Download Speeds Capped at 20mbps

I recently built a new computer and when I set it up and started downloading applications/games, I noticed that my download speeds are capped at 20 megabits per second. I have a 50 mbps internet service and every other device seems to be working fine, but when I try a speed test, it just stays right around 20 mbps. I have an ASUS Z270-A motherboard with an Intel ethernet adapter. (Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (5) I219-V) It is a Gigabit port. Please help I am becoming very frustrated as my old PC (using the same ethernet cable, a CAT5) did not have this problem. I have tried switching ports on my router, re-installing drivers, re-booting modem/router just to name a few.

EDIT: I tested the ethernet cable on a different PC and it worked perfectly, jumping to 50mbps

It might be possible that there is a problem with speed auto negotiation between your on board Ethernet port and the one in your router. try changing values "Speed & Duplex" value to "100Mbps Full Duplex" in Ethernet properties...

1 minute ago, bigtech said:

It might be possible that there is a problem with speed auto negotiation between your on board Ethernet port and the one in your router. try changing values "Speed & Duplex" value to "100Mbps Full Duplex" in Ethernet properties...

I did that and it didn't work. I also tried 1gigabit full duplex but that didn't work either. :(

Try logging into your router and see if your speeds are being capped there, with my router you can choose you internet max speed. Thats proberly not the case though. I know this is proberly going to sound pretty sad but here in aus im lucky to get 2mbs lol.

Good Luck

-Coop

4 minutes ago, CoopTheYeti said:

Try logging into your router and see if your speeds are being capped there, with my router you can choose you internet max speed. Thats proberly not the case though. I know this is proberly going to sound pretty sad but here in aus im lucky to get 2mbs lol.

Good Luck

-Coop

I logged onto my router on here and I didn't see an option to do that. I'll doub...triple check that out though. EDIT: Still didn't see the option

Try running a speedtest at dslreports.com/speedtest . Their speedtest is different from others in that it uses multiple connections at once. This can help us determine the type of cap you are seeing - whether it is limiting your conputer to 20Mbps, or each connection to 20Mbps.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

On 1/29/2017 at 0:17 PM, brwainer said:

Try running a speedtest at dslreports.com/speedtest . Their speedtest is different from others in that it uses multiple connections at once. This can help us determine the type of cap you are seeing - whether it is limiting your conputer to 20Mbps, or each connection to 20Mbps.

I ran all of the tests, still won't go over 20 mbps, I also tested the ethernet cable on a different PC and it worked fine, jumping right up to around 50mbps

• 4 months later...
On 29.1.2017 at 6:17 PM, brwainer said:

I have the same issue as the op of this post. Every download speed test i take has a result of 20mbps even tho i have a 50mbps connection but when i go on dslreports.com/speedtest the results are around 50mbps any idea why or how to fix it? (edit) with an ethernet cable the same problem.