jokerdude3

So I finally built a new computer after around 5 years. Some basic specs are:

Intel i5 6600k 

Nvidia GTX770

ASUS Z-170A MOBO

3TB HDD

256GB SSD 

Windows 10

As you can see my graphics card is out of date and I was wondering how reputable galax is? Since their prices are so much lower than all the other mainstream Graphics card manufactures.

Not too familiar with Galax since they aren't very big in NA. They are a legitimate AIB though and you should be fine with their cards. 

1 minute ago, Rolfejc said:

Not too familiar with Galax since they aren't very big in NA. They are a legitimate AIB though and you should be fine with their cards. 

Yea i typically bought from ASUS but the almost $80 difference between some of the cards ive been looking at make them a very nice choice.

1 minute ago, jokerdude3 said:

Yea i typically bought from ASUS but the almost $80 difference between some of the cards ive been looking at make them a very nice choice.

I'd hope that $80 difference would be for a high end 1060 like maybe a Strix card. I would agree Galax looks like a very nice choice in this situation though. Even if the Asus card is a Strix 1060 I still don't think $80 more is a reasonable price for a better cooler and nice to have features. 

1 minute ago, Rolfejc said:

I'd hope that $80 difference would be for a high end 1060 like maybe a Strix card. I would agree Galax looks like a very nice choice in this situation though. Even if the Asus card is a Strix 1060 I still don't think $80 more is a reasonable price for a better cooler and nice to have features. 

Thats what I am thinking, I was looking at the STRIX 1060 and it was nice and flashy, but I just want to play games and if the Galax is just as good or +/- a couple % it seems worth it to me.

23 minutes ago, jokerdude3 said:

What budget/what country?

The 480 is overall a better card than the 1060

What's your display set up? just a standard 1080p 60hz display?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

What budget/what country?

The 480 is overall a better card than the 1060

North America

my budget is right a round $230 which is right around where the GALAX sits.

5 minutes ago, jokerdude3 said:

North America

my budget is right a round $230 which is right around where the GALAX sits.

Should certainly get a 480
$175 for this 4GB 480, dual fan as well
https://pcpartpicker.com/mr/newegg/9NZ2FT

8GB model
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pvZ2FT/msi-radeon-rx-480-8gb-armor-8g-oc-video-card-rx-480-armor-8g-oc

The 480 gives you access to the less expensive free-sync technology when you upgrade your display, as well as crossfire, but that's generally not recommended

It's already caught up in DX11 performance, and scales very well with DX12/Vulkan in well implemented titles, you could even opt for the 8GB 480 with your budget if you're into modding games, or Resident Evil 7 loves to eat VRAM

-

-

-

-

-

-

Although the XFX GTR 480 is the best overall 480, seen a dude take one to 1580 mhz

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Should certainly get a 480
$175 for this 4GB 480, dual fan as well
https://pcpartpicker.com/mr/newegg/9NZ2FT

The 480 gives you access to the less expensive free-sync technology when you upgrade your display

and it's already caught up in DX11 performance, and scales very well with DX12/Vulkan in well implemented titles, you could even opt for the 8GB 480 with your budget if you're into modding games, or Resident Evil 7 loves to eat VRAM

-

After watching this videos I do see the fact that price to performance weighs more towards the AMD side for some of the games, but at the same time, I plan on OCing and the fact that i most likely wont be using over 6gb of VRAM i tended to ignore the RX480 8gb card. And with all that being said I am green fanboy and will most likely go with the 1060, but thank you for the information.

20 minutes ago, jokerdude3 said:

After watching this videos I do see the fact that price to performance weighs more towards the AMD side for some of the games, but at the same time, I plan on OCing and the fact that i most likely wont be using over 6gb of VRAM i tended to ignore the RX480 8gb card. And with all that being said I am green fanboy and will most likely go with the 1060, but thank you for the information.

Nvidia cards run pretty close to their limit out of the box, at most your card gets stable at 2100mhz, if overclocking is your game the AMD card will end up faster still, making it the clear choice overall

long live stream, so skip through it, but all the overclocking fun seems to be with AMD for now, the card here maxes out at 1580 mhz, he's using a custom bios naturally to get that much power to the core

the XFX GTR being the card to buy for overclocking
Price is just over, $260 here, demand seems to have gone up for it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J8CCUL2/?tag=pcpapi-20

And this here is pretty much why you should buy the 480, DOOM Vulkan, 1060 at 2107 mhz 128 fps, RX 480 at 1470mhz 163 fps, the 480 is going to age very well as DX12/Vulkan take off, this is also pretty old, before the newer drivers in the previous videos

-

-

And that's not to mention upgrading your display later, which is

$229 for a 1080p 144hz TN free-sync display
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZBZ2FT/aoc-monitor-g2460pf

Or $349 for the same panel but with G-sync
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/R998TW/aoc-monitor-g2460pg

Spoiler

For what is worth there is only thing said wrong, AMD takes the lead on DX12 but Vulkan has been beneficial to both nVidia and AMD, both got improvements with it, so AMD vantage lays only in DX12 drivers right now, not both DX12 and Vulkan.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Where are you finding a Galax 1060 for $230 in North America?