.5 bays and 4 external 5.25" bays that you can install a 5.25" to 3.5" hot swap adapter like this...

https://www.amazon.com/iStarUSA-BPN-DE350SS-Drive-Enclosure-BPN-DE350SS-SIL/dp/B009XA2LLY

That would give you 13 total 3.5" bays plus an available 5.25" bay for an optical drive or a 14th HDD.  Plus those 5.25" to 3.5" adapters use only 2 SATA power adapters to power 5 HDD's!

On 02/02/2017 at 4:34 PM, porina said:

I'm not sure I understand what is meant by front facing 3.5" bays. If it doesn't conflict with this requirement, I went with the Fractal Define R5 for my file server, as it has 8x internal 3.5" bays, as well as two each 2.5" and 5.25" if I ever need to go beyond that.

I Use a Fractal Design Define R5 for my FreeNAS home server build, it's well priced, quiet, looks good, and has plenty have room for all the drives I need