RAM prices going way up

mvitkun

I remember seeing some quality corsair vengeance cl9 1600mhz ram on newegg for weeks costing $39.99,now that same ram costs $62.99.glad I built my rig a while back,but dang I hope prices go back down,this is insane.

Was it just me or did this come out of nowhere?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Same, the RAM I bought for $39 in September(Team 8GB 1600MHz) is now $60! And I got 8GB for free with my motherboard!

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Noticed a couple of sticks of RAM I was looking at for $109 went up to $129 now at Newegg. No idea why RAM is going up.

Its going up because there smart... Next gen consoles = next gen games meaning people for some godly reason will think hey i need more ram and bam extra money. U

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

Its going up because there smart... Next gen consoles = next gen games meaning people for some godly reason will think hey i need more ram and bam extra money. U
Thats just a theory

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

8GB Dimms for me, have cost around 50-60 dollars for quite some time now.

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Because DDR4
Crucial is really pushing DDR4: http://www.crucial.com/promo/DDR4.aspx

But I think it will take a couple of years for it to hit the consumer market.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Because DDR4
It's not so much when DDR4 comes out, but when they start throttling the production of DDR3, which is probably now! They are just easing us in with the prices, I reckon it'll be fairly mainstream by 2014 and by then prices will have doubled.

Bought an 8GB kit of Corsair Vengeance LP from Scan (here in the UK) in January to finish off my build parts, cost £30.

Went to get another 8GB kit, the identical LP kit, it had gone up to £45. I was shocked, in one month it had gone up £15, scanned amazon and ebuyer, same prices, i was astonished.

Still bought 'em, but i noticed all ram is doing it. Was gonna get some SODIMM's for my laptop aswell, but they had gone up from around £25 to £40 as well.

Suppose the same thing happened to HDD's when the factory was flooded, prices never came back down though. :L

Now you've mentioned it.. 8GB of Corsair LP was €40 last December and now it's €60..

Very weird

I saw a Samsung 30nm 2*4gb ram increased by $10-$20 past few months.
yeah the samsung 30nm was on newegg for $40 a while back,and now you can only find it anywhere for around $100,

microcenter as always has it for considerably less,but it still costs $60.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

8GB Dimms for me, have cost around 50-60 dollars for quite some time now.
well then I feel sort of bad for you,you've been left out of the awesome ram prices that we've been having.
Linus Sebastian said:

It's because I needed to buy some, hence the price increase. Don't worry, now that I have my 16GB kit, the prices will go down again :-P

CPU:i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz | GPU: 2 x GTX 980's | Mobo: Asus Maximum Hero VII | RAM: 16GB's ARES GSkill @ 1600MHz | PSU: Corsair AXI 760W | OS: Win 8.1 Professional 64-bit | Monitor: 27" 1440p IPS panel | Heatsink: H100i

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

They were fairly priced ram but now the prices are so high that they seem like high performance ram even though its CAS 11 ram.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

It's because I needed to buy some, hence the price increase. Don't worry, now that I have my 16GB kit, the prices will go down again :-P
I know what you mean,I bought parts for my pc,like the TX650 for 89.99 ,then the HX750 went on sale I think for $79.99 the next week.
Linus Sebastian said:

well for $40 considering how it could typically overclock to 2ghz+ at CAS 11,or keep the 1600mhz clock for a low latency they were an awesome deal.

but for $60-100 it's a rip off.

but I mean $40 for extremely low profile ram that hardly heats up,has a sexy black/brown pcb and overclocks like a beast.F*ck Yeah it's a great deal

Linus Sebastian said:

yea I agree with you because I wanted to use this ram in order to have clearance with my Hyper 212 Evo but now its so expensive that I don't think I would get it since its a rip off...

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I had bought 2x4gb g.skill drr3 1600mhz for around 40$ now its 63$ :/

This to be exact http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

glad i do not need to buy RAM any time soon......

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

This is exactly the way I saw it, whether or not it's justified I don't know, but the same thing happened at the jump to DDR3. Maybe it's happening a little sooner than expected, but I'm not surprised at all, in fact I was counting on it happening.

They are just building up some cash for investment into new technology like DDR4 and like that article said mobile modules. RAM will be cheap again, once there is enough demand for what's coming next!

Damn, I was going to buy some cool LED RAM sticks soon. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148554) Looks like I'll be waiting.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole