$64 Pentium G4560 is neck and neck against i5-2500K

cozz
1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

Someone looking to buy an i3 should really look into a Pentium, at half the price, I can't see why you would take an i3 over a Pentium.

Well the strongest Pentium is still weaker than the weakest Kaby Lake i3, but benchmarks do show that the difference is marginal.  I think the G4620 is the best buy right now for mid-range gaming.  I'm planning a build for a friend and that's what I'm getting him (once the prices actually go down to MSRP, they're jacked up right now).  I was just stating that there still IS a difference.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

28 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

No, they are the new Pentiums.  The new i3's are better than the new Pentiums.

I thought the biggest difference between the pentium and i3 was that pentium didn't have hyperthreading.

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

I thought the biggest difference between the pentium and i3 was that pentium didn't have hyperthreading.

It was.  But now they have hyper-threading.  The difference between an i3 and a Pentium is almost non-existent now.

Of course there's the name difference.  Stupid people will say "You have a Pentium, there's no way you can run a modern game." xD

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

14 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Well the strongest Pentium is still weaker than the weakest Kaby Lake i3, but benchmarks do show that the difference is marginal.  I think the G4620 is the best buy right now for mid-range gaming.  I'm planning a build for a friend and that's what I'm getting him (once the prices actually go down to MSRP, they're jacked up right now).  I was just stating that there still IS a difference.

You're right, the i3 will be faster, even if it's only slightly. But the question is, is that less than 10% difference worth double the price (the ones I linked, $64 vs $117)? :P

Personally, I don't think so!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

24 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Performance, and one of them has an unlocked multiplier.  There is also some other obscure feature that only exists in the core series, but I can't remember what it's called.

Yes, i3 7100 has 0.4 GHz greater clock rate, but it's also more expensive.Unlocked i3s are pointless unless you have a good cooler and a Z motherboard

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

You're right, the i3 will be faster, even if it's only slightly. But the question is, is that less than 10% difference worth double the price (the ones I linked, $64 vs $117)? :P

Not in my opinion.  The difference between generations has been getting smaller and smaller in raw performance.

31 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Seems the new Pentiums with HT are virtually similar to the i3 but with slower clock...

And lack of avx2

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

These results are all fine and good but we all know they're still underselling it... Where's the LTT review comparing it to the i7 7700k at 8K gaming? xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 1/19/2017 at 6:34 AM, i_build_nanosuits said:

just try battlefield 1 or watchdogs 2 on a dual-core with hyper-threading...these games stutter even on a core i5 CPU. :P

Both those games run decent on the i3-6100.

11 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Both those games run decent on the i3-6100.

This is the LTT community. Majority (not I) will say that 60Hz isn't decent and only 144Hz is acceptable.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

This is the LTT community. Majority (not I) will say that 60Hz isn't decent and only 144Hz is acceptable.

That's stupid lol.  I'm new here though, so I guess I haven't picked up that arrogant attitude yet. Who knows, maybe I'll get snobby after awhile though. 9_9

8 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's stupid lol.  I'm new here though, so I guess I haven't picked up that arrogant attitude yet. Who knows, maybe I'll get snobby after awhile though. 9_9

Hopefully not. 60Hz should be the standard no matter what genre (unless it's a puzzle or VN) with higher being situational. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Hopefully not. 60Hz should be the standard no matter what genre (unless it's a puzzle or VN) with higher being situational. 

I played Tomb Raider at 45fps (I had to have perfect hair lol) and I enjoyed it.  I noticed it of course, but I can enjoy a game at even 30fps.  It just needs to be steady.  Stuttering annoys the hell out of me.

29 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

As someone who's briefly witnessed a 144 hz monitor, I can totally understand how, after getting used to it, you'd look down on 60 the way most here look down on 30.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

As someone who's briefly witnessed a 144 hz monitor, I can totally understand how, after getting used to it, you'd look down on 60 the way most here look down on 30.

So I've heard.  Which is why I purposefully avoid looking at any 144hz monitors. xD

I sort of doubt my eyes (I don't mean everyone) could tell a difference though.  As long as it's steady, I can barely tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps.

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

So I've heard.  Which is why I purposefully avoid looking at any 144hz monitors. xD

I sort of doubt my eyes (I don't mean everyone) could tell a difference though.  As long as it's steady, I can barely tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps.

wow... I often grossly underestimate the framerate of things under 60, and tbh even of things over 60 due to the stutter.  30 looks like 15 to me :P 

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

wow... I often grossly underestimate the framerate of things under 60, and tbh even of things over 60 due to the stutter.  30 looks like 15 to me :P 

Are you using V-Sync?

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Are you using V-Sync?

no, or it might help.

26 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I lost the wow factor of higher frame-rate at around 80Hz. My three panels are 72Hz and I like that how it works, but over that it starts losing impact for me. We're all different, though, and we should consider the types of advantages in a situation. Like RTS, if you think 144Hz will help, it won't if you're "not seeing the enemy in time". In FPS, you might need the higher as it you depend on first response and accuracy of motion. If you're reading a VN and need 144Hz, God (or a therapist) help you...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

I lost the wow factor of higher frame-rate at around 80Hz. My three panels are 72Hz and I like that how it works, but over that it starts losing impact for me. We're all different, though, and we should consider the types of advantages in a situation. Like RTS, if you think 144Hz will help, it won't if you're "not seeing the enemy in time". In FPS, you might need the higher as it you depend on first response and accuracy of motion. If you're reading a VN and need 144Hz, God (or a therapist) help you...

The monitor I saw wasn't even running a game demo, it was that noticeable just moving the mouse around and scrolling the start menu xD 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The monitor I saw wasn't even running a game demo, it was that noticeable just moving the mouse around and scrolling the start menu xD 

I'm used to console gaming, so a steady 60fps looks amazing.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Sometimes... finding Microsoft Word among the other tiles is its own game...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

I'm used to console gaming, so a steady 60fps looks amazing.

Spoiler

JyZ1Bak.jpg

:P 

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Yep: in a similar fashion I've been told I'm bottlenecking my 1070 by using a 4440 for 1440p DSR, even after showing video evidence of the contrary I recorded myself. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

37 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Yep: in a similar fashion I've been told I'm bottlenecking my 1070 by using a 4440 for 1440p DSR, even after showing video evidence of the contrary I recorded myself. 

Disappointing. I thought I'd joined a community of intelligent people who understood that labels aren't what matter, not a Master Race group. :(