3D-Printer: KIT or DIY

Akadis
Go to solution Solved by dany_boy,
4 hours ago, Akadis said:

i am thinking about diy to save money. Would I have disadvantages like bigger tolerances and stuff?

The money you will save is not much, and the disadvantages are many if you go full DIY. Even with a kit a 3d printer can be difficult to set up. Go for a kit if you wanna save money, if you want it to just work buy a pre-made.

Cheers!

Goal: Prusa i3 mk2

So I have a friend which could print all the parts of the prusa, i have a local store to get nearly all mechanical parts and because I am in an electronics/informatics school i won't have any problems with that part

My Question:

Would it be worth it to DIY all of it or should i get the Kit?

4 minutes ago, r4tch3t said:

I'd say, if you can afford it, a kit. Everything will be there and there's no hard to find parts holding you up.

i am thinking about diy to save money. Would I have disadvantages like bigger tolerances and stuff?

4 hours ago, Akadis said:

The money you will save is not much, and the disadvantages are many if you go full DIY. Even with a kit a 3d printer can be difficult to set up. Go for a kit if you wanna save money, if you want it to just work buy a pre-made.

Cheers!

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

Yeah get the kit. Chances are your local store won't have things like the PEI bed with auto leveling points or the Ultimachine Mini Rambo. I mean the i3 mk2 kit is pretty cheap and it includes some very high quality parts, there isn't much reason not to go with it. 

ASU

I would go kit. You pay more but everything works better together. I really think the $50 or whatever you spend for the kits is worth it to save time troubleshooting. There are so many headaches that occur when doing a DIY solution. If you have all sorts of time and really want to tinker, then go the DIY solution. Otherwise, the kit is going to be much better in the long run. 

Put it this way, I have very little spare money so I decided to go the diy route, that was a year ago. I got caught up by a couple of hard to get parts. I should have it working soon but I wish I'd just saved for a kit so everything was there. Would have taken a couple months extra to save money, but I'd have been using it now.