Should I keep my switch pre-order?

Hey guys, quick question:

I managed to snap up a preorder on a single switch unit that went up for a couple minutes on best buy. Obviously being a pre-order I can cancel at any time. Really the only game I have super high hopes for on release is Zelda BOTW, I'm unsure if I should keep my pre-order or cancel it. I know though if I cancel it I won't get a second chance at getting one, and will likely have to wait until a while after release to get one. I'm curious if I should jump on the launch train or see how switch does and wait for some more games to come out before I purchase. Thanks.

Seeing the stock for the Switch is very limited, you can keep your pre-order for that reason alone. But to me it looks like the Switch is becoming another Wii U, and you'll have a fairly limited amount of launch titles to enjoy until more games come out. 

I feel the Switch will be unique enough to sell for anyone who is on the go and wants somthing portable (as long as they can find a outlet to charge it). The switch is aiming for the more mobile market it's basicly a gaming tablet so if you want a gaming tablet with all the first party Nintendo games then get the switch but if you don't want a gaming tablet then just get a regular gaming console.

Considering you should be able to return it for 14 days after you get it for a 100% refund, I don't see any reason not to keep it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Eh I wouldn't bother until it's a little more mature.

That said, I imagine since it's in high demand you could resell it for a profit.

Then buy it at regular price once there's more games out for it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If you can afford it then yeah, keep the preorder. I'm personally somewhat worried that its hype might start dying down pretty quickly and soon there won't be many games  coming out for it to keep it relevant. But if you like the hybrid concept and are into the exclusives then yeah keep it

2 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Keep the preorder then put that bitch on ebay at launch.

Ugh. OP, don't do this shit.  

Keep it.  Play Zelda and decide what your next game will be. Games are coming.  We already know this.  If you're going to get one eventually, what's the difference?  Seriously.  Keep the one you have now.  

57 minutes ago, TheBestUserName said:

Ugh. OP, don't do this shit.  

Keep it.  Play Zelda and decide what your next game will be. Games are coming.  We already know this.  If you're going to get one eventually, what's the difference?  Seriously.  Keep the one you have now.  

He sounds like he doesn't want it. Canceling the preorder would be stupid when he could make a nice profit selling the system. Then he can go and buy a Switch in the fall when Super Mario Odyssey (and hopefully other top games) will be out. Maybe Nintendo will even be bundling a game by then. Consoles are almost always bad to buy at launch because of the lack of good games early on, but the Switch launch really looks lame with Zelda the only exciting game. I'd hold on to the preorder with the intention of selling, and if the OP decides he really wants to play Zelda at the last minute he can just keep the console.

46 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

He sounds like he doesn't want it. Canceling the preorder would be stupid when he could make a nice profit selling the system. Then he can go and buy a Switch in the fall when Super Mario Odyssey (and hopefully other top games) will be out. Maybe Nintendo will even be bundling a game by then. Consoles are almost always bad to buy at launch because of the lack of good games early on, but the Switch launch really looks lame with Zelda the only exciting game. I'd hold on to the preorder with the intention of selling, and if the OP decides he really wants to play Zelda at the last minute he can just keep the console.

I do want the console, I'm just skeptical about the launch line up as I'm sure many are. Zelda is the only worthwhile launch title I plan on playing, maybe Mario Kart in april as well as some virtual console games. I just keep thinking if I wait a bit and maybe get a killer deal, but even that's not guaranteed. I don't feel like buying Zelda on the wii u though if I'm going to be rebuying it up the road on the switch for another $60. Kind of a waste of money IMO. I've still got about a month to decide, but I think either way I will keep the preorder.

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I'm well aware of the pros/cons and people's opinions of buying a system on launch.  I've bought four different consoles on launch and I hear both sides of it each time.  I don't care how people spend their money and I'll buy systems on launch if there's even just one game I want to play. So we have our own views that differ on when we like to buy....  

My main issue is with asshole scalpers that buy up things (not even just video games) and immediately sell them just to make money and screwing other people that actually just want the stuff. It's maddening and it's a despicable person that does that. Seriously.  Have some dignity and be a decent human being. People do that shit here in town with concert tickets. As soon as tickets go on sale, they're sold out within minutes. Sometimes faster. I tried to get Tool tickets and waited on the site for sales to open. As soon as it was open, they were sold out.  So many people were refreshing the page that it just turned into a lottery. Some people got some, some people didn't. And immediately I already saw they were on ticket resale sites for double and triple the price. People that do that crap and screw the fans.. or person that actually wants a Switch.  

