Ethernet?

charbel1011

I have right now a comcast router running in the living room and my gaming pc is connected to wifi and there's no way for me to put ethernet in this house what are my chances to use ethernet without running cables and stuff ? and something better than wifi for constant connection for games like csgo.

1 minute ago, charbel1011 said:

I have right now a comcast router running in the living room and my gaming pc is connected to wifi and there's no way for me to put ethernet in this house what are my chances to use ethernet without running cables and stuff ? and something better than wifi for constant connection for games like csgo.

Powerline

3 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Powerline

This may or may not work better, depending on a number of things.  Plus, you still need to "run cables and stuff" to use it :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This may or may not work better, depending on a number of things.  Plus, you still need to "run cables and stuff" to use it :P

Yeah, but you need to do that regardless with ethernet.

you can get a couple of Powerline Adapters to run cables utilizing you homes/apartments electrical wiring.

on amazon here is an example

TP-Link AV1200 Powerline Adapter, Gigabit w/ Power Outlet Pass-through, Up to 1200Mbps (TL-PA8010P KIT)

"Cheapness is not a skill"

Personally I would rather run one cable through a small hole in the wall than getting two cables, and powerline adapters only to have no idea how well it will perform, but to each their own I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Personally I would rather run one cable through a small hole in the wall than getting two cables, and powerline adapters only to have no idea how well it will perform, but to each their own I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

how should i know? if i the powerline adapter will work with my electricity?

I know you said you can not run ethernet but why/where?

Could you run a cable outside?

Or, I've never suggested this but I'm planning on doing it when i build, have you thought about running a cable under skirting boards if you have them? Idk about you but i can put cable under it. You could go for a flat cable instead of a round one.

To cross doors you would only have to lift the edge of the carpet/vinyl up there.

But if you want a simple why gets some powerline adapters, performance is limited by the interference from the electric.

Also if they are on different circuits, thus passing through the fuse box, there will be huge interference and very limited speed and unstable connection.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

4 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

how should i know? if i the powerline adapter will work with my electricity?

I don't think there really is a way to know in advance.  They might work great, but be prepared to take them back if they don't.

Like @Ryan_Vickers said there is not good way of knowing but a few things main things affect it:

•  Age of the wiring - quality, lower quality will result in more interference.
  •  Not been on the same circuit - If so the signal will have to go through the fuse box and there will be huge interference.

The more interference the lower the bandwidth and higher the latency, packet loss (if bad enough) and other stuff but i varies. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

just drill holes all over the place run the ethernet to where ever. if you refuse to dill holes get like 500 wifi repeater and put next to each other until it reach your pc. you should also tell us why you "can't" run ethernet.

12 hours ago, mad dudy said:

just drill holes all over the place run the ethernet to where ever. if you refuse to dill holes get like 500 wifi repeater and put next to each other until it reach your pc. you should also tell us why you "can't" run ethernet.

Because i live in my uncle house temporarily till i finish my college. and you know how it's rules and stuff and his house is new so he doesn't like the idea of putting cables that's showing and messy and he doesn't like drilling stuff xD

8 hours ago, charbel1011 said:

Because i live in my uncle house temporarily till i finish my college. and you know how it's rules and stuff and his house is new so he doesn't like the idea of putting cables that's showing and messy and he doesn't like drilling stuff xD

cut a bunch of holes in the walls, run the wires you want, patch the holes then paint it back. lots of work but worth it.

You can look in to Moca if you have coax in both locations. The adapters aint cheap. There are also some other restrictions but most real word tests of Moca 2.0 adapters I saw got at least 400 Mbps. Which its pretty good if you ask me. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

You can use a fish tape to pull cables under carpet or up or down through walls or floors.

Bringing ethernet up to an attic or down to a basement/crawlspace will generally allow you to run ethernet to whichever wall you might like except possibly for exterior walls where a short outdoor run would probably work. 

If the house has areas with no carpet or is all hardwood floors then powerline adapters allow you to send ethernet through the 120/240 volt power receptacle plugs. Powerline also would not require additional tools to use.

Pulling cable will take longer and be more hassle to retrofit than powerline and will require finishing touches like wall plates and possibly some drywall or lathe & plaster repair. Additional tools to install hard cabling which you might need would be a power drill, fish tape, cable terminator/crimper, short drill bits, caulk gun and caulking, spackle and spackling knife, and probably some LONG drill bits (about 12-18") to punch through doubled floor plate 2x4s (when coming up from below) or doubled ceiling plate 2x4s (when coming down from above) or through exterior wall sheathing like stucco, brick, or siding and the sheathing and support beams that may be there.

In summary:

TL;DNR/Short Answer: Use powerline adapters or use a fish tape to pull cables under carpet

Long answer: You can use a fish tape to pull cables under carpet or up or down through walls or floors and finish the presentation to make the ethernet ports on the wall look as if they were always there. A tasteful and finished look can be accomplished with the right tools, materials, time, effort and $$.

On 20/01/2017 at 9:57 PM, charbel1011 said:

what are my chances to use ethernet without running cables and stuff ?

Your chances are absoloute zero, ethernet uses cables /end

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini