is the fx 8350 obsolete (for gaming)

i recently brought a new gpu (gtx 1060 6gb) and my cpu is an fx 6300.

thinking about upgrading my cpu but only have about 250 to spend so my initial option would be to go for an fx 8350, but my question is should i go for an i3 or an entry level i5 if it can fit my budget (dont think i could buy skylake due to having to buy new ram)

Don't replace your FX 6300 with a FX 8350, it isn't worth it.

If you can, I would recommended you try and sell your CPU/motherboard platform ASAP, I think the value will drop significantly when Ryzen comes out if you don't sell it now.

Nope, it's not obsolete. It's like this: FX-8350 is good-enough for a GPU up to the RX 480 / GTX 1060 6GB point. Though replacing an FX-6300 for an FX-8350 won't bring huge performance gains. I'd wait it out until Zen releases.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

My FX 8350 let's me run all games at Very High/Ultra, with an overclocked R9 270X 4GB.

You do, though, need to mess about a little bit to optimise it; to get a stable overclock etc.

I'd say wait for Ryzen, to be honest, mate.

Personally, I'm sticking with my 8350 as the Ryzen 4-core won't be better, probably (and also because I can't afford the Ryzen 8-core).

I'm not sure about the fx 8350 as i don't really have knowledge on AMD's side, but if you can get your hands on Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPUs you should be fine. 2600k or 3570k should be fairly cheap now if bought used and they are still pretty damn good. Even haswell/devils canyon as they are on the older side now aswell, but i'm not too sure if they are that cheap when bought used yet. But i don't think that the 8350 is that bad.

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Nope, it's not obsolete. It's like this: FX-8350 is good-enough for a GPU up to the RX 480 / GTX 1060 6GB point. Though replacing an FX-6300 for an FX-8350 won't bring huge performance gains. I'd wait it out until Zen releases.

i know it wont be a massive performance but i keep getting dips in games and i think its my cpu letting me down 

1 minute ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

i know it wont be a massive performance but i keep getting dips in games and i think its my cpu letting me down 

Is your current cpu overclocked? That could get you some more performance if you need it.

2 minutes ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

Well, I personally don't think it'll be worth it to spend money on an FX-8350 atm unless on a crazy good price, remember that you need to have an appropriate motherboard for it and a cooler that lets you overclock.

As I said, I'd wait or if I couldn't wait I'd get an i5/i7.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, I personally don't think it'll be worth it to spend money on an FX-8350 atm unless on a crazy good price, remember that you need to have an appropriate motherboard for it and a cooler that lets you overclock.

As I said, I'd wait or if I couldn't wait I'd get an i5/i7.

yeah i might just try and save up and just be patient, i would have more money to spend but im going on holiday like a month after my birthday so i need to keep some money for spending money (the pound to dollar rate is s**t at the moment :P )

6 hours ago, CDHoward said:

My FX 8350 let's me run all games at Very High/Ultra, with an overclocked R9 270X 4GB.

My 4670K @ 4.3ghz and a GTX 980 doesn't let me run all games at very high/ultra.

Pretty sure my hardware is faster, and you're talking out of your arse. 

As for the topic, yes it is obsolete in the sense that you shouldn't invest in it anymore. But i'd withold buying a new platform until Ryzen drops/

my prediction is that when the new CPU arrive in a month or so; the second hand market will be flooded with 83X0. Make your decision then. I bought a 8120 when it came out and i have not needed to upgrade the CPU to play games at high/ultra settings. I have considered upgrading to the 4GHz 8 core FX models so I can overclock higher and compile software faster, but it is a couple of hundred bucks not worth it considering no one will buy the used CPU I have

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

my prediction is that when the new CPU arrive in a month or so; the second hand market will be flooded with 83X0. Make your decision then. I bought a 8120 when it came out and i have not needed to upgrade the CPU to play games at high/ultra settings. I have considered upgrading to the 4GHz 8 core FX models so I can overclock higher and compile software faster, but it is a couple of hundred bucks not worth it considering no one will buy the used CPU I have

Assuming he can go without a PC for months. Because the affordable chips aren't the first ones to roll out. Pretty sure the 8C/16T ones will hit first, and those will be pretty expensive.

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

My 4670K @ 4.3ghz and a GTX 980 doesn't met me run all games at very high/ultra.

Okay, so I was probably pushing it with the Ultra claim.

My OC'ed 8350, though, benchmarks just a sliver under the 9590. And my OC'ed 270X benchmarks equally to a 980 with Furmark.

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

My 4670K @ 4.3ghz and a GTX 980 doesn't met me run all games at very high/ultra.

they are not talking out their arse. the gamer hate towards AMD-FX is strong in this one. an 8 core FX is equivalent to a quad core intel but it can clock higher; it needs to clock higher. it just takes a bit of playing with to get it to perform, but it can perform

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, CDHoward said:

And my OC'ed 270X benchmarks equally to a 980 with Furmark.

> furmark.

Let's see you post 16500 graphics scores in Firestrike. You're still pushing it mate.

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

they are not talking out their arse. the gamer hate towards AMD-FX is strong in this one. an 8 core FX is equivalent to a quad core intel but it can clock higher; it needs to clock higher. it just takes a bit of playing with to get it to perform, but it can perform

More referring to the GPU, mate.

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Doesn't this depend on the game and if it can utilize multiple cores correctly/etc?

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

> furmark.

Let's see you post 16500 graphics scores in Firestrike. You're still pushing it mate.

I admit, Firestrike cripples me.

And by the way, actually I do game at Ultra with smooth framerates.

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Assuming he can go without a PC for months. Because the affordable chips aren't the first ones to roll out. Pretty sure the 8C/16T ones will hit first, and those will be pretty expensive.

go without a PC? this cat has a pc. a not so great three FX unit cpu that runs equivalent to an i3

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

go without a PC? this cat has a pc. a not so great three FX unit cpu that runs equivalent to an i3

On single core, yeah, which is fastly becoming redundant with DX12.

Look, in benchmarks, my 8350 actually beats most of the I7s lel.

1 minute ago, BaalRunz said:

Doesn't this depend on the game and if it can utilize multiple cores correctly/etc?

it depends on a lot of things, game ending, compiler, OS. I just upgraded to the 3GB model of the GTX1060 last year when it came out and I'm satisfied with the games I can play. There are concerning games that cannot push the CPU above 50% load and i think thats because of the intel compiler. it is comparable to the quad core i5, it is also priced at that point. They are an octa core priced at the price of a quad core intel for a reason

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

The FX 8350 wasn't good even when it was launched, you take any Intel i5 and i7 released in the same year compare it to the 8350 you'll see that the i5's and i7's are better.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

3 minutes ago, CDHoward said:

only in compiling software and running virtual machines

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

It's not obsolete, as it's perfectly able to play games. If you're buying a 8350, get it used and for as little as possible, maybe for about $100, it's not really worth paying full price for.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

26 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Thought you were suggesting to sell it because of the second-hand market dropping. But you were suggesting to buy second hand when that occurs, my bad.

But then we'd have to know the motherboard he's using. Which is a Asus M5A97 LE R2.0, not great.

23 minutes ago, CDHoward said:

Is there no end to your cognitive dissonance? Just stop with the misinformation, please.