What is the best Gtx1070 ?

Nagisa Shiota
Go to solution Solved by QuantumBit,
59 minutes ago, Nagisa Shiota said:

OHh well tbh iam not that into overclocking thing iam kinda you know scared of that thing because i might damage it on due time ~ though but hmmm soo i shall abandon asus then since i recalled they have really bad customer support now is evga and zotac which is better ? and does the i7 give any significance to gaming at all or i5 is already good thanks all~ for helping btw iam really new to this pc building kind of thing 

No point in spending $100+ on a i7 for gaming

Also when they say "overclocked" they mean it already comes like that, you don't need to do anything.

Hello iam currently building my Pc but iam troubled on to which is the best gtx 1070 ? iam currently debating on asus strix oc 1070 and Zotac amp edition 1070 which is better ? and if there is better than these 2 mentioned pls give suggestions thanks  ! ^^ 

Get whichever is cheaper, the only difference is how it looks and minor cooling differences.

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

The differences are minor between models. Get the cheapest one you can find - except the Asus Turbo, the plastic of the shroud makes me uneasy.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

6 minutes ago, Nagisa Shiota said:

Hello iam currently building my Pc but iam troubled on to which is the best gtx 1070 ? iam currently debating on asus strix oc 1070 and Zotac amp edition 1070 which is better ? and if there is better than these 2 mentioned pls give suggestions thanks  ! ^^ 

the amp extreme is the best 1070 out of the bunch but the backplate is not that nice due to the yellow and it's a massive card, i'd go with a 1070 FTW 

@Nagisa Shiota I suggest going with the Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce OC 8GB GDDR5. Gigabyte is known for having one of the lowest temps among the other manufacturers in a specific price range. :) 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

In my opinion you should pick up the zotac gtx 1070 amp extreme edition as it has the highest factory overclocked and you can find it quit cheap actually 408 dollars on amazon,in addition to this it's quite solid,so close your eyes and go for it.

OHh well tbh iam not that into overclocking thing iam kinda you know scared of that thing because i might damage it on due time ~ though but hmmm soo i shall abandon asus then since i recalled they have really bad customer support now is evga and zotac which is better ? and does the i7 give any significance to gaming at all or i5 is already good thanks all~ for helping btw iam really new to this pc building kind of thing 

59 minutes ago, Nagisa Shiota said:

Also when they say "overclocked" they mean it already comes like that, you don't need to do anything.

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

I don't know if this is the best option but this is what i choosed: Msi Gtx 1070 quick silver 8gb OC.

It seems like a really good card but the main reason i went with it is because it's white tbh.

If you don't care about the way it looks you could go with a Gigabyte gtx 1070 windforce.

It doesn't have a backplate but it has good cooling too.

If you are not sure what to buy just look up a couple reviews and videos about it.

That's what i did for 3 months straight when i was planning my first build.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Whichever is cheaper or fits your colour scheme/personal preference best...

Also, ignore the people saying that i7s make no impact in gaming... This has been disproved time and time again. i5s are good, but i7s are simply better (primarily with giving more consistent frametimes and a higher minimum framerate).

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

On 1/30/2017 at 11:06 AM, HKZeroFive said:

Whichever is cheaper or fits your colour scheme/personal preference best...

Also, ignore the people saying that i7s make no impact in gaming... This has been disproved time and time again. i5s are good, but i7s are simply better (primarily with giving more consistent frametimes and a higher minimum framerate).

i7 is better in CPU bound games. Most GPU bound games have not really that bigger framerates with i7. However, many games can take advantage of Hyperthreading, and I see more and more games like that in the future. 

52 minutes ago, 4kliksphilip said:

i7 is better in CPU bound games. Most GPU bound games have not really that bigger framerates with i7. However, many games can take advantage of Hyperthreading, and I see more and more games like that in the future. 

Even so, in those GPU-bound games you'll see the higher minimum framerates and more consistent frametimes like I've previously said before. And, if you're pushing for a high framerate, a i7 is a must to leverage the full potential of a high-end GPU.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

Even so, in those GPU-bound games you'll see the higher minimum framerates and more consistent frametimes like I've previously said before. And, if you're pushing for a high framerate, a i7 is a must to leverage the full potential of a high-end GPU.

That is true, although it is an extreme case. We're speaking generally.

19 hours ago, 4kliksphilip said:

That is true, although it is an extreme case. We're speaking generally.

I wouldn't call high framerate gaming "extreme" since that demographic still makes up a significant portion of the gaming community... within informed communities (I say "informed" because we're still living in a time where a good amount of people think an unlocked i5 is essentially the very best for gaming and i7s should only be for editing) it's generally agreed upon that a GTX 1070 is where you'll start to see the benefits of an i7 come into play more in the form of higher framerates. And CPUs have essentially hit a hard wall in terms of performance, whereas GPUs will continue to increasingly deliver more performance at a more accessible price. I won't call it futureproofing because I hate the concept but more "equipped for the future"... to put it another way, i7s will last much longer than a i5 and you essentially won't have to worry about upgrading the CPU for many, many years.

By all means, I would choose the i5 6600K + GTX 1070 combo over the i7 6700K + GTX 1060/RX 480 for gaming if forced but a i7 shouldn't be reserved for "extreme" cases.

Spoiler

On 29.1.2017 at 4:04 PM, QuantumBit said:

There is, because an i5 is already Bottlenecking in some Games, depending on GPU (aka, depending on how much fps you have).

in BF1, yes i5 is struggling, and an i7 would deliver a much smoother framerate experience.

Witcher 3? Well, in CPU Limit, an i5 delivers 100 fps, an i7 can push 140 fps (see DigitalFoundry for Tests).

