Is it a lemon? Or is something not right here...

Go to solution Solved by PixlRabt,

So I formatted the HDD instead of opting for a new one, reinstalled windows and it runs like a dream now. Pleasantly surprised at how zippy a machine this has become with a completely fresh install of windows, should tide me over well until my next laptop purchase. Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.

3 minutes ago, Kierax said:

I'd seriously suspect that something is interfering with the drivers of the current laptop from the previous drivers.  A clean install may help things somewhat, adding an SSD would help it even more.

2 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Yeah .... that could also be the problem

Yeah, I can appreciate it certainly wasn't the smartest decision and it's certainly a source that I suspected might have issues. Just thought I'd ask first before going through the long process of testing with a fresh install and all the rest. But, the test I intend to do with stealing my desktop SSD should clear up whether or not that's an issue hopefully.

3 minutes ago, tharrison14 said:

Yeah, I can appreciate it certainly wasn't the smartest decision and it's certainly a source that I suspected might have issues. Just thought I'd ask first before going through the long process of testing with a fresh install and all the rest. But, the test I intend to do with stealing my desktop SSD should clear up whether or not that's an issue hopefully.

Yeah. And make sure to use the iso files from microsoft since some from 3rd party websites sometimes have other things loaded on them(thats what i heard)

6 minutes ago, igan3w_ said:

I see. And also have you checked the temps of your notebook? I'm not really sure but it might have a little chance that its overheating. Perhaps.

4 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

What I would do is check temps, I don't know why it would be overheating now if it didn't before but maybe. Also check the BIOS because I know a lot of laptops like that, such as my old A6 one, have options for CPU/GPU frequency reduction in the BIOS to save battery. I use my A6 laptop for school now (typing this on it actually) and I have the CPU turned down to 800Mhz max and get way more battery.

I'll definitely look into this asap but I've never had a reason to suspect overheating. I've never had this machine feel even remotely hot. I've been trying to figure out how to get into the bios but the Acer start screen doesn't tell me which hotkey it is for this particular setup haha, although I'll admit I haven't yet gone to the effort of searching it up properly.

Just looked up the specs and it's an APU-only laptop indeed.  no secondary graphics card.  So it's either HDD speed (unlikely), thermal throttling or a driver issue due to conflicts with the old hardware drivers. 

Start by re-installing Windows on the HDD that's currently in the laptop, before you corrupt your SSD's OS.  If that doesn't solve it, check the temps with HWmonitor or Speccy.  (portable versions are available if you don't like installing unnecessary stuff).

2 minutes ago, tharrison14 said:

I'll definitely look into this asap but I've never had a reason to suspect overheating. I've never had this machine feel even remotely hot. I've been trying to figure out how to get into the bios but the Acer start screen doesn't tell me which hotkey it is for this particular setup haha, although I'll admit I haven't yet gone to the effort of searching it up properly.

check for the manual for this notebook on the acer website. it should tell you how to get into the bios

2 minutes ago, igan3w_ said:

Yeah. And make sure to use the iso files from microsoft since some from 3rd party websites sometimes have other things loaded on them(thats what i heard)

Yeah, I recently reinstalled windows 10 on my desktop SSD only a few weeks ago and still have my USB boot media from the windows tool ready to go.

1 minute ago, tharrison14 said:

Probably delete or F2, if not those then F1 or maybe CTRL+ALT+ESC

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Just looked up the specs and it's an APU-only laptop indeed.  no secondary graphics card.  So it's either HDD speed (unlikely), thermal throttling or a driver issue due to conflicts with the old hardware drivers. 

Start by re-installing Windows on the HDD that's currently in the laptop, before you corrupt your SSD's OS.  If that doesn't solve it, check the temps with HWmonitor or Speccy.  (portable versions are available if you don't like installing unnecessary stuff).

That's not actually a bad idea,starting with this HDD first. Problem is I'm running out of space and drives real fast. Small hoarding problem. The HDD in this machine is less than half full but most of it is photos and old school/work stuff that I'd like to keep and my desktop only has about 70GB spare. Think I may just bite the bullet and invest in a new SSD come next pay. If it solves everything, fantastic. If not, it'll still make a welcome addition to the desktop and my overall storage situation.

2 minutes ago, tharrison14 said:

That's not actually a bad idea,starting with this HDD first. Problem is I'm running out of space and drives real fast. Small hoarding problem. The HDD in this machine is less than half full but most of it is photos and old school/work stuff that I'd like to keep and my desktop only has about 70GB spare. Think I may just bite the bullet and invest in a new SSD come next pay. If it solves everything, fantastic. If not, it'll still make a welcome addition to the desktop and my overall storage situation.

well, all i can say now is wish you luck and hope that it would be a success.

7 minutes ago, igan3w_ said:

check for the manual for this notebook on the acer website. it should tell you how to get into the bios

6 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Probably delete or F2, if not those then F1 or maybe CTRL+ALT+ESC

Yeah I'll definitely check the manual, don't wanna go hitting random keys during boot. My old HP laptop I got at the start of 2014 was F12, if memory serves. Don't know why they can't standardise it and make life easier for noobs like me.

Yeah I'll definitely check the manual, don't wanna go hitting random keys during boot. My old HP laptop I got at the start of 2014 was F12, if memory serves. Don't know why they can't standardise it and make life easier for noobs like me.

Yep. Another thing I hate is when manuals just tell you "press this button to enter setup". You would think setup is BIOS, right? Nope, half the time it's the boot menu.

2 minutes ago, igan3w_ said:

well, all i can say now is wish you luck and hope that it would be a success.

Cheers, I'll update this thread again with the final outcome once I finally reach it haha. Thanks to everyone for the help, who knew upgrading a laptop would be more of a headache than building and maintaining my gaming rig ever was :/

2 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Yep. Another thing I hate is when manuals just tell you "press this button to enter setup". You would think setup is BIOS, right? Nope, half the time it's the boot menu.

Precisely, and I'm fairly certain sometimes the boot menu is completely separate from the bios. Wish they could just be as straightforward as desktop BIOS'.

Precisely, and I'm fairly certain sometimes the boot menu is completely separate from the bios. Wish they could just be as straightforward as desktop BIOS'.

Desktop motherboards do this too. You can access the boot order settings in BIOS but then there's also another button for the boot menu, separate from the BIOS. I can only assume there's a reason they do that but I don't know it...

• 3 weeks later...

So I formatted the HDD instead of opting for a new one, reinstalled windows and it runs like a dream now. Pleasantly surprised at how zippy a machine this has become with a completely fresh install of windows, should tide me over well until my next laptop purchase. Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.