Questions regarding cooling on gaming laptops

KrMaH

Hey folks!

Yet again I turn to the almighty wisdom of the participants of this forum for help.

I'm looking into buying a gaming laptop sometime this summer.

I'm not really looking for help setting a budget or finding specs, as I know what I'm looking for on that front. But I'm quite inexperienced with cooling performance of gaming laptops. My current 13 inch with an i3 never really gets hot, so I have currently no issues.

But, I'm looking at an 15 inch with an i7 6700 or 7700hq, 16 gigs of ram and a 6gb gtx1060. Which I've understood can become rather hot in the confined space of a laptop.

I've ruled myself down to one of the following brands: asus, msi, lenovo (i currently have a think pad and love it) or a gigabyte.

What I've noticed is that the gigabyte p55v6 only has one exhaust where the others have at least two. I've also noticed that the Asus strix model I've been looking at is rather thin whereas the others are thicker. How does this impact cooling performance?

I'm not so concerned about acoustics, as I always game with headphones, though it'd be nice not to bring a jet engine to lectures. I'm more worried about the differences in cooling performance between them. Does anyone have any experience with the different machines?

Also, does anyone have any insight in the general building quality between them?

Any and all relevant replies are extremely appreciated!

Otherwise, have a fantastic Sunday, folks! :D

get a Clevo laptop, they have better cooling than any of the brands you looked at and stay away from Gigabyte laptops, they are hot, really hot. There is also more to it than just how many exhausts a laptop got, like how good are the fans, how thick are the fans, how is the intake, how big/long the heatpipes are.

http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p650hp6-g-custom-built-gaming-laptop-w-nvidia-gtx-1060-w-g-sync.html

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

get a Clevo laptop, they have better cooling than any of the brands you looked at and stay away from Gigabyte laptops, they are hot, really hot. There is also more to it than just how many exhausts a laptop got, like how good are the fans, how thick are the fans, how is the intake, how big/long the heatpipes are.

http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p650hp6-g-custom-built-gaming-laptop-w-nvidia-gtx-1060-w-g-sync.html

Thanks for your reply!

I'll take note and stay the heck away from gigabyte laptops then!

On the regards of clevo, I've considered both them and eurocom, and my problem is that I live in Norway which has ridiculously high import taxes on anything above 100USD. So if I order something from the US I'll both lack a Nordic keyboard (which I can work around) but also risk having to pay a lot more than what my budget allows without having that much gains.

39 minutes ago, KrMaH said:

Thanks for your reply!

I'll take note and stay the heck away from gigabyte laptops then!

On the regards of clevo, I've considered both them and eurocom, and my problem is that I live in Norway which has ridiculously high import taxes on anything above 100USD. So if I order something from the US I'll both lack a Nordic keyboard (which I can work around) but also risk having to pay a lot more than what my budget allows without having that much gains.

I'm almost positive Norway has a local Clevo reseller.  Eurocom sells Clevo btw so your considering the same thing lol.  

Something like these guys?

http://www.multicom.no/multicom-kunshan-p651h-156-full-hd/cat-p/c1000042/p10636141

X99 build!  Asus X99-A | i7 5820k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB RAM | Gigbyte G1 980 Ti sli | 250 + 500GB 850 Evo + 1TB MX300| 1TB WD Blue | Corsair 450D
Clevo P650RS i7 6820hk | GTX 1070 | 16GB RAM | 4K PLS Display | 1TB Sandisk Ultra II
Dell Latitude E6430 i7 3720qm | 6GB RAM | Nvidia Quadro NVS 5200m | 128gb ssd + 320GB hdd
Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps
Headphone Set Up Sennheiser HD800 | Sennheiser ie800 | Chord Mojo

5 minutes ago, Galm said:

I'm almost positive Norway has a local Clevo reseller.  Eurocom sells Clevo btw so your considering the same thing lol.  

Something like these guys?

http://www.multicom.no/multicom-kunshan-p651h-156-full-hd/cat-p/c1000042/p10636141

Multicom laptops are clevo?

Huh, didn't know. Guess you'll learn something new every day.

I've bought a customizable multicom laptop before, and to be honest wasn't very happy with it. The hard-drive took a Shit on itself after a year and a half and the keyboard quit after two.

Though I could've just been unlucky, that machine looks rather tempting to be honest! A bit sceptical about the screen hinges though.

52 minutes ago, KrMaH said:

Multicom laptops are clevo?

Huh, didn't know. Guess you'll learn something new every day.

I've bought a customizable multicom laptop before, and to be honest wasn't very happy with it. The hard-drive took a Shit on itself after a year and a half and the keyboard quit after two.

Though I could've just been unlucky, that machine looks rather tempting to be honest! A bit sceptical about the screen hinges though.

I won a 1070 version of that machine.  Can you link which multicom model you owned?  N series Clevos while they work are built like shit.  The P series Clevos (which that is) are built much much better.  

What's wrong with the hinges?  Haven't noticed anything wrong with mine.  The lid itself has some flex.  But the chassis is very very sturdy.  Above average.

X99 build!  Asus X99-A | i7 5820k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB RAM | Gigbyte G1 980 Ti sli | 250 + 500GB 850 Evo + 1TB MX300| 1TB WD Blue | Corsair 450D
Clevo P650RS i7 6820hk | GTX 1070 | 16GB RAM | 4K PLS Display | 1TB Sandisk Ultra II
Dell Latitude E6430 i7 3720qm | 6GB RAM | Nvidia Quadro NVS 5200m | 128gb ssd + 320GB hdd
Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps

The machine I had has gone out of production ages ago, but I spent 9500 NOK (equivalent to 1700USD back then, or 1100 USD now) on it back in 2011.

It had an i5 of some sort (can't remember which), 8 gigs of ram and a gtx 555m. It was indeed awesome and worked very well until the hard drive went to hell, but that's the last time I'll be buying a hybrid disk lol. I'll try to see if I can fire it up and find the model specs for it when I get home.

I'm going to consider that multicom laptop though, looks like a fair deal for the price even without OS, but that means no bloatware so I guess it makes up for it.

About the hinges, might just be me who's sceptical, which I am to everything  (hence why I started this thread). If you have positive experience with the machine I'll take your word for it! How are the acoustics? Can you turn off the discrete graphics? And what are the Temps like?

Sorry if I ask many stupid questions, but I like to be well informed, and have a philosophy of rather asking too many questions than too few. You can never be educated enough! :P

Thanks for the information so far though, guys! Really appreciate it! :)

19 minutes ago, KrMaH said:

The machine I had has gone out of production ages ago, but I spent 9500 NOK (equivalent to 1700USD back then, or 1100 USD now) on it back in 2011.

It had an i5 of some sort (can't remember which), 8 gigs of ram and a gtx 555m. It was indeed awesome and worked very well until the hard drive went to hell, but that's the last time I'll be buying a hybrid disk lol. I'll try to see if I can fire it up and find the model specs for it when I get home.

I'm going to consider that multicom laptop though, looks like a fair deal for the price even without OS, but that means no bloatware so I guess it makes up for it.

About the hinges, might just be me who's sceptical, which I am to everything  (hence why I started this thread). If you have positive experience with the machine I'll take your word for it! How are the acoustics? Can you turn off the discrete graphics? And what are the Temps like?

Sorry if I ask many stupid questions, but I like to be well informed, and have a philosophy of rather asking too many questions than too few. You can never be educated enough! :P

Thanks for the information so far though, guys! Really appreciate it! :)

My temps are good, but I have IC diamond and liquid ultra, so while temps are normally fine, mine are way better than average.  Like low 70s.  

Acoustics are alright I guess.  It's not that quiet but I've had far louder machines.  Silent for normal tasks.  

You actually can turn off discrete graphics which is really rare for a gsync laptop.  It can use the iGPU if you so choose.  

Check out forum.notebookreview.com and go to the Clevo owners lounges.  The Clevo P6XXRS owners lounge is the one for this machine.  Early on it had some fan issues and a displayport issue, but a bios update a while ago now fixed it.  If you bought one it shouldn't have those issues.

Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps

Thanks a lot! Very Informative!

May i ask, are you Norwegian since you had knowledge of multicom? Not many people, even Norwegians, know about them.

7 minutes ago, KrMaH said:

Thanks a lot! Very Informative!

May i ask, are you Norwegian since you had knowledge of multicom? Not many people, even Norwegians, know about them.

Nope, I'm just that good ;p

This is mine: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/gaming-laptop-guide-pascal-edition.796958/

So I try my best to stay up to date on everything I can.  While I only have 50 posts here, you'll see on NBR I'm a much much higher repped user.

Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps

2 minutes ago, Galm said:

Nope, I'm just that good ;p

This is mine: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/gaming-laptop-guide-pascal-edition.796958/

So I try my best to stay up to date on everything I can.  While I only have 50 posts here, you'll see on NBR I'm a much much higher repped user.

Well! Thank you kind sir for all your awesome information and helpful insight! Even though I didn't get the replies I hoped for I have learnt of something much better!

You might get a pm from me with other questions if I have any, but of course not without your permission.

3 minutes ago, KrMaH said:

Well! Thank you kind sir for all your awesome information and helpful insight! Even though I didn't get the replies I hoped for I have learnt of something much better!

You might get a pm from me with other questions if I have any, but of course not without your permission.

Go right ahead!  Happy to help in any way I can.  

Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps

24 minutes ago, Galm said:

Go right ahead!  Happy to help in any way I can.  

Thanks bud! I'll try not to be annoying and obnoxious ?