what aluminium thickness

wildgg

Hey LTT members,

i have a question about aluminium thickness for pc pannels/cases.

my plan is to make either a custom pc case or mod a old pc case like the top and front pannels.

i was wondering what thickness would be good for this? i was thinking about atleast 2mm maby 3mm because it needs to be strong enough for radiator support etc.

btw. price is not a problem.

thx in advance!

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

3mm is pretty thick considering aircraft skin is less than 1mm and frames/stringers around 1.6mm, but theyre bent for rigidity to be fair. I would think 2mm would be more than enough, it depends how much material is left after you cut it

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Also depends on how heavy you want it to be, I mean if you want a tank steel plating around your pc for times of need once ww3 hits then you'll be the most prepared ;), although it won't be portable.. Just comes down to what you want, if you want it to be portable then make it thinner, if you want it to be durable but heavier then make it thicker 

1 hour ago, wildthing said:

Hey LTT members,

i have a question about aluminium thickness for pc pannels/cases.

my plan is to make either a custom pc case or mod a old pc case like the top and front pannels.

i was wondering what thickness would be good for this? i was thinking about atleast 2mm maby 3mm because it needs to be strong enough for radiator support etc.

btw. price is not a problem.

thx in advance!

It depends on what tools you have access to and what kind of industrial design your going for, as mentioned 2-3mm is pretty heavy stuff like what you will find on caselab products. As long as you have the tools to do the bending and cutting you should be fine, but generally 18 to 16 gauge is pretty good for modding and such.