I5 4690k downclocking under load -___-

Cactu

so I have had my cpu for about 2 years now and this problem has been consistent throughout but I thought I would give it another shot. when under 100 percent load my cpu will jump from its 4.6ghz overclock to 3.5ghz stock speeds (as seen below) and go back and forth untill the load is over. It is not thermal or voltage limitations as I have done extensive research in both topics. I hope for some unique solutions. thanks in advance

Untitled.png

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

called thermal throttling get a better cooling solution 

i already said it is not. I am getting no readings of it and my temps are always below 70C. read the post next time.

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

disable speedstep, all eco-friendly options, and turbo mode in the BIOS. 

already tried. problem still exists

1 minute ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

already tried. problem still exists

Try changing the LLC to level 1. If that doesn't do anything try resetting the CMOS and overclocking again.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Try changing the LLC to level 1. If that doesn't do anything try resetting the CMOS and overclocking again.

Would LLC be marked as something else because I didnt see it in my bios

There's a couple settings in the BIOS setup that could be restraining it, the one that most comes to mind is some kind of power or current limit set for the CPU. That might be because your ITX board doesn't have a beefy enoug VRM to handle all that additional current going through it, but you should look to see if you can disable these power limits.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

There's a couple settings in the BIOS setup that could be restraining it, the one that most comes to mind is some kind of power or current limit set for the CPU. That might be because your ITX board doesn't have a beefy enoug VRM to handle all that additional current going through it, but you should look to see if you can disable these power limits.

I have been through every setting in my OC and chipset menu and anything that looks like it would remotely change my power delivery i have on override/manual.

7 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

I have been through every setting in my OC and chipset menu and anything that looks like it would remotely change my power delivery i have on override/manual.

did you tried maybe test another CPU, maybe it is defective.

1 minute ago, JoaoDforce said:

did you tried maybe test another CPU, maybe it is defective.

I dont just have another cpu onhand lol

I dont just have another cpu onhand lol

haha sorry, its just that from what i read you tried everything, might as well troubleshoot in other ways.

maybe your PSU voltage is going down underload, thats a thing i belive, it is high quality or is low-end?

now or old?

haha sorry, its just that from what i read you tried everything, might as well troubleshoot in other ways.

maybe your PSU voltage is going down underload, thats a thing i belive, it is high quality or is low-end?

now or old?

psu is a cx 550m so not exactly the best psu but 550w is more than enough for my hardware

psu is a cx 550m so not exactly the best psu but 550w is more than enough for my hardware

indeed, but you bought everything new? or is there something second hand?

cuz somethings looks to me wrong in your setup.

4 minutes ago, JoaoDforce said:

indeed, but you bought everything new? or is there something second hand?

cuz somethings looks to me wrong in your setup.

everything is new (or was 2 years ago when I bought it)

everything is new (or was 2 years ago when I bought it)

ah, so your build isnt new then, didi u overvoltge your cpu or something? cuz it sure sounds like some component is failing, if i were you would start hitting on those waranties if you still got some.

ah, so your build isnt new then, didi u overvoltge your cpu or something? cuz it sure sounds like some component is failing, if i were you would start hitting on those waranties if you still got some.

Its been doing this since I got it so nothing unusual, I just thought I would try again to fix this shit. if this persists It wont bother me that much, but its annoying

3 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

If possible, maybe you can try to borrow another PSU and try if your problem still persist. Just a thought, what if your CPU while underload (meaning need to draw more power to it) but your PSU cannot give out that much?

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

1 minute ago, VolkA said:

If possible, maybe you can try to borrow another PSU and try if your problem still persist. Just a thought, what if your CPU while underload (meaning need to draw more power to it) but your PSU cannot give out that much?

Its worth a shot. Ill ask around.

2 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

Its worth a shot. Ill ask around.

Doesn't really have good impression on CX series PSU as my friend used to have it and giving all sort of issue in the past. But maybe it was just him. Haha.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

1 minute ago, VolkA said:

Doesn't really have good impression on CX series PSU as my friend used to have it and giving all sort of issue in the past. But maybe it was just him. Haha.

no, the cx series are shit. but when I built my rig I was dumb enough to choose a $200 keyboard over a 980 so I was also dumb enough to buy a shitty psu.

no, the cx series are shit. but when I built my rig I was dumb enough to choose a $200 keyboard over a 980 so I was also dumb enough to buy a shitty psu.

We all learn from mistake. Like for me, I learn that in Singapore the average temp is around 30+C and I don't have air conditioning in my room so no AMD GPU for me. Used to have 2 r9 290x CF, my room was like a hot ^%&^@#%!^#!@. Now that I am seeing your post, I wonder if my 4690K also has the same issue just that I am not aware of it ... Time to do some testing tonight. Haha.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

Would LLC be marked as something else because I didnt see it in my bios

I don't think it should be marked as something else but there are a few motherboards out there that don't support it, mine being one. You might want to check on that.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb