Looking to switch to Sony, what lens options would be best?

Gershy13

I currrently have the 650d, with 4 lenses

EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM

EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II

EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS STM

EF-S 50mm f1.8 STM

I want to switch to the a6300. What would be the cheapest lens options that are similar to mine? the 16-50, 55-210, look like the best options for those lenses, but the 10-18 and 50 1.8 are REALLY expensive.

I dont mind buying used, and i dont mind using adapters. I was thinking about getting the commlite adapter and using all my canon lenses with the exception of the 18-55, (ill get the sony 16-50 instead) as its really crappy.

But then ive heard focusing is terrible, ideally i need focusing to atleast work. it doesnt have to be good, although it would be nice, i just need it to work fairly quickly, and be accurate.

I need the cheapest possible price to switch, even if i sell all my canon gear, ill only have enough to buy the sony body only, or with the 16-50 at most.

What i could do is sell the canon body and 18-55, 55-250, and then get the sony body and 16-50, 55-210. and as for the other 2 lenses, i could get the commlite and use them, as focusing isnt very important on those lenses.

But then if im doing that i might as well get the adapter and use all canon glass.

Tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gershy13

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x + H150i Elite LCD     

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600MHz CL16

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro

GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC       

SSD 1: Corsair MP600 1tb (Windows)      

SSD 2: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb (Scratch Drive)   

SSD 3: Samsung 860 EVO 250gb

HDD 1: WD Blue 1TB

HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Case: NZXT H710

PSU: Corsair TX750M

Mouse: Lamzu Atlantis Pro Mini 4khz

Keyboard: Akko 5075B Plus

Instead of the Sony 50 1.8 I would get the Sigma 30 1.4. They are priced around the same. 

I own the 55-210. Its decent. But its not so good at focusing in low light but its really the best option unless you get the 70-200 f/4 as the 18-200 is said to not have that amazing optics even though it costs twice as much as the 55-210. 

Wide angle, the Samyang 12mm f/2 should be quite sweet, if you can stand the MF but with the focus peaking its not that hard imo. 

The 16-50 is good in most aspects except for IQ. Its not sharp at all. But the best replacement would be the 18-105 f/4 for around 400US. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

8 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

Instead of the Sony 50 1.8 I would get the Sigma 30 1.4. They are priced around the same. 

I own the 55-210. Its decent. But its not so good at focusing in low light but its really the best option unless you get the 70-200 f/4 as the 18-200 is said to not have that amazing optics even though it costs twice as much as the 55-210. 

Wide angle, the Samyang 12mm f/2 should be quite sweet, if you can stand the MF but with the focus peaking its not that hard imo. 

The 16-50 is good in most aspects except for IQ. Its not sharp at all. But the best replacement would be the 18-105 f/4 for around 400US. 

the problem is i need lowest price possible, ive been really happy with the IQ of those canon lenses. I cant afford the sony 50 1.8, which means the 30 1.4 is also out, i want to know if there is any lens with similar specs around the £100 area.

The samyang is also a bit too expensive, ideally around £200/175 range would be better.

im sure the 55-210 would be good with the a6300, atleast much better than the 55-250 with the 650d.

I heard some people used a sigma mc-11. It's a $250 adapter ment to bring sigma EF lens to E. I don't think the autofocus will be the best, but some popular Sony photographer I've seen use it. First name is Jason. Forget the last but he's some Sony ambassador. That would be the cheapest way. 

No way around it Sony glass is a lot. If you had to buy only one Sony lens I'd get the 18-105 f4. It covers a wide range and it's not super expensive. I got mine for $550.

9 minutes ago, thekillergazebo said:

I heard some people used a sigma mc-11. It's a $250 adapter ment to bring sigma EF lens to E. I don't think the autofocus will be the best, but some popular Sony photographer I've seen use it. First name is Jason. Forget the last but he's some Sony ambassador. That would be the cheapest way. 

No way around it Sony glass is a lot. If you had to buy only one Sony lens I'd get the 18-105 f4. It covers a wide range and it's not super expensive. I got mine for $550.

the sigma focuses really well with my 50 1.8 stm, but unfortunately thats the only lens it supports. it doesnt work with efs lenses.

coming back to the commlite, ive just seen a video on someone using it with the a6300 and my lenses, and it seems to work really well. so i might have to try that. atleast for the 10-18 and 50 1.8.

1 minute ago, thekillergazebo said:

Yeah get it for those and get one native Sony lens and I think your set

i think ill have to do that. ill probably get the 16-50,55-210 native, and the other 2 ill use the commlite, but ill try the 55-250 canon with the commlite and see if it works at all, if its good, then i dont have to get the 55-210, as it has a bit further reach, and the aperture is a little better.

The 50-210 is a nice lens and you can buy this Olympus 1.7x thing to go on the front to give you more reach. I've meet a few people around me who have used it and had great luck with it. But the 16-50 I find to be a waste half the time. I love how compact it is and it makes a great travel lens. Also works great with extension tubes. The biggest thing against it is the sharpness. I have two of them since they came with two of my bodies and they. Both have the same issues. In the corners you notice it the most. I mean if you can get the camera with it as a deal, sure go for it since I did the same. Plus it knocks down the price of the 55-210. But I wouldn't buy it out of pocket.

Just now, thekillergazebo said:

The 50-210 is a nice lens and you can buy this Olympus 1.7x thing to go on the front to give you more reach. I've meet a few people around me who have used it and had great luck with it. But the 16-50 I find to be a waste half the time. I love how compact it is and it makes a great travel lens. Also works great with extension tubes. The biggest thing against it is the sharpness. I have two of them since they came with two of my bodies and they. Both have the same issues. In the corners you notice it the most. I mean if you can get the camera with it as a deal, sure go for it since I did the same. Plus it knocks down the price of the 55-210. But I wouldn't buy it out of pocket.

is the 16-50 really that bad? what other cheap sony lens would you reccomend? i also really like how small it is, and its got OSS.

5 minutes ago, thekillergazebo said:

after seeing some sample 4k video, it looks really good for video, im not too sure about photos tho.

I personally dislike that lens a lot. I would rather personally buy the a6000 and get a better lens then get the a6300 with kit lens.

19 minutes ago, thekillergazebo said:

I personally dislike that lens a lot. I would rather personally buy the a6000 and get a better lens then get the a6300 with kit lens.

wow, well i really want the a6300, i liked the quality that came from the kit lens, it wasnt too bad, it was usable especially in video. but ill be mainly using my other lenses for pics and video. the 16-50 will be a portable versatile lens.

7 hours ago, Gershy13 said:

wow, well i really want the a6300, i liked the quality that came from the kit lens, it wasnt too bad, it was usable especially in video. but ill be mainly using my other lenses for pics and video. the 16-50 will be a portable versatile lens.

I would honestly agree that an a6000 body and a better lens if you only can afford the 16-50 kit. Or at least if you will be stuck with it for a year or so. It really isn't sharp at all. One idea could be to get two sigma f/2.8 primes. The 19 and 60 they cost under 200 and are so much sharper than the 16-50. I would add one of those if you go with a6300 + 16-50 so you will have at least one really sharp lens. 

Sure the 16-50 is managable and so. But it really sucks it is that soft. Its practically useless for portraits because of that. Or personally I only use it for wide shots at 16mm 

I totally forgot to mention Sony is having a trade in program. A lot of camera stores around here in the US are participating in it. You trade in any lens or camera body and you get its value plus some. Some have gift cards with it too. Worth checking out. You could use it to buy the body or lens. 

13 minutes ago, thekillergazebo said:

I totally forgot to mention Sony is having a trade in program. A lot of camera stores around here in the US are participating in it. You trade in any lens or camera body and you get its value plus some. Some have gift cards with it too. Worth checking out. You could use it to buy the body or lens. 

Do you know id this is avalible in Sweden? Or Europe? It would be nice if I could trade in some things maybe to help pay for my new body

16 minutes ago, thekillergazebo said:

Thats awesome, although im in the UK.

2 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

Do you know id this is avalible in Sweden? Or Europe? It would be nice if I could trade in some things maybe to help pay for my new body

I too would like to know as im in the UK.

Not to sure, but here is one of the stores I've seen this from

Adorama

I've also seen it from a few other places but I'm sure if you google it you might be able to see if it's in your area. When I looked it was mostly full frame stuff.

Just now, thekillergazebo said:

Not to sure, but here is one of the stores I've seen this from

Adorama

I've also seen it from a few other places but I'm sure if you google it you might be able to see if it's in your area. When I looked it was mostly full frame stuff.

yeah i dont think its in the uk, and i dont see the a6300 or a6500, so thats a bummer

I know another place had apsc stuff, but I don't remember the store. I just remember this one because I'm eyeing the a7r2

22 minutes ago, thekillergazebo said:

I know another place had apsc stuff, but I don't remember the store. I just remember this one because I'm eyeing the a7r2

i cant find any place that does the a6300. im going to NY in May, do you think the offer would still be up?

Currently B&H is offering a $100 digital gift card on purchase of the A6300, a few weeks ago (during the holidays) it offered a $200 gift card.  But if you have relatives who live outside of NY, don't buy the camera in NY else you'll be paying a bit more in tax.  Instead order it online and ship the camera to friends/relatives who live in the US but outside of NY.  Then either go to them and pick it up or have them mail it to you when you visit NY or bring it with them if they visit you.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Just now, AkiraDaarkst said:

Currently B&H is offering a $100 digital gift card on purchase of the A6300, a few weeks ago (during the holidays) it offered a $200 gift card.  But if you have relatives who live outside of NY, don't buy the camera in NY else you'll be paying a bit more in tax.  Instead order it online and ship the camera to friends/relatives who live in the US but outside of NY.  Then either go to them and pick it up or have them mail it to you when you visit NY or bring it with them if they visit you.

do you mean a different state? wouldn't that cost a lot? I'll be going to NY, then Pittsburg, would it be cheaper to ship it to a hotel? Can i ship to a hotel? Can the gift card be used for the purchase of the a6300?

6 minutes ago, Gershy13 said:

do you mean a different state? wouldn't that cost a lot? I'll be going to NY, then Pittsburg, would it be cheaper to ship it to a hotel? Can i ship to a hotel? Can the gift card be used for the purchase of the a6300?

I think B&H offers free shipping in the US, or very low cost.  If you order online (and ship to a NY state address) or buy at the store in NY and do a pickup, you pay about 8-9% in sales tax above the product's price.  But if you order online and have it shipped to somewhere else in the US but outside of NY state you don't pay the sales tax.

I don't think you can use the Gift Card on the camera at the time of purchase, but use to buy something else (like camera bag or spare batteries or memory cards).  Just order the camera first, get the digital gift card, make a second purchase on B&H for those accessories you want, use the gift card.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

7 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

I think B&H offers free shipping in the US, or very low cost.  If you order online (and ship to a NY state address) or buy at the store in NY and do a pickup, you pay about 8-9% in sales tax above the product's price.  But if you order online and have it shipped to somewhere else in the US but outside of NY state you don't pay the sales tax.

I don't think you can use the Gift Card on the camera at the time of purchase, but use to buy something else (like camera bag or spare batteries or memory cards).  Just order the camera first, get the digital gift card, make a second purchase on B&H for those accessories you want, use the gift card.

thanks, ill have to buy it when im in the US, so it might be cheaper then, but im not sure if the gift card will still be there. my other option is to buy used in the US, as its still cheaper than anything here.

2 minutes ago, Gershy13 said:

thanks, ill have to buy it when im in the US, so it might be cheaper then, but im not sure if the gift card will still be there. my other option is to buy used in the US, as its still cheaper than anything here.

However you make the order/purchase, as long as you have it delivered to a location outside of NY state you don't have to pay the NY state sales tax.

I often need to order stuff from B&H because their prices are cheaper than buying something in Europe, so I just have my purchases shipped to friends who live in the US (outside of New York of course) and have them post it to me or bring over when they visit.