Rant over. 

13 minutes ago, DarkKnightVFX said:

I do want the console, I'm just skeptical about the launch line up as I'm sure many are. Zelda is the only worthwhile launch title I plan on playing, maybe Mario Kart in april as well as some virtual console games. I just keep thinking if I wait a bit and maybe get a killer deal, but even that's not guaranteed. I don't feel like buying Zelda on the wii u though if I'm going to be rebuying it up the road on the switch for another $60. Kind of a waste of money IMO. I've still got about a month to decide, but I think either way I will keep the preorder.

I'd be really surprised if this ends up a Wii situation where the console is hard to find 3 months later. Everyone wanted the Wii when it launched but the level of excitement for the Switch seems quite a bit lower. Are you getting a good trade in value for your Wii U or do you plan to use it a lot for mobile gaming? If either of those is the case then I could see keeping it a lot more.

2 minutes ago, TheBestUserName said:

My main issue is with asshole scalpers that buy up things (not even just video games) and immediately sell them just to make money and screwing other people that actually just want the stuff.

Nintendo likes to trickle out their releases. They should share blame too.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Nintendo doesn't trickle anything. They've supplied as many Switch consoles on launch as Sony did for the PS4. No one gave Sony shit for it or had some conspiracy theory. 

And no, they shouldn't share the blame for scalpers' guilt for scumbag behavior.  They can choose their actions regardless what Nintendo does or doesn't provide.  I've got a teenager, and that sort of excuse sounds like something I'd only hear from a teenager trying to avoid being in trouble, not a rational adult making ethical decisions. 

1 minute ago, TheBestUserName said:

Nintendo doesn't trickle anything. They've supplied as many Switch consoles on launch as Sony did for the PS4. No one gave Sony shit for it or had some conspiracy theory. 

And no, they shouldn't share the blame for scalpers' guilt for scumbag behavior.  They can choose their actions regardless what Nintendo does or doesn't provide.  I've got a teenager, and that sort of excuse sounds like something I'd only hear from a teenager trying to avoid being in trouble, not a rational adult making ethical decisions. 

I don't know, I wasn't paying much attention to the PS4 launch once I saw it was such disappointing hardware. You sound like a teen crying about fairness. A rational adult would see a moneymaking opportunity selling that console for a profit if he isn't interested in keeping it.

40 minutes ago, TheBestUserName said:

I'm well aware of the pros/cons and people's opinions of buying a system on launch.  I've bought four different consoles on launch and I hear both sides of it each time.  I don't care how people spend their money and I'll buy systems on launch if there's even just one game I want to play. So we have our own views that differ on when we like to buy....  

My main issue is with asshole scalpers that buy up things (not even just video games) and immediately sell them just to make money and screwing other people that actually just want the stuff. It's maddening and it's a despicable person that does that. Seriously.  Have some dignity and be a decent human being. People do that shit here in town with concert tickets. As soon as tickets go on sale, they're sold out within minutes. Sometimes faster. I tried to get Tool tickets and waited on the site for sales to open. As soon as it was open, they were sold out.  So many people were refreshing the page that it just turned into a lottery. Some people got some, some people didn't. And immediately I already saw they were on ticket resale sites for double and triple the price. People that do that crap and screw the fans.. or person that actually wants a Switch.  

Rant over. 

I will agree on the regard of getting screwed over by scalpers. As an amiibo collector I can't tell you the type of price inflation I've gone through to get certain amiibos. The switch is no exception here with people already trying to upsell to $200+ what it's even worth. It's ridiculous, and I'd hate to become what I've despised for so long. Even if it put me at a loss.

39 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

More than usually they trickle out releases after they've dumped a boatload of games down at launch. It's odd to see such a different approach with the switch. I just certainly hope there are more games to be announced at e3 and directs.

11 hours ago, Technicolors said:

To me it looks like the Switch is becoming another Wii U, and you'll have a fairly limited amount of launch titles to enjoy until more games come out. 

