960 underclocked

Mathew Schau

I recently bought a GTX 960 from eBay for a really good price, ($95) however I think I found out why it was so cheap. The 960 is clocked at 783 so performance on it is less than desirable. In fact the card is at 100% when gaming which seems odd because it is only using a fraction if its clockspeed. I can manually "overclock" the card with MSI afterburner but it won't let me edit the voltage either. I was just thinking that maybe there could be a driver or software issue I could test? (And yes, I have the latest drivers from nividia.)

Sounds like a driver issue as under normal circumstances, it shouldn't be clocked so low. 

By the way, can you post a screenshot of GPU-z? :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

The Galax GeForce GTX 960, Nvidia reference card, in my machine has currently a core clock: 1126 MHz (Driver version: 378.49 and DirectX version: 12.0).

Are you feeding the card enough power?

Try downloading drivers directly from Nvidia rather than relying on GeForce Experience. But before you do that, download and run Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to completely remove all the old video card drivers and other installation media such as registry keys. Then make sure that you select Custom Install rather than Express Install and when the Nvidia driver installer program asks if you would like to perform a clean install select that button also.

hope this helps

Links

-Click here- for another thread post image I uploaded earlier.

Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).