Not interesting for anyone using a 60 Hz Monitor, as more than 60 fps are useless. But if someone is using a 144 Hz Monitor? Then it would be just stupid to go down to an i5, but still buy a 500€ GTX 1070. The CPU is more important, as it will remain in the PC for the next 5-6 Years, and will need to deliver the data not just for the GTX 1070 today, but also the GTX 1270 in 3 years you might upgrade to.

Get an i5 today + GTX 1070 can already bottleneck today like i said. But with a much stronger GPU in 3 years, you will be in a situation, where the i5 is bottlenecking, since an i7 would deliver more fps.

Honestly: I would chose i7 + GTX 1060 / RX 480 over an i5 + GTX 1070 ANYDAY. Because it's important to have a solid strong Platform as a basis, that will remain for 5-6 Years.

i5 + 1070 might deliver more avg fps in most games today, but as soon you upgrade that, you are in a huge disadvantage.

Look into the next 5-6 Years, not just today. You won't upgrade your CPU in 2 years with your GPU. CPU has a much longer lifespan --> CPU is important.

I mean, just think now about a Sandybridge or Ivy bridge. Compare them TODAY, after 5-6 years, i5 vs. i7 how they perform with the GPUs and Games, that are out today.

I promise you, the i7 will deliver MUCH better fps. the difference is today MUCH higher, than it was 5 years ago. because a Sandybridge i5 IS bottlenecking today, and would bottleneck even a GTX 1060/RX 480. While the i7 Sandy will struggle much less. While the i5 Sandy user might need to upgrade today, the i7 Sandy user might be fine for another year or 2.

Hyperthreading does make a difference.

And if there is 150€ to upgrade the 1060 to a 1070 which only lasts for 2-3 years, there will be 110€ more for an i7 which lasts 6 years.

----> If you DO have the Money for it, Get the i7. Period. You won't regret it.

The "Extreme scenario" WILL come in a few years by itself, you don't need to force it ;)

59 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

I wouldn't call high framerate gaming "extreme" since that demographic still makes up a significant portion of the gaming community... within informed communities (I say "informed" because we're still living in a time where a good amount of people think an unlocked i5 is essentially the very best for gaming and i7s should only be for editing) it's generally agreed upon that a GTX 1070 is where you'll start to see the benefits of an i7 come into play more in the form of higher framerates. And CPUs have essentially hit a hard wall in terms of performance, whereas GPUs will continue to increasingly deliver more performance at a more accessible price. I won't call it futureproofing because I hate the concept but more "equipped for the future"... to put it another way, i7s will last much longer than a i5 and you essentially won't have to worry about upgrading the CPU for many, many years.

By all means, I would choose the i5 6600K + GTX 1070 combo over the i7 6700K + GTX 1060/RX 480 for gaming if forced but a i7 shouldn't be reserved for "extreme" cases.

I was referring to the part "a i7 is a must to leverage the full potential of a high-end GPU" as an "extreme case". Considering high-end GPU, as say 1080 or Titan XP. Not so many people can afford those, as highest market share is more around 1070, to this day.

Also, I think there was a misunderstanding with extreme case. I mentioned it as a math term, also known as "limiting case", where you take highest possible variables to the equation.

1 hour ago, 4kliksphilip said:

I was referring to the part "a i7 is a must to leverage the full potential of a high-end GPU" as an "extreme case". Considering high-end GPU, as say 1080 or Titan XP. Not so many people can afford those, as highest market share is more around 1070, to this day.

Also, I think there was a misunderstanding with extreme case. I mentioned it as a math term, also known as "limiting case", where you take highest possible variables to the equation.

Okay, I'm not sure if we're on the same wavelength at the moment...

I was trying to explain that the GTX 1070 (not so much with the GTX 1060) is where you're going to start to see an i5 6600/7600K (even when overclocked) struggle in many titles if you were playing at a resolution such as 1080p 144Hz since it cannot keep up with the number of drawcalls and "bottleneck" it (hence, why I said an i7 is a must to leverage the full potential of a high-end GPU; the GTX 1070 belongs in that category). Digital Foundry demonstrated this with their video using a Titan X Maxwell (which I think we can agree is not unlike a GTX 1070).

True, said titles are significantly also CPU-bound as well as also being GPU-bound (The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Crysis 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Battlefield 1 and Watch Dogs 2 to name a few) but that's essentially the definition of the ever popular word that is "bottleneck".

Spoiler

17 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

Okay, I'm not sure if we're on the same wavelength at the moment...

I was trying to explain that the GTX 1070 (not so much with the GTX 1060) is where you're going to start to see an i5 6600/7600K (even when overclocked) struggle in many titles if you were playing at a resolution such as 1080p 144Hz since it cannot keep up with the number of drawcalls and "bottleneck" it (hence, why I said an i7 is a must to leverage the full potential of a high-end GPU; the GTX 1070 belongs in that category). Digital Foundry demonstrated this with their video using a Titan X Maxwell (which I think we can agree is not unlike a GTX 1070).

True, said titles are significantly also CPU-bound as well as also being GPU-bound (The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Crysis 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Battlefield 1 and Watch Dogs 2 to name a few) but that's essentially the definition of the ever popular word that is "bottleneck".

What about a 1070 with i5-6600k on 60Hz? 

Because i have a 6600k and i'd like to buy a 1070.

8 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

What about a 1070 with i5-6600k on 60Hz? 

Because i have a 6600k and i'd like to buy a 1070.

For 1080p 60Hz? Seems mighty overkill but you should be fine.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

For 1080p 60Hz? Seems mighty overkill but you should be fine.

Okay thanks. I got worried for a second :)