I don't see them as similar at all. The Wii U launched before Christmas and had a pretty damn long list of games that you could also get on PS3/360/PC. You could get FIFA, Mass Effect, Need for Speed, Batman, Assassin's Creed and CoD. What it didn't have was any compelling games that you couldn't get on PS3/360/PC. In the first 9 months the best Nintendo exclusive games on Wii U were ZombiU, Nintendo Land, New SMB U and Lego City Undercover. Did I say best? I think I listed all of them.

The reverse is true for the Switch. It's launching in the quietest time of the year for games in general. It's not getting many games and it's certainly not getting much in the way of third party support. Which kinda makes sense given that the big holiday third party releases will all be 3months+ old by then. But what it does have are a bunch of games you can't get on PS4/XBOne/PC. In the first 9months or so it's getting Zelda, 1-2 Switch, Mario Kart 8, Arms, Fire Emblem Warriors, Splatoon 2 and a few other smaller release. Fair to say it's well ahead of the Wii U in that regard.

I'm not saying it's going to do Wii numbers or that the launch lineup is epic. But to say it's the same as Wii U is a bit of a stretch. At launch the Wii U pitch was "you can play CoD on it now but you'll get more interesting stuff later we promise". The Switch pitch is currently "it's got Zelda, Mario Kart and Splatoon. Also Skyrim, remember Skyrim? It's portable now". Very different.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

15 hours ago, skywake said:

The reverse is true for the Switch. It's launching in the quietest time of the year for games in general. It's not getting many games and it's certainly not getting much in the way of third party support. Which kinda makes sense given that the big holiday third party releases will all be 3months+ old by then. But what it does have are a bunch of games you can't get on PS4/XBOne/PC. In the first 9months or so it's getting Zelda, 1-2 Switch, Mario Kart 8, Arms, Fire Emblem Warriors, Splatoon 2 and a few other smaller release. Fair to say it's well ahead of the Wii U in that regard.

I'm pretty sure most people who will be getting the Switch just want to play 1st party and exclusive titles, such as the ones you have listed. and er... Nintendo fanboys (not that i have a beef against them, in all honesty). this is the case for the Xbone and PS4 as well. 

15 hours ago, skywake said:

I'm not saying it's going to do Wii numbers or that the launch lineup is epic. But to say it's the same as Wii U is a bit of a stretch. At launch the Wii U pitch was "you can play CoD on it now but you'll get more interesting stuff later we promise". The Switch pitch is currently "it's got Zelda, Mario Kart and Splatoon. Also Skyrim, remember Skyrim? It's portable now". Very different.

Still kind of gonna wait for Mario kart, Splatoon, etc.. but that is expected for any launch console. and pretty certain that the majority of early Switch owners will be playing Zelda BOTW to some, or much extent

1 hour ago, Technicolors said:

I'm pretty sure most people who will be getting the Switch just want to play 1st party and exclusive titles, such as the ones you have listed. and er... Nintendo fanboys (not that i have a beef against them, in all honesty). this is the case for the Xbone and PS4 as well. Still kind of gonna wait for Mario kart, Splatoon, etc.. but that is expected for any launch console. and pretty certain that the majority of early Switch owners will be playing Zelda BOTW to some, or much extent

I don't disagree but that wasn't my point. What I meant was that the Wii U had a lot of games at launch, far more than the Switch. But none of them were anywhere near as big as Zelda, Mario Kart or Splatoon. The Wii U had games that people wanted for Wii U. The Switch has games people want a Switch for. Much easier to convince yourself the Switch is worth getting than the Wii U. I think it's fair to say that the Switch isn't becoming another Wii U. Not at launch at least.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I think you should keep it, and enjoy the console.  If you do plan to sell it, do so at cost to a friend who missed out.  Scalping, while a great way to make a buck, is a dick move.

9 hours ago, Monte_Carlo said:

I think you should keep it, and enjoy the console.  If you do plan to sell it, do so at cost to a friend who missed out.  Scalping, while a great way to make a buck, is a dick move.

I completely agree. More than likely if I don`t end up enjoying the console (which isn`t likely) one of my friends missed out on preordering and I'm sure he'd love it.