How would I connect my speakers to my TV?

Koshigaya

I got a new TV and it only has optical audio out, there's no analog audio out. How would I connect my bookshelf speakers to this? Would I have to convert analog to optical?

20170121_153540.jpg

Your TV doesn't appear to have an Audio out mate.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

You usually connect them to your receiver if you have one. Otherwise I would try to find something of quality according to your speakers quality that converts digital to analog.
Are your speakers active or passive btw?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

7 minutes ago, Koshigaya said:

I got a new TV and it only has optical audio out, there's no analog audio out. How would I connect my bookshelf speakers to this? Would I have to convert analog to optical? Or do I need a receiver? I have an amp but I don't think running the amp at max and controlling the volume with the TV would be a very good idea.

-snip-

Can you post a picture of your speakers and their inputs, and list their Model Numbers if you have that info?

Something like this, is what you need at a most basic level:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Converter-Adapter/dp/B01GYIMX6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485031841&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=SPDIF%2Boptical%2Bto%2Banalog%2Bconverter&th=1

This is a DAC - Digital (Optical) to Analog Converter. In this specific case, it outputs standard component RCA L+R 2 channel audio. You can take these outputs and use passive analog converter adapters to get whatever connectors you need, or you can try and find one that will meet your specific needs.

Keep in mind, directly connecting a set of speakers to this probably isn't ideal, unless each speaker has their own (or one master) volume control.

You could definitely get a Receiver. And if you plan on upgrading your speakers sometime in the future, a Receiver might be the better way to go anyway. It really depends on how much money you want to spend. A good new receiver will set you back over $100 (Often $200-$300 or more) - used, maybe a bit less. Whereas that DAC I linked is like $20.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

You usually connect them to your receiver if you have one. Otherwise I would try to find something of quality according to your speakers quality that converts digital to analog.
Are your speakers active or passive btw?

They're passive. I was trying to see if I can get away with just connecting them to the amp then to the TV. The only annoyance would be controlling the volume.

5 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Your TV doesn't appear to have an Audio out mate.

Incorrect. It quite clearly says "DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) on one of the ports. Did you look at the image?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Can you post a picture of your speakers and their inputs, and list their Model Numbers if you have that info?

Something like this, is what you need at a most basic level:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Converter-Adapter/dp/B01GYIMX6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485031841&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=SPDIF%2Boptical%2Bto%2Banalog%2Bconverter&th=1

This is a DAC - Digital (Optical) to Analog Converter. In this specific case, it outputs standard component RCA L+R 2 channel audio. You can take these outputs and use passive analog converter adapters to get whatever connectors you need, or you can try and find one that will meet your specific needs.

Keep in mind, directly connecting a set of speakers to this probably isn't ideal, unless each speaker has their own (or one master) volume control.

You could definitely get a Receiver. And if you plan on upgrading your speakers sometime in the future, a Receiver might be the better way to go anyway. It really depends on how much money you want to spend. A good new receiver will set you back over $100 (Often $200-$300 or more) - used, maybe a bit less. Whereas that DAC I linked is like $20.

The speakers are Micca MB42X. They're powered by a SMSL SA50, very basic. I originally used these for my PC, but I wanted to upgrade from the TV's speakers. I'm not really looking to go full home theater since I live in a condo and my neighbors would hate me.

71VdCvYnQkL._SL1280_.